INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay Gain ?'s  (Read 706 times)

dragyn

Replay Gain ?'s
« on: November 13, 2002, 07:13:51 pm »

I thought I knew how this worked but now I'm really confused.

Here's the problem. I need MJ to play songs at full non-clipping volume level. I thought that RG could do this but now I'm having my doubts.

I scanned through my database and found values ranging from -18.97dB to -0.67dB. If I set the global adjustment to +8.00dB, files at say -3.00dB would get a total change for +5.00dB. Wouldn't this clip the song if it's found out that -3.00dB is the lowest dB rating?

The total change is also confusing. If I set it at +3.00dB, then the total change would be 0dB, meaning nothing. So is MJ doing anything in terms of volume for a 0dB change? If it is, what about an auto adjustmet to level it out, normalize without the normalization.

I'm also seeing that the manual adjustment can go as high as 24dB. Does this clip at all? Why would it go that high? When I set it at +24dB, the peak level is at a constant 30-60%. This is for a file of a -5.2dB rating. Clip protection can be on or off, doesn't matter.

The same goes for the reverse, -12.0dB. If the file has a -18.00dB, then it would be -30.00dB for a total change. Is that even posible to hear?

When I play songs through my stereo, it just doesn't seem loud enough compared to what line-in would do or through the normal CD player. I gotta have it loud. I gotta have it clear. I'm having a problem crankin' it up...if you know what I mean. I need some serious help.

I tried looking up replay gain but it seems as if the site is down. What would be the route to go?
Pages: [1]   Go Up