INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External USB2 hard drive woes  (Read 758 times)

LeoH

• World Citizen
External USB2 hard drive woes
« on: November 26, 2002, 06:54:18 pm »

MJ9 ('cus me, Media Center 9) comes to a screeching halt and crashes when adding cover art images to database entries when MP3 files and cover art images reside on an external USB2 hard drive (Western Digital 120MB). Program crashes sooner or later every time while adding cover art. Sometimes I can add a few pics and other times it crashes on the first try. The problem occurs in the same manner on multiple PC's (Windows XP, P4 and various mother boards). I will try the same with 1394-based external drives and report back after Turkey Day. Happy Holidays.

-Leo

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: External USB2 hard drive woes
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 03:50:31 am »

It's possible that there is some latency in the drive's response that causes problems at the OS level.

MJ doesn't treat a USB drive any differently for this.

LeoH

• World Citizen
Re: External USB2 hard drive woes
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 07:57:48 am »

Jim,

My apologies for not being more thorough. MC9 crashes while attempting to attach images to audio whether the image is embedded or pointer and whether the media database is on an internal or external drive. MC9 exhibits this behavior on an IBM Thinkpad (PIII/384k RAM) as well as a desk machine with a P4/1G RAM.

With more careful testing, the problem happens considerably more frequently with the external drive and I would guess you are correct about the latency of the USB2 drive path.

BTW-the images that are being attached are 400x400 pixel scans of the album cover art. The images are scanned and JPEG'd in Photoshop and are about 75k in size.

-Leo
Pages: [1]   Go Up