INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: buymusic.com  (Read 2529 times)

elgibby

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Red Sox
buymusic.com
« on: August 28, 2003, 06:29:56 am »

Haven't seen much here about buymusic.com, so I thought I'd let you know how it's been going: not too well.

The service is OK as far as browsing, ordering, purchasing and downloading: It's all pretty easy, works OK.

Whether selection and price is OK is largely a matter of preference. I swore I'd not buy any single track over 99 cents (they go up to 1.14) or albums over 9.99.

Unfortunately, of the three purchases I've made so far (one single, two albums), I've had bad tracks twice.

On a compilation album ("Live From Meridian, Texas"), Track 1 had static and dropouts about 50 seconds in. Customer support was responsive in that they promptly credited me for the 7.99 cost of the album, even though I didn't even ask for that; all I requested was that they fix the track and e-mail me when it was ready to re-download. A week later, the track is still defective.

Worse, last night I DL'd Pat Green's new album "Wave on Wave." Tracks 7, 8 and 9 are corrupted and will not play on my computer. Furthermore, only tracks 1 through 6 will burn to CD (10-13 will not). I e-mailed customer service this morning, no answer yet.

So this should serve as a caution; buymusic.com seems good about giving credits. And because there's no subscription, it's a lot easier to get a credit. But my experience so far has not been a happy one.

Anybody else try buymusic.com?

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: buymusic.com
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 05:06:02 pm »

I did. I bought two tracks and they seemed to play OK but they were 128k and cost too much. Either $0.99 or $1.14 is too much to pay for a low bitrate track. I searched a little longer and nothing got me very excited so I never went back.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

mrsnarky

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 12:57:07 pm »

I "bought" 15 assorted titles from BuyMusic last night and 4 were bad, i.e. incomplete files.  How hard is it to get a credit from them.

Prices notwithstanding, I like BuyMusic because they have a larger collection of mainstream music.  However, I am learning to like eMusic's more ecclectic collection (and flat fee).

elgibby

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Red Sox
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 04:57:30 pm »

Hi
I had no trouble getting prompt credits back to my card with buymusic.com. But re-downloading the damaged tracks was a problem. I've all but given up on those guys, I still haven't tried getting the first track that I bought that was corrupted.

I have tried Musicmatch downloads, tho, and so far so good. I bought Musicmatch plus with lifetime upgrades before I discovered MJ, so I re-installed MM to take the download service for a spin. Besides the confusing interface (will those guys ever get that right?), the tracks I bought sound fine, and none was corrupted.

Hope you get your refund!

mrsnarky

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re:buymusic.com
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 03:30:12 pm »

I was all set to start begging  for a credit, and then I found out about the o re-download feature.   Fortunately, I tried the failed songs again and, voila, I got them all!  Must have been mjy lucky day.

Since eMusic is forcing me to leave their service, I'll probably be spending more time with BuyMusic, or MusicMatch, or whatever next great music download vendor comes along.  :)

elgibby

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Red Sox
Re:buymusic.com
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 10:06:10 pm »

Let me amend my previous post: I played around a bit with Musicmatch tonight, and the navigation is impossible. Still haven't figured out how to consistently call up a list of a single artist's albums.
Pages: [1]   Go Up