INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bugs from beta 2 (with pics!)  (Read 1219 times)

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
Bugs from beta 2 (with pics!)
« on: November 12, 2002, 04:43:21 am »

I have found some bugs in Beta 2 and since that topic is locked, rather then post them in the beta 3 list, here they are instead. I don't get to the Internet much and you guys at J River are FAR too quick with your releases!!! ;)

• ? Visualisation Studio: Any attempt to view a visualisation results in MJ crashing and the following error AppName: media jukebox.exe AppVer: 9.0.75.0 ModName: vis studio.dll ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00001fea, usually followed by  AppName: media jukebox.exe AppVer: 9.0.75.0 ModName: vis studio.dll ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 000027f6. I have to go to the plugins and uninstall the vis studio to get anywhere... A bit of creative registry editing was required to ensure that MJ did not automatically play on startup before this could be corrected! I have tried a clean install after using Norton Cleansweep to uninstall, and still this error...

• Media Library: When displaying years in a 'Decade / Year' manner for a custom field ('Year Composed'), files that have no year are put in the '(unassigned)' decade grouping (correctly) and an '(unassigned)' year group appears below. Files are visible in the unassigned 'decade' but not in the '(unassigned)' year... The same occurs in files where no year is set (to "" rather than 0).

• Media Library: Renaming in the Media Library Tree does not work at all (pressing F2).

• Media Library: When almost any text field with a grouping of 1 is applied with show individual items selected, entries with a hyphen ('-') anywhere in the grouped field appear under '(unassigned)' as well as under their correct grouping. I have confirmed that all artists with a hyphen appear under '(unassigned)' when either Artist or Auto Artist is used as a grouping scheme: none are missing, nor are any extras present. Doesn't work with [Name], but does with [Genre] (eg: Hip-Hop appears both under '(unassigned)' and 'H/Hip-Hop'...). These images explain it better. There are no rules or filters applied to either of these two view schemes.

• Auto Album: Single tracks (ie: the only one on my machine from a particular album) are listed under the 'Single Artist (incomplete)' heading -- when in actual fact MJ doesn't have a clue if it should be there or not. Rather create an 'Indeterminable' group?

• Auto Album: Albums that have been split into various directories (based on Artists) appear in the 'Single artist (incomplete)' section despite the fact that the are complete, and are not single artists.

• Album Artist: When a view scheme is set up based on Album Artist (auto) with a grouping of 1 and "show individual entries" selected, there is an (empty) listing for artist beginning with "(". The top red circle is the one relevant to this post.

• Wizard Criteria: When specifying a text field, using the wizard, don't click on any fields, choose exclude and in the rule box a nifty little '-' appears all by itself!

• Wizard Criteria: The wizard does a rotten job at interpreting hand written rules. Eg: -genre=[] (exclude everything with no specified genre) is interpreted to give a list with nothing ticked and the option 'Exclude' chosen. When you click on OK, you get left with a little, lonely "-".

• Wizard Criteria: The rule artist="-" ie: trying to find all artists that contain a hyphen in their names, does not work as expected! However, artist=- does the job... Surely they should do the same thing?

• CDA Tracks: I played a track directly from CD and the track timer started ticking over even while the disk was spinning up. This resulted in about a 5 second difference between the track time and what it should have been reading.

• Filtering: When a filter is based on a smartlist, MJ does not update it after the filter is initially calculated (when applied). A filter to skip the Auto-Smartlist Recently Played -- in the last hour is calculated when it is first applied and then ignored completely. I intially thought this may be in the way MJ updates the Last Played field, but it doesn't refresh previously played tracks either... One quirk: it seems to do the update once and then ignores it...

• Options: The "Choose Sound" button in the "Device Settings" Options pane is pretty. Does it do anything?

• Analyse Audio: Trying to download a plugin of sorts. Not sure which one, but from previous reports, seems like the MP3 decoder plugin?

• Media Editor: Suffers from the same download affinity problem that the analyse audio suffers from...

• Image Art: I don't know if this is a problem with MJ or Windows Media Player, but when an image is stored within the track, it seems to be corrupted (at least, WMP thinks so...). The following two screen shots show firstly the cover art as MJ sees it (stored inside the file) and then the cover art as WMP sees it...

The same sort of distortion has occured with every file I've tried.

• Updating Tags: The genres are not always updated correctly in the file's tags. Windows reports this one as having genre '(255)' when it should be "Classical Singing".

I have other files with the same genre (Classical Singing) which have the correct value in the Windows Properties box.

• Updating Tags: Not sure why this would be, but sure there is an explanation: when I choose "update tags" from the tools button at the bottom of the properties window, very little happens (according to WinXP). I have to first clear the file of its tags and then save tags for the changes to be made. I know that there was an update recently so that tags would be written in a style that XP understands them, but surely "update tags" would cause the tags to be rewritten to be XP-compatible, instead of just "updated"?

• Media Library: In the BPM Tree, everything is grouped under '(others)'.

• Media Library: In the BPM Tree, the number of tracks shown and reported by MJ is incorrect for the root entry.

See the above for more pictures relating to this bug.

• Field View: When dragging columns, the "audio" icons follow the columns around (red circle). Also note the "dirty" bits circled in blue... This problem rectifies itself after changing view.

My info is as follows:

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.75
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Duron 810 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 91 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

jcouch93

• World Citizen
  • I'm confused...
Re: Bugs from beta 2 (with pics!)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2002, 01:53:59 pm »

Updating Tags: The genres are not always updated correctly in the file's tags. Windows reports this one as having genre '(255)' when it should be "Classical Singing".  

Check that you don't have ID3v1 on.  It only stores the number associated with the field, as defined by the ID3v1 standard.

(As an example, I used to have a genre of "80's".  Every time I would re-import, MJ would change the genre to "Folk".  I found out it was because the number for Folk was 80.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up