INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ 9 Fails my "party" criteria  (Read 1422 times)

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • TiVo-aholic
MJ 9 Fails my "party" criteria
« on: October 27, 2002, 09:23:18 am »

I had a Halloween Party last night and had MJ running full screen Vis on the TV and allowed people to pick music from the media library at their will ..

In Party Mode, I HIGHLY suggest that you turn off the Right Click PLAY ability that replaces the current Now Playing list ...
ump-teen times, individuals would right click thinking they were going to be adding a song to the play list and it would replace the ENTIRE playlist and play their song immediately ..

ALSO, when they go to Media Library and search for something ... MOST users would hit ENTER ... this ALSO caused everything in the media library to be added to the now playing list ... UGH !!!

Party Mode needs to only allow ADD to playlist and REMOVE capability needs to be on right-click only from Now Playing .... Also, remove the ENTER function from the search bar ... ENTER should not do anything

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
Re: MJ 9 Fails my "party" criteria
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2002, 10:37:44 am »

I second the Enter key "problem", party mode or otherwise. Since I'm on the Internet over 14 hours per day, it is common for me to hit the enter key after setting up a query. I wouldn't expect it to do anything other than perform the search.

RemyJ

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2002, 11:44:21 am »

Bullet proof (or inebriated guest proof) party mode is one of my hot items as well.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2002, 09:04:06 am »

Why not change Double Click Behavior to Add to Playing Now and then just tell your guests to double click a song they want to queue up?

RemyJ

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2002, 09:54:49 am »

Inevitably someone will right click and press "play" and POOF there goes playing now.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2002, 10:31:37 am »

While I agree that that's true, it's still easier to teach people "Double click on the song you want" than "Right click on the song you want, then choose "Add to Playing Now".

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2002, 11:35:02 am »

Doof ... It's a "Party" ... If I was sober enough .. or bored enough .. I might stand around the PC waiting for an unsuspecting victim to tell them to "DOUBLE CLICK" "DOUBLE CLICK" ... NO NO NO .. Dont Click the ominous PLAY button ...

But, to be completely honest .. I DID ! .. I stood right there and told people .. and you know what .. THEY STILL DID IT ... they could not get used to the fact that PLAY meant REPLACE THE ENTIRE LIST! :)
(examples of hapless victims include network engineers, a programmer, 3 RNs, a semiconductor "dude", 2 people dressed as grapes (i dont know what they did), and a telemarketer) ... I can understand the telemarketer :), but the rest are pretty intelligent people .. and, to them, it just wasnt logical !

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2002, 11:43:32 am »

Hey, you're preaching to the choir here. I've been using MJ for over a year now and I STILL accidentally clear Playing Now occasionally. :P

Just pointing out that teaching people to double click rather than right click and whatnot is probably easier. :P Still not drunkenpartierproof, though. ;)

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2002, 05:57:11 am »

I had some ideas about party mode last night, but didn't write them down.  Basically, I thought "what if party mode was another skinnable display mode... like mini me, mega me, hairstyle, and party mode"

Like, when you snap into party mode now, the ui doesn't change a bit.  MJ's a fantastic program, but the ui took me about a day to master... my drunk, computer illiterate friends had no idea where to find anything; I had to hang out and be DJ (which wasn't all that bad, but still...).

Picture this:  A skinnable party mode display mode... controls are laid out to provide maximum user-friendliness at the expense of library management, an easy sacrifice to make, since this mode is for party mode only.  There'd be no tree (or a very limited tree, surely no "my computer" in it), no access to a LOT of the right-click options that currently exist, just an area to browse through the music (that the party host has designated to be available), a visualization window, a view of the playqueue, and easy "play now" and "queue up" buttons.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

NoCodeUK

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2002, 06:05:11 am »

That sounds like the best idea to me so far for Party mode.  Possibly as a plug in interface seeing as how not everyone would want it.  Similar to my idea for a dual play mode display to allow controllable cross fades.  Different views are a good idea as it means the main interface does not have to change but extra functionality can be bolted on for those who want it...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2002, 08:11:09 am »

Hey, you're preaching to the choir here. I've been using MJ for over a year now and I STILL accidentally clear Playing Now occasionally.

I'm glad I am not the only one.  I definately think this is one the awkward areas of MJ's interface.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2002, 11:55:06 am »

Yeah, the logic behind it is definitely there, it's just a little counterintuitive sometimes.

Kurt Young> I definitely like that idea for Party Mode. Even though I have yet to use MJ for a party.

I'm just not the partying type, I guess.
Pages: [1]   Go Up