INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: V9 Feature request :)  (Read 1407 times)

nila

V9 Feature request :)
« on: October 10, 2002, 04:36:35 pm »

Hiya,
For the tree mode, I usually use: Artist/Album to view my songs and browse for albums.
One thing I find however is that it often doesn't give me enough information about the album. I have two choices,
either look at the full list and try work out the info from that huge list of songs from the artist (with 2 pac for instance over 200 songs). or to go through each album and look at the songs for it and get the info that way (again a pain with artists with a lot of albums (over 10 for 2 pac).

What I'd love is to be able to customise the info that was displayed. I'd love to still have the view scheme set as: Artist/Album but make the album node look like this:

Album (5 tracks) - 2002
So that I can see a lot more info about the album.
The same for the artist node - I wouldn't mind having it like this:
Artist (10 albums, 300 tracks)

Obviously some people wont want all this information displayed and so make it fully customisable. I personally wouldn't want it all the time either so I'd love a really easy way to swap backwards and forwards between seeing the extra info and not.
Maybe pressing ctrl would make all the extra info show or something :)

nila

Re: V9 Feature request :)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2002, 04:56:12 pm »

Oh, and one more feature request.

I like to make a clear distinction between albums and random songs I have that I've just got because they're new and I like them. I also like to distinguish between soundtracks and my normal albums etc.

As a result I have this:
Artist/Album around 4 or 5 times with the only difference being the search criteria being set to: M:\Full Albums for one, M:\Soundtracks for another,  M:\Random Songs for another etc.

I also like to sometimes browse by whats new this year etc or by genre so I'll have:  Year/Artist/Album or   Year/Genre/Artist/Album.
Again, these are all repeated for full albums, singles etc. with just different search criteria.

It makes my list of options huge and there is currently no way to group view schemes. A grouping like with playlists would be great so I could have groups of like:
Full Album
- By Year
- By Genre
- By Artist
etc as sub categories.

What'd be EVEN nicer is a way to have the search criteria quickly and easily changed so I wouldn't have to re-make each view scheme 4 or 5 times with different criteria for each.
Maybe have it so when I click on the tree, a properties pane like the mp3 property pane, displays the search criteria so I could see it and modify it as I looked at the list etc. Make it much more powerful and dynamic with the information that is showed.
Possibly with the option to save different search critera (I could then save the criteria's as: Full Albums, Singles, Soundtracks etc :)

It sounds like smart playlists I know but they dont have any tree mode to browse the information and linking a tree to a smart playlist still doesn't allow for it to be modified quickly without jumping around between screens.
It is VERY close to what I'm after though, if I could edit the search criteria of the smartplaylist that was linked to the tree view while in the tree view then it'd be exactly what I was after :)

ghappe

• Recent member
  • Collectors Items or Items to Collect?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2002, 09:30:54 pm »

Nila,

Good suggestion, make the present modifiers an object, put them in a separate table, make them available by, for example, adding to the right click drop down menu. (in fact you would store exactly the same information as you do now but it would be easier accessible).

Guido
G.G.Happé

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2002, 07:18:03 am »

You can group View Schemes now.

So you could create a View Scheme called "Full Albums" and set its search criteria to be your full albums folder, and then put the different view schemes you want in there.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2002, 07:35:29 am »

Doof,

Any idea how I can solve my view scheme problem (see my previous post).  It is using custom fields in the databse for images.  It has added the field into the Jpeg meta data but will not sort on this field properly.  Any Ideas?
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

nila

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2002, 05:22:05 pm »

Linking a smart playlist to a tree mode works great to view the results of a search in a tree form but currently the link is too static to a specific search linked to a specific tree.
I'd like to be able to easily change which search I'm applying and then be able to also jump between different tree modes still using the same smart playlist or even changing to a different smart playlist if I wanted.

Basically just break the static type linking of search criteria to specific tree's and make it applicable to all the tree modes and make it easily modifiable while still browsing the tree itself to give us the power to narrow down the tree to exactly what we are after in a progressive building of a search rather than just having to have the full search created to see the tree how we want it :)

tivo1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2002, 10:11:04 am »

how do i ask him properly? where do i post it?

also what i wanted was that you only get 1 pic of the album.. then maybe right click or something to select the track...

or just click on it to play that album...

rather than how it was in the version 9 beta i had.. where the each song on the album was displayed with the album cover in the view

has this changed.. and where can i dl the lastest beta?

tivo1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2002, 01:00:24 pm »

It would be nice... if my album view when i have it on pics of the album

stayed that way.. when i went to playing now.. and changed that to list form...

then switched back to album view

nila

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2002, 07:13:03 am »

Ok - Begging hugely for this request:

Please oh please let the drop target have an option to set the size of it. Small, Medium and Large with the size right now classed as small.

I'd never used it before and was about to use it today to send some songs to the burner to burn and realised it would be sooo easy to accidentally drop them into another artist name by accident and mess up the tags.
For this reason I personally am not going to use it, I'll just use the right click.

If I could make it bigger though I'd definitely use it.
I'd also like to be able to set it to have it's own target seperate of the last one used on the 'send to' menu so as to give me in effect two quick places I can send stuff too.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2002, 08:28:37 am »

Here's what I use the Drop Target for.

I set the Double Click behavior to "Current Send To Item".

Then I use the Drop Target just to change the current send to item. Then I double click everything I want to send to that item.

So in a way, it can be used to change the double click behavior on the fly without having to go into Options. If I need to to send a group of items to somewhere, I'll either carefully drag them to the drop target, or more likely, just use the Send To menu option. I'm a big fan of right click options, so it works really well for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up