INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlist Request  (Read 798 times)

mclaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Smartlist Request
« on: January 07, 2003, 01:31:18 pm »

As I've gotten more and more into smartlists, I'm trying to use the "comments" field to further divide my collection into smaller groups.  Sometimes it's to make a 'subgenre', such as countryrock, which is a subset of rock.  Other times, I'm making smartlists like 'live', 'instrumental', or 'chill', and these have all different genres.
In each case, I'm using the comment field to sort them- so a file could have a comment field like these:
countryrock
powerpop live
chill instrumental
The problem is that MJ doesn't see these each as separate variables- I also tried using a comma to separate them.
So- can we introduce a wild card type symbol (such as %) to allow this?
Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Smartlist Request
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2003, 01:43:04 pm »

You may have better luck creating playlist groups / playlists for organization.

Check out the "Playlists" properties pane (on the right of the file list) -- it's pretty slick.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mclaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2003, 01:49:55 pm »

Hi Matt- I'm the same guy that's been begging for this kind of control in the Ipod threads.

When you say the "playlist properties pane", what do you mean?  I'm looking, and I don't see it.
The reason I would rather add a wild card for searching is so I can stay in a complete smartlist environment, and then the lists will grow as I rip (and comment field) more stuff- rather than manually adding things if I think about it to a playlist.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2003, 06:19:24 pm »

Right click on a file and pick "Properties."  Then, in that window, click on the word at the top (like "Properties") and pick "Playlists".  From there, you can create and assign files to playlists.

Some combination of creating user DB fields (like "Subgenre") and making playlist groups for organization should get you were you want to go.  

Don't try to do too much with just one field -- like "comment".  If you give more specifics about what exactly you want, people may have some good ideas...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up