INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mr X CD burning problem  (Read 1744 times)

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Mr X CD burning problem
« on: November 18, 2002, 03:58:56 am »

Copied from another thread:

When I check "use internal ASPI" and "use internal burning engine" I cannot erase a CD-R/W. It starts to erase, then never seems to finish. The program doesn't hang, but I can't do anything with the burner from then on. Closing MJ and re-opening resets everything, but status changes to "unusable disk" or "unwriteable" or something.

Un-checking "use internal burning engine" allows me to erase a CD-R/W (even though I'm using internal ASPI, which wasn't working for me yesterday!).

BTW - a progress meter while erasing would be a welcome addition!

After erasing the CD-R/W, I checked "use internal burning engine", closed and re-started MJ (just to be sure) and tried a burn. Got progress meters, and it seemed to be burning, but there's nothing on the disk!

So, the combination that seems to work for me is un-checking "use internal burning engine" and un-checking "use internal ASPI", and downloading ASPI, except I'm still getting a warning box telling me that I have a version conflict with my ASPI.

Still wondering what the conditions are where you're supposed to use no ASPI, internal ASPI, or downloaded ASPI.

Also, where can I download a proper ASPI without a "version conflict"??

Oh yeah - MJ9 thinks my DVD-ROM is a burner!

-Mr.X

Media Jukebox  9.0.78
Install Path: D:\Program Files\Media Jukebox 9\

wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeSynch   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: LITE-ON LTR-48125W   Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  Lib:3  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Drive F: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1212   Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:0  MaxSpeed:0  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JohnT

Re: Mr X CD burning problem
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2002, 04:30:38 am »

When I check "use internal ASPI" and "use internal burning engine" I cannot erase a CD-R/W. It starts to erase, then never seems to finish. The program doesn't hang, but I can't do anything with the burner from then on. Closing MJ and re-opening resets everything, but status changes to "unusable disk" or "unwriteable" or something.  
Try the next release, I've made some changes in this area that hopefully will fix it for you.

After erasing the CD-R/W, I checked "use internal burning engine", closed and re-started MJ (just to be sure) and tried a burn. Got progress meters, and it seemed to be burning, but there's nothing on the disk!  
First, make sure it's not in test mode. Then, look at the disk on another computer or after restarting the computer. Sometimes windows can get confused and not re-read the table of contents. If the data is definitely not there,  try a cdr disk instead of cd/rw. I'm just wondering if the erase didn't work completely. If MJ will write a cdr disk, it should be able to write a cd/rw disk without problems. If it can't, it's more likely a media problem or drive/driver problems.

BTW - a progress meter while erasing would be a welcome addition!
I'm looking into it. I'm just not sure there's a standard method that works for all burners.

Still wondering what the conditions are where you're supposed to use no ASPI, internal ASPI, or downloaded ASPI.  
With MJ version 9, you should always be able to leave "use internal ASPI" and "use internal burning engine" checked. If that doesn't work it's either a bug that we can fix, or you have a very old "legacy" cd burner that is not supported by our internal burning engine. Since yours is of recent vintage, we should be able to get it working. We will be changing the options screen so that you won't see the confusing details unless you click on an "advanced" button.

Oh yeah - MJ9 thinks my DVD-ROM is a burner!
This has been fixed for the next release.

Also, where can I download a proper ASPI without a "version conflict"??  

Here's the page to download from:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.html?sess=no&cat=/Product/ASPI-4.70&filekey=aspi_v472a2.exe
When you start the download and it asks "open" or "save", choose "open". It will ask to unzip the files to the \adaptec directory - click the unzip button. Close down any programs that may access the cd drives, then follow the directions listed below for installing aspi (note that the name of the install file for win98/me/nt/2000 has changed from aspiinst.exe to aspinit.exe for some reason). Reboot afterwards and run the aspichk.exe program to see if it installed ok.

Installation Instruction:
This file extracts by default to the c:\adaptec\aspi directory. If you have changed this directory,
please note the directory you have chosen.
For Windows 98, NT 4.0, Me and 2000, use the enclosed ASPIINST.EXE file to install the ASPI
layer.
For Windows XP, select Start - Run from the menu, and then the Browse button. Locate the
INSTALL.BAT file in the directory the files extracted to and select the OPEN button. In the
command box, add a space then XP32. The command should look like: c:\adaptec\aspi\install.bat XP32. Then select the OK button to run the XP installer.

