INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scanning Cover Art only works from time to time!  (Read 869 times)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Scanning Cover Art only works from time to time!
« on: November 27, 2002, 05:22:31 am »

JRiver,
tried to scan about a dozen cover arts with my HP Scanjet 5300C as I have plenty of unconventional music, where cover art cannot be found on the internet. Well, this function does not work properly! The following things happen:

1) Sometimes MC9 crashes sending a report to MS!
2) Sometimes it works and I get a cover art on MC9! The flag to store internally is always one. I use wma format.
2a) Sometimes all album tracks get cover art displayed
2b) Sometimes only the first track gets cover art displayed
3) Sometimes scanning process is working properly, but no cover art is displayed, although the file's modification time is changed (no tag saving takes place!)! In this case there is also no file in the cover art folder, which in my case is Home>MyPicture>CoverArt.
4) If the the quality of the first scan is not proper (white boards) and I do a re-scan of the cover art the picture in MC9 that displayed the first time just vanishes again.
5) The file properties show that sometimes the cover art image is stored internally in the music file, sometimes it displays the filename to file in  the the cover art directory!

I also have the impression that the image file is stored in the music file, but it is simply not displayed in MC9.

If you want, I can send you one of those files that do not display the cover art in MC9.

I did a select scanner at the beginning and I am using the following driver: WIA-Hewlett-Packard Scanjet 5300C (1.0). Also from time to time after selecting the driver or after scanning I get the error message: unable to load twain driver!

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.84 -- C:\Programme\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 700 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 161 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive Y:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive Z:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive Y: PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W1610A   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Scanning Cover Art only works from time to tim
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 05:28:57 am »

Can you try this on some MP3 files?  The reason is that WMA files can be a problem by themselves right now if they were encoded with WMP9.

It's also very possible that it's our bug, but it would be nice to know whether it's specific to WMA.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 05:33:53 am »

OK, I will try MP3, will let you know later!

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2002, 06:41:21 am »

JimH,

as I have no MP3 files right now, I tried with 10 albums in ape format and it always worked, exept once that MC9 crashed with a report to MS at the end of the scan process, but the image was still saved properly.

So all cover art images display properly, even after re-scanning the cover art a second time with slightly adjusted image size of the scan.

Also tried again with some wma files, I had the same problem again. My wma files are either wma7 or wm8, no new wma9 format. So it seems to be more a problem with the wma format.

By the way I discovered something else: If you load a new  library, the default library stays in place and the two libraries are merged! Is this by design or a bug? In MJ8 the newly loaded library replaced the default library!

I will later on convert the ape files in mp3 and try again with this format!

By the way, I like MC9 a lot, looking forward when you introduce a new  image tagging format.
Pages: [1]   Go Up