INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IF you take a 128 kb/s and convert  to a 320 kb/t  (Read 2250 times)

X-AIRFORCE

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
IF you take a 128 kb/s and convert  to a 320 kb/t
« on: January 02, 2003, 11:52:11 am »

MP3.

Anybody know whether it is just a crap shoot or is it actually transfering back data using the reverse Algorithm that it used to compress it?

Just curious that you can even do it with media plus software.

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: IF you take a 128 kb/s and convert  to a 320 k
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2003, 12:05:04 pm »

Well you can certainly do it but MP3 is a "lossy" compression scheme which means that whatever was lost during the original encoing at 128 is gone forever.  
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

X-AIRFORCE

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2003, 12:28:37 pm »

So,

Again what is it replacing the lost data with? Does the Algorithm try to replace the lost data?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2003, 12:35:35 pm »

The data is converted from MP3 into WAVE format. The unknown bits are filled in with noise. The WAVE is compressed to MP3 at the larger bitrate, but the extra data is just the noise. So no it does not help. In fact, it can make it worse since each compression loses stuff, you actually can get worse quality (than 192).

j

X-AIRFORCE

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2003, 12:44:27 pm »

Why does the software allow you to uncompress (go from 128 MP3 to 320 MP3) if it ruins the music further. Seems like a softare glitch that needs to be repaired so novices don't get the wrong idea about music media 8.0 plus?

rocketsauce

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2003, 01:11:07 pm »

May be there could be a warning that pops up whenever a user tries to transcode from a lower bitrate to a higher bitrate or from one lossy format to another (ex: wma to mp3).  Of course, with the option to ignore and turn future warnings off.

Rob

phelt

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2003, 01:46:36 pm »

begin mini-rant:
Frankly I'm tired of features being killed, inhibited, or requiring endless confirmations for the sake of newbies. Anyone with a net connection and a browser can learn just about anything about anything (as this thread exemplifies) with some time and persistence. In this case, and many others, the fact that someone can screw something up is not a "software glitch". IMO, it's RTM or take your chances.
end mini-rant

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2003, 01:57:14 pm »

>> Frankly I'm tired
Maybe a One Time Pop-Up Message?

But I agree with you, I don't want 50 pop-ups to come up when I Just want to use the program

I had to buy a pop-Up blocker cause i hate them, Just Hate Them. And would never buy or go to a website that does pop up or junk e-mail that is sent to me.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Harry The Hipster

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2003, 02:12:45 pm »

In somewhat the same vein -

Does it make any sense to use a higher format for ripping and encoding an audio stream, or should you encode at whatever the stream is set at (say 128kbps)?

I've been ripping streams as wav and compressing to APE on the premise that I didn't want to risk further loss of sound quality, but am I just wasting space?

HTH

X-AIRFORCE

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2003, 02:54:11 pm »

begin mini-rant:
Frankly I'm tired of features being killed, inhibited, or requiring endless confirmations for the sake of newbies. Anyone with a net connection and a browser can learn just about anything about anything (as this thread exemplifies) with some time and persistence. In this case, and many others, the fact that someone can screw something up is not a "software glitch". IMO, it's RTM or take your chances.
end mini-rant

Sorry Pelt,

Totally disagree with you. As an example:

That is like saying if a car manufacturer put in an extra foot pedal next to the gas and brake pedal(in your car) and said it was for extra gas mileage, but actually it put the brakes on and you loose gas milage.

You are saying that I should spend all my free time researching their screw up? It acts like a glitch, looks like a glitch, it is a glitch! Come on. You must be a software engineer.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2003, 03:05:41 pm »

I think some drivers need the two extra foot pedals, maybe three if they are in my way.

Fayetteville, NC, USA

phelt

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2003, 08:26:17 pm »

X-AIRFORCE:
That is like saying if a car manufacturer put in an extra foot pedal next to the gas and brake pedal(in your car) and said it was for extra gas mileage, but actually it put the brakes on and you loose gas milage.

I think this analogy is flawed - there's no deceptive practice and the functionality is not redundant. But to follow along, drivers can accelerate into trees, traffic, and their garage doors if they don't know what they're doing.

You are saying that I should spend all my free time researching their screw up? It acts like a glitch, looks like a glitch, it is a glitch! Come on. You must be a software engineer.

A glitch is an error, or as you say, a screw up. But in this case the program works as intended. You don't like the functionality - fine, that's a matter of opinion. But it's not broken because someone doesn't like it, or someone could do the wrong thing with it.

Overstatement and personal attack aside...  ;)
you're actually the evidence for my postulation. You recognized a possibility and chose to find out the facts. That's good common sense. My point is that there's a balance to be achieved between protecting people from themselves and giving users the power to do whatever the heck they want. I think popping a warning after someone selects "format drive" is a good idea because of the ramifications of that action. I don't think that hiding or removing some functionality from a media program because of possible rash user actions is always a good idea. But if the developers want to implement a popup that I can hide forever, then I really don't care. It's when capabilities are removed, or non-optional popups are added to trivial functions for "my own good" that I become... less happy  :-/

I want to note how proud I am of stating my case without drawing obvious and trollish parallels to freedom of speech, gun control, drunk driving, or Apple ownership... oh, nevermind  :P

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2003, 03:22:57 am »

I think the question has been answered, lets move on.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

X-AIRFORCE

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2003, 05:30:48 am »

Amen,

Thanks for all your help.

X-Airforce