INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mysterious Loss of 30 Percent of Media Library  (Read 1205 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Mysterious Loss of 30 Percent of Media Library
« on: December 29, 2002, 11:13:59 am »

Anyone have any idea why this happened?

1200+ of my 4000 songs that were on MC9 suddenly disappeared.  The files were still on the hard drive so it was no problem re-importing them back into MC9.

But...

Most of the cover art was missing when I re-imported them back into MC9.  Fortunately I have all my cover art in a separate folder from MC9 so I added them all back.  Needles to say, this was a real pain in the you-know-what to have to do something that I had already done before.

Tags usually automatically update when a file is changed (I have this turned on) so why no cover art?.

I have made no changes to MC9, in fact I am running the same 9.0.88 version that I have had for the last two weeks.

* Why did this happen?
* Why was the cover art not re-imported along with the WMA files as they usually are?

The more I play with cover art, the bigger pain it becomes.  It is beginning to act more and more like a high maintenance issue.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
Re: Mysterious Loss of 30 Percent of Media Library
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2002, 01:16:57 pm »

Hi DocLotus,
when I tried to work with wma and cover-art myself a few weeks ago, it was a real pain, it seemed to work at random. I reported it somewhere and JimH mentioned that there were some problems with wma format and cover-art. That was 2 or 3 MC releases back. Don't know whether they fixed it, probably not. Also my whole library vanished. Fortunately I had backups.

As I spent these holidays re-ripping my classical music collection in ape format, I must say this worked pretty well except regular crashes of MJ at the end of some operations. Fortunately no data was ever lost. And I have a separate ape library for the moment!

As for classical music not belonging to the top labels, almost no-cover-art exists, so I decided to scan all my cover-art myself. Worked mainly with the option get cover-art from scanner. Works very well, although the process could be more automated.

Since wma and cover-art was faulty I stopped doing that for the time being!

DocLotus

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2002, 02:13:39 pm »

Hi Jaguu;

I gave up trying to get cover art form the internet, it varies all over the place in quality.  And like you said, very little classical cover art can be found at all.  Over all, I?ve only found about 60 percent cover art on the internet.

I?ve recently completed making high resolution scans (1000 x 1000) of all 300+ of my CD?s.  I?ve found it actually faster to scan the covers then to find them on the net, plus I have complete control over the quality.

If JRiver is still having problems with the implementation of the WMA format, I suggest they get on the ball & resolve it fast as WMA is only one of a few universally accepted standards that can read by many platforms.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2002, 02:28:53 pm »

If JRiver is still having problems with the implementation of the WMA format, I suggest they get on the ball & resolve it fast as WMA is only one of a few universally accepted standards that can read by many platforms.

Doc,
JRiver doesn't have trouble with WMA.  

The problem is that Microsoft has a new version of WMP in beta, which creates new possibilities and new problems, but they have not released an SDK for it, so we can't do much.  We also can't be sure what problems are due to their bugs or ours, so we'll just wait until they are done with beta and release the SDK to clean up whatever problems they've left us.

Jim

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2002, 02:57:53 pm »

someone posted a link to the SDK released In Sep, not sure if thats what you needed but there was a link to somthing.

I'm Not A WMA Fan
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2002, 03:15:04 pm »

Hi Jim;

I'm not using the new WMA format but the one that came with MC9.

But... I have downloaded the WMP 9 beta when it first came out.  Could this have any connection to the problem I've experienced with lost media & missing cover art?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2002, 03:23:06 pm »

Yes, but we won't know until we have the SDK from Microsoft.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2002, 03:37:57 pm »

I have never downloaded any WMP9 beta versions and all my wma files are version 7 or 8 created about 12-15 months ago!

I assume MC9 does not yet have any specific WMP9 related code, so there must be some bug with the wma version 8 and cover-art as I reported a few weeks ago

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=beta;action=display;num=1038410552;start=3

Pages: [1]   Go Up