INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server  (Read 976 times)

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Media Server
« on: January 02, 2003, 03:57:10 pm »

There is a thread in The other board about Media Server but it's way over my head.
\http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1041367290

I'm going to start one here. Starting with the basics.

I can start Media Server but how do I log on to a Media Server. There used to be a place to type an address but I can't find how to get there anymore.

Also, about my server address:

The one that defaults is reported by GRC \http://www.grc.com

as:

The Internet Protocol (IP) Address Specified
belongs to a Private Network. . .

Private Networks:
The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) demonstrated their amazing foresight by setting aside several "chunks" of the 32-bit Internet Protocol (IP) address space. They understood that there would be situations where organizations might want to create an "off the Internet" private network without needing to get official allocations of "public" IP space. Since these addresses would be disjoint and disconnected from the rest of the Internet, they could be freely used and reused without concern of "collision". In other words, two different machines located in different companies might have identical IP addresses. This would cause no problem because neither machine could be reachable from the Internet nor to each other.

Four regions of IP addresses were defined, creating four "sub-networks" of differing sizes and routing complexity:

10.0.0.0   –   10.255.255.255

169.254.0.0   –   169.254.255.255

172.16.0.0   –   172.31.255.255

192.168.0.0   –   192.168.255.255

There is another address defined as my "Internet Address". This changes each time I log on to my ISP.  
Being as I have no need for a "Private Address", is there a way to disable it so Media Server will default to the internet address of the moment?

There's more but this will do for now.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

RemyJ

Re: Media Server
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2003, 05:11:59 pm »

Media Server uses any and all address that are assigned to a machine at the time.   Of course, if you only have 1 machine you don't need it.

On the Ip address front...

There are 3 ways to get an IP address:

1)  You manually edit the properties of a connection and assign one.  Normally known as "static".

2)  You are attached to a network that has a DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server.  Most consumer "Broadband Routers" now contain DHCP servers and your ISP most definitely has them.

3)  If you don't have a static address assigned and Windows can't find a DHCP server, it assigns one from the 169.254.*.* pool.

So assuming you have more than one machine in the house...   On the server machine, if you open a command prompt, and type "ipconfig", you'll get the ip addresses assigned.  If you're connected to the internet, you should NOT use the address assigned by the ISP because of the possibility of having your packets routed out to the ISP and back again.  

Once you've got the ip address, on a Media Center client, you now get to the server by adding a library in the library manager with a location that looks like this: "m01p://ipaddress:port" substituting the real ip address and port.  The port defaults to 80.

If this doesn;t get you working, describe your home network and how you're connected to the internet.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Server
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2003, 05:38:28 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up