INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Organize by File Location Missing?  (Read 2890 times)

prong

• Recent member
Organize by File Location Missing?
« on: November 23, 2002, 06:05:16 pm »

I finally upgraded to MJ 9 and am wondering what happened to the "File Location" tab under "Media Library."  I found this very useful in MJ 8 for directly browsing and playing my music.  The "My Computer" tab doesn't behave in the same way.  Will I be able to view my music by file location in the final release of 9?

jakobluck

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Organize by File Location Missing?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2002, 12:27:11 am »

location has changed to "filename" i believe

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2002, 01:11:39 am »

>> i believe
Is Correct

Listening to: 'I Believe' from 'The Best Of Blessid Union Of Souls' by 'Blessid Union Of Souls' on Media Jukebox Charted At 08 In 1995
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

prong

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2002, 06:09:48 am »

I thought that newer versions ADDED features, not REMOVED them.  Browsing through "File Location" was my primary method of playing music.  Anyone know of a good reason why this feature was removed (so I can sleep at night without wondering why)?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2002, 06:40:56 am »

Check further down the tree.  My Computer is a built-in explorer.

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2002, 06:46:11 am »

But My Computer doesn't show the MP3-CDs that are not inserted into the drives, "File Location" showed the label of all archieved MP3-CDs!!

Please bring this feature back, having the possibility to show archieved Mp3-CDs is a really superior feature no other jukebox has, please don't rip it off MJ!!

thanks
Raist

prong

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2002, 07:58:31 am »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who misses this feature.  To be honest, this is one of the features that I felt differentiated MJ from the other players and significantly influenced my decision to make THIS the one player worth paying for.  I found it especially useful since I've taken great care to carefully organize my file structure.

I meant to mention "My Computer" in my previous post: I realize that My Computer is one way to browse by file location, but it's behavior is much different than the File Location in MJ 8.  For instance:
(1) MJ 8 showed only folders that contained music in the current library, making it much easier to browse.
(2) MJ 8 made it easy to determine which drives/folders contained music in the the current library.  This is especially useful when you manage half a dozen different HDs and removable media drives.
(3) In MJ 8, if I selected a folder in "File Location," all songs in that folder and in subfolders would be displayed in the file list.  MJ 9's My Computer only lists files in the current folder and ignores subfolders.  I would argue that this is the correct behavior for My Computer, which is why the additional "File Location" subgroup under "Media Library" needs to return.

(Still trying to imagine reasons WHY this feature was removed)

On a another note, I really like the new complete/incomplete subgroups under Album Type/Album/Name.  Any chance this breakdown could be offered under the Artist/Album group as well?  This would be equivalent to a Album Type/Artist/Album/Name group.  In other words, I'd like the functionality of "Album Type/Album/Name" currently in MJ9, but sorted by Artist rather than by Album.

Thanks for listening!

ZRocker

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2002, 04:39:17 pm »

Duh...just right-click the Audio node and choose 'Add New View Scheme...'.  Then, make that scheme based on Location...there you go.  It was just a View Scheme under 8.0 too.

prong

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2002, 04:49:14 pm »

Bummer, I was hoping you were right.  When I add a "Filename" View Scheme, it gives me one folder with ALL files listed in one window.  In MJ8, the File Location was expandable into separate subfolders.  If there's another trick you know of to do this, let me know.  

At least you taught me a feature of which I was previously unaware.

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2002, 08:55:17 pm »

Right click on "Audio", click on "Add new view scheme", click on "Add" and choose Component "Filename"... the system allows you to choose a base directory (this useful function was not available in V8)... that's all: a "Location" view scheme is added which is the same as V8 "File location"
Luigi
Luigi1943

prong

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2002, 09:03:11 pm »

As mentioned in my previous post, I tried that suggestion.  It does not behave in the same (desired) way, however.  

I stumbled across the following quote from the first page of the help documentation:
"Media Jukebox was designed to be as flexible as possible, to help you organize your media files the way you want."
I used to agree, and hope I will be able to again soon (before MJ10?)

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2002, 09:59:41 pm »

I'm sorry, Prong, but in my system "Location" behaves just as before: clicking on the + sign it shows all the directories and subdirectories... the only difference is that instead of displaying a directory icon it displays a disc icon.
Make sure that you select a correct base directory in the new scheme dialog.
Luigi1943

ZRocker

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2002, 04:25:03 am »

Works the same for me too as MJ 8.0 did.

prong

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2002, 07:16:03 am »

Thanks, Luigi.  It works fine after choosing a different root directory.  I had previously chosen Desktop as my root directory.  I have music spread across several drive letters, so I thought that choosing Desktop would let me browse through all drives like in MJ8.  Apparently Desktop behaves differently than other folders, causing the problems I was having with the view scheme.  I suppose the best solution is to create multiple Filename view schemes, one for each drive letter.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2002, 07:32:17 am »

The reason desktop would have behaved funkily is because desktop is actually a special system file is not located at root level at all.  Depending on your OS the actual location of Desktop is something like (in XP) C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Desktop...  My Computer is the root level...

Hope that clears things up...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

ZRocker

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2002, 07:33:44 am »

Prong,

I just left base <blank> and got all the drives listed under Location (like MJ 8.0).

sirrahmit

• Recent member
  • Anthem
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2002, 08:18:46 am »

Prong,

Thank you.  You voiced my opinion perfectly.  I loved the File location feature and thought it was gone too.

This thread cleared it all up.

I also use a portable drive and various other drives so this feature was perfect for finding stuff to play or edit.

In MJ 9, I left the base directory of the filename view blank and it works exactly like MJ 8 did.

This software just keeps getting better!!!!

Listening to Kevin Gilbert / Thud / 06 - Shadow Self

dragyn

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2002, 11:26:12 am »

It's probably a little buggy yet.

For my setup, if there are a lot of files in the parent directory and also a lot of sub folders, the lists gets combined and just shows one directory.

Hopefully it will get worked out.

prong

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2002, 11:48:47 am »

As the initiator of this thread, I just wanted to bring closure by thanking everyone for their help.  In summary, MJ8-equivalent File Location browsing can be added as follows:
1. Right-click on a Media Library subgroup (i.e., Audio)
2. Select "Add New View Scheme..."
3. Select Add button
4. Select "Filename" as Component Type
5. Leave Base Directory blank.

I never would've guessed that leaving the base directory blank would do the trick...thanks Zrocker.  Long live MJ.
Pages: [1]   Go Up