INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ9 beta?  (Read 1595 times)

LeoH

• World Citizen
MJ9 beta?
« on: October 16, 2002, 09:39:04 am »

I have been running MJ9 on a test PC and am impressed with the progress. Just curious as to the number of anticipated previews before beta is released?

BTW- I have been running MJ8 as my media server with a huge library of my ripped CD's (75GB so far). The program performs surprisingly well managing such a large database and does so with very few hiccups. Once again, very nice code...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MJ9 beta?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2002, 06:52:32 pm »

Thanks Leo.

It's hard to give a timeline for version 9 because we keep getting "sidetracked" with fun new ideas and features.

And about big libraries, you should talk to King Sparta around here.  He's got like 150,000 songs and counting!

Thanks again.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2002, 08:22:30 am »

LeoH

I loaded 131,000+ mp3 files into MJ, at that time I had 712Gigs it's a bit more now, but i do not keep all the files loaded due to i  have other projects i am working on.

MJ is the Only Jukebox I have Tested That Can Handle Large Music Databases and do it well. I have been playing with and programing for computers since 1969 so i  have been at this for sometime.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

LeoH

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2002, 11:49:07 am »

712 Gigs??? 131,000+ mp3 files??? That is amazing! And encouraging; I don't need to worry about finding a size limit. I anticipate hitting about 150 GB when my entire library is encoded.

Computers back in 1969 would have been early gen IBM mainframes (1700's?), was the 360 out yet? Or RCA or GE systems? That was definitely when men were men and programmed with punchcards, none of this sissy glass terminal stuff.

I started in 1973 on Motorola's 6800 and an ASR-33, those were good times...

michel

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2002, 11:57:44 am »

I started in 1973 on Motorola's 6800 and an ASR-33, those were good times...

I started on an Elbit computer in 1970... It was not a good time: no MJ in the box  ;)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2002, 12:05:31 pm »

>> 131,000+ mp3 files That is amazing!
yes i wanted to see if MJ would go past the 128,000+ limit and everything went fine.

since i could not crash MJ that way i figured i would just collect all the top 100 hits since 1940 (still working on it).

but i do have 7,000+ of them

I am also trying to collect all the Disco hits JimH likes.

his fav is 'Saturday Night Fever' I have a picture of him in a Disco club in Washington DC back in 1976 dancing a slow dance to 'Disco Lady' by 'Johnnie Taylor' he was in the grove back then, he is getting really old now.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

NoCodeUK

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2002, 12:27:16 am »

I'd like to post a similar story to you guys but seeing as how I wasn't born until 1979 I don't think I can ;D

LOL i didn't use a computer until 1984 and that was a spectrum 48k (I think it was a TIMEX 1000? in the states) with rubber keys.  That was when I first started programming in BASIC then gave it up for about 15 years and only started coding again last year with VB and now VB.NET.  I am such a noob ;)

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2002, 09:06:29 am »

>> spectrum & TIMEX 1000
they both were sold in the US, they did not market well (about 1 year) the vanished.

Remember the Adam computer?
Fayetteville, NC, USA

NoCodeUK

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2002, 09:27:40 am »

Marketing was never Sinclairs strong point.  Ever hear of the C5??

Anyways the Spectrum remained over here for about 5 or 6 years and was upgraded 3 or 4 times.  Then they got bought out by Amstrad :(

The best computer I ever had was a Commodore Amiga.  I think if Commodore hadn't gone bust the Amiga would have remained the computer to beat...

Rumors of their final chipset which was never released placed it in line with the PC of about 3 years ago.  Diference being it was being developed about 10 years ago!!  If only!!

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

NoCodeUK

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2002, 09:28:09 am »

Sorry just have to post again so I get 100 posts ;D

Adam

NoCodeUK

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2002, 09:28:48 am »

Damn. Thought that would give me 3 stars :(

Adam

NoCodeUK

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2002, 09:29:40 am »

Hooray.  Is D a m n like a really bad swear word in the US??  Cant see why it has been starred out...

Adam

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2002, 09:36:15 am »

Interact is an experiment in whether communication  without hostility is possible.  Results doubtful so far.

JohnT

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2002, 12:54:51 pm »

Sinclair brings back memories. My first computer was a Sinclair Micro-Ace with Z80 cpu and a whole 2K of ram!  It came in kit form for about $120 if I remember right. This was about 1980. My brother and I soldered together the motherboard. It had a cheap plastic cover, membrane keyboard, TV output and ability to save programs on an audio cassette. Basic was built into ROM and you could write about a 100 line basic program with it.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2002, 03:58:36 pm »

Interact is an experiment in whether communication  without hostility is possible.  Results doubtful so far.

Them's fightin' words!
That's right.
I'm cool.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2002, 04:28:38 pm »

by the way someone sidsomthing the other day when i was talking about about the old computer i worked on back in 1969.

It was a IBM, it was called the Buick 3 System

it was in a block building (it was as big as a city block) and 3 floors. with 7 foot water cooled tubs, the building was kept at a nice 65 temp (you needed to have a light coat on).

the printer would spit out paper (aircraft tracking data) about 10 feet after printing.

It had a 50 head read\write 5 meg hard drive that was about the size of a small room. a small vibration would crash the drive and cost about $100,000 and 3 days to fix.

data saved to about 1 inch thick tape and we always had the ibm cards.
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up