Mr.X

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2002, 10:22:01 am »

Thanks, John, for such a complete response!!  :D

I will try the next build using "internal ASPI" and "internal buring engine" and see how it does before I try downloading the Adaptec ASPI.

Mr.X

Mr.X

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2002, 01:46:28 pm »

Ok, with MJ 9.0.80 beta:

Using "Internal ASPI" and "Internal Burning Engine"

CD-R/W Erase works! (still like to see a progress meter, but that can come later...)

On trying to burn a track as an "audio CD", it progresses INCREDIBLY slowly. After waiting 15 minutes to burn one 4 minute track, and it had only progressed maybe 10%, I cancelled the operation. Tried again with "decode directly to CD" turned off. No difference.

Turned off "use internal burning engine", and it burned at a reasonable speed, with no errors!

Noticed at the end of the burn, it didn't eject the CD (like it does when it's finished erasing) - no biggie.

It also SEEMS like there's nothing burned to the CD - neither MJ or Windows show anything on the CD. I'm going to reboot now to see if that changes anything.

-Mr.X

----UPDATE----

Rebooting my PC allows me to see the burnt tracks in both MJ and Windows.

The dates are wrong, though - the burnt tracks show 12/31/1994 as the file creation dates.

"Test" writing to a CD-R works properly, and the CD ejects when "finished"

Media Jukebox  9.0.80 -- D:\Program Files\Media Jukebox 9\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 899 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 340 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive E: LITE-ON LTR-48125W   Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
 Test mode: Yes /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No

Mr.X

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2002, 03:33:19 pm »

With MJ 9.0.81 beta:

Seems that the problem may be with burning CD-R/W's more so than anything.

In trying to burn a CD-R/W while using Internal Burning Engine, either in Test mode or not, it will burn at an absolute crawl.

In "burning" a CD-R in test mode (don't want to waste any just yet...) it burns fine with either the internal engine or the Goldenhawk.

This may be the same problem that I had with 9.0.80, as I was mostly testing with CD-R/W's.

-Mr.X

Media Jukebox  9.0.81 -- D:\Program Files\Media Jukebox 9\

Intel Pentium III 900 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 282 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106

Burning /  Drive E: LITE-ON LTR-48125W   Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  Lib:3  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: Yes /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2002, 03:42:50 am »

What speed does it show when you go to burn a CD/RW? While burning, does the indicator light on the drive turn off for extended periods?

Mr.X

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2002, 06:40:47 am »

If you mean the speed that is shown at the bottom left of the window, under "ready for writing", it says 48x, no matter whether there's a CD in the drive or not. I have never seen that number change.

There is no speed indicator on the progress dialog, like there is (or used to be in MJ8) when ripping.

The CD-RW light is on for 20sec, off for 20sec. The HD light stays on solidly the whole time. The HD light doesn't flicker like it would when it normally reads the disk.

Set the burning speed down to 4x - no change to CD-R/W burning performance.

With a CD-R (at 48x burning), the CD drive light alternates between red and orange (showing buffer underrun protection), and the HD light "flickers" (showing a more normal "reading the disk" type of activity)

Mr.X

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2002, 08:44:13 am »

Here's the scoop with 9.0.82, which I believe is the same as the last couple of builds:

Burning works properly on a CD-R with either the internal burning engine or Goldenhawk.

Burning only works properly on a CD-R/W with the Goldenhawk burning engine.

Bugs:

• MJ must be restarted to switch from "internal burner" to Goldenhawk. It shows that this must be done to change ASPI, but not for burning engines.

• Highlighting tracks and clicking the "Burn CD" toolbar button does not send those tracks to the burn list. Having an album or artist open without highlighting any tracks does send all the tracks to the burn list. Highlighting tracks and selecting "send to" in the context menu does work.

• All tracks are burned with the date 12/31/1994, and they start at 5:00pm. Each track is the proper number of minutes later than 5:00pm, but the first track is always 5:00pm.

• You need to restart MJ to see the tracks on the CD after burning them. Do not need to restart windows.

System Info:
Media Jukebox  9.0.82 -- D:\Program Files\Media Jukebox 9\

Intel Pentium III 900 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 340 MB

Burning /  Drive E: LITE-ON LTR-48125W   Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2002, 04:45:31 am »

I'll run some tests to see if I can replicate the problem. What speed cd/rw media are you using? What speed can your drive handle on cd/rw (12X?).

Thanks.

Mr.X

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2002, 07:43:17 am »

My CD-R/W discs are 4x, the drive can handle up to 12x with CD-R/W, and 48x with CD-R.

thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up