INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selecting Stereo vs Joint Stereo when Ripping MP3  (Read 1943 times)

robinater

Selecting Stereo vs Joint Stereo when Ripping MP3
« on: August 16, 2003, 04:57:50 pm »

I'm trying to find how to control whether MP3s are encoded as "Stereo" or "Joint Stereo" when ripping using the Media Jukebox MP3 encoder at 256 CBR.

It appears that the only options available are found under "Advanced" and are: "Normal", "High Speed" and "High Quality". Might these correspond to Joint Stereo, Mono, and Stereo respectively?  :-/ Seams unlikely.

I've read that LAME based MP3 encoders will encode based on the format of the source: Mono to Mono and Stereo to Stereo, but that still begs the question of how to control Joint Stereo. I've also read that some LAME MP3 encoders automatically default to Joint Stereo at Bit Rates lower than 256 and encode at Stereo for 256 and up.

However none of this helps, as I'm not sure how J River has set up it's LAME based MP3 encoder. Anybody now how to control it? Thanks. ROBINATER. ;D

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Selecting Stereo vs Joint Stereo when Ripping
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2003, 08:15:09 pm »

I would guarantee almost 100% that joint stereo is used in all of MJs encoding options since that is the "default" mode for LAME.

If you want to choose which mode to use with MJ, you will probably have to use the custom option for encoding and specify the appropriate command line parameters.

You can probably find more info about LAME parameters and stereo vs. joint stereo here:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=7516

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up