INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artists really get paid?  (Read 4565 times)

Lucy

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Artists really get paid?
« on: June 08, 2003, 02:24:53 am »

Allofmp3.com

$0.01 per MB
14.95  1000files per month

Although their site claim that they are legal according to  № LA-3М-02-36 by Russian Organization for Multimedia