INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJB9.0 good and bad  (Read 3311 times)

Bill_Gaw2

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
MJB9.0 good and bad
« on: November 11, 2002, 04:45:49 am »

Loaded all of my CD's on two 120 GB hard drives using MJB 8. and on playback they are terrific thruogh the M-Audio 1010 card. 2 channel reproduction comes close to the best I've heard from high end  CD players. Now you need to include Dolby Pro Logic 2 decoding.
     :(Then downloaded 9.0, and the library has gotten all screwed up. Just about every CD listing has lost tracks, even ones usind YADB information for library. The missing tracks go into an unassigned box all mixed up with others. They are not missing on the drives so have not been wiped out. Have tried twice to reformat the library, and the same thing occurs. Is there any way of retrieving them to their appropriate positions in the MJB filing system?
  :)   On the great side, the playback of video NTSC through S-video input to TI 4600 video card upscaled to 1280x720 comes close to matching my IEV Turboscan pro doubler-quadrupler. Only problem is that there is no expansion to cover the entire 16x9 screen, leaving black bars on the sides. The image quality is very good, especially when adjusted with the picture sliders. Problem here is that one has to go through three steps to get to the sliders and the boxes cover the video so one cannot see if there is an improvement. You should try to get this as a one button clear vue function. Also try to get the other sliders, especially gamma working.
    The best addition would be the ability to decode Dolby Digital from external NTSC sources, and this would make your program the one to beat for television unitl everybody goes digital.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MJB9.0 good and bad
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2002, 10:19:58 am »

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the feedback.  Not sure what happened on the conversion.  There are a lot of possibilities, including a bug in our conversion.  We're still fixing bugs.

To fix the tagging, take a look at properties and the tools that allow you to fill tags from filenames and fill filenames from tags.

On the TV display, please keep telling us what you think.  We know there's a lot more we can do for the high end viewer.  Setup, for instance, is about to undergo a complete overhaul.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2002, 10:23:26 am »

I just saw this AVSForum thread that might help:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=188755

Media Jukebox supports dscaler if it is installed.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2002, 11:18:12 am »

Only problem is that there is no expansion to cover the entire 16x9 screen, leaving black bars on the sides.

If all you want is to uniformly stretch the video to your screen, you might be able to do it by just unchecking the "Keep Aspect Ratio" checkbox on the TV Configuration dialog. This may not work on some TV cards since they default to using fixed aspect ratio.

If you are asking for the Non-linear stretching discussed at AVS forum, then its another matter.

You should try to get this as a one button clear vue function. Also try to get the other sliders, especially gamma working.  

Currently I am offering the access to these properties only through the capture driver's property pages. Those greyed out sliders are greyed out by the driver property pages, not by me. Maybe those options are truely unavailable.

As Jim mentioned, we are doing an overhaul of our setup program, I will keep you suggestions in mind, and try to offer access to those options as much as I can.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

nila

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2002, 01:19:17 pm »

Yeah, I get this same problem.

MJ9 doesn't read most of my mp3's id3 tags so I have to re-tag loads of my music . It sucks :(

Bill_Gaw2

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2002, 09:55:40 am »

Thanks for the quick replies.
Turned on the ASIO output last night and got the best CD 16/44 playback that I've ever heard as a high end udio reviewer using my hard drive files.
The video is still excellent. Just wish I could turn on the gamma switch. Interestingly, Powerstrip can do it, so I guess I'll just set up a program with it for MusicJukebox.
A question:
    If I go directly to my hard disk files, there is an eight note figure before the titles, some of which are red and sdome black. What does this signify?
A problem:
    Paid the $24.95, but MJ 9.0 won't accept the key, but it isn't asking for it either. Is this a problem?
Second problem:
When I try to open the options box through the help screen, the program freezes and I get the "Report to Microsoft" sign. It works fine through the Control O command. Is this a glitch?
Thanks. Bill

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2002, 10:01:58 am »

Bill,
Glad ASIO is working for you.

When you purchase the key is installed automatically.  There is a FAQ under Jukebox/purchase above that tells you more details.

I don't know what you mean by the "8 note".  8 bit?  Can you copy and paste an example here?

The crash is not a feature we plan to keep.  It's still beta.

Jim

Bill_Gaw2

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2002, 10:13:21 am »

Sorry. Before each file name is an eigth music  note, as compared to whole, half, quarter notes, etc. Some are shaded red and others black.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2002, 10:42:27 am »

I think that is a Windows icon.  Maybe Windows Media Player.  Not sure what it means.

It does mean that MJ doesn't own the file type.  That can be set in MJ under Tools/Options/File associations.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2002, 04:46:41 am »

The icons work like this for now:

Black eighth note: imported, not playing
Red eighth note: not imported, not playing
Greyed eighth note: filtered using playback filter, not playing
Speaker: imported, playing
Speaker (w/ red outline): not imported, playing

Version 9 will do a little more to help distinguish music, video, and images.

Hope that helps...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Bill_Gaw2

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2002, 05:46:11 am »

Again, Matt, Thanks. I hope all of this information is helpful to your other users.
I mentioned previously that not all of the files correctly came over to 9 from 8. Found last night that if you find a grouping of tracks that did not transfer properly, that you can drag the file from the hard drive panel over to the 9.0 file program and they will correct.
Are you planning on adding Dolby Digital or Prologic 2 decoding to your television tuner for external sources and these and DTS to DVD playback? That would put you a step ahead of Power and WINDVD.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2002, 06:05:34 am »

Are you planning on adding Dolby Digital or Prologic 2 decoding to your television tuner for external sources and these and DTS to DVD playback? That would put you a step ahead of Power and WINDVD.

Well, the only thing with that is most high end users that would want this are strapping MJ to an amp with a decoder built-in.  In that case, bit-perfect ASIO output is the ticket.

However, we'd like to make our own 2 channel -> 5.1 channel mixer with customizable everything. (cross-overs, mixes, reverbs, etc.)  I've just never been impressed with the algorithms inside of amps for doing this.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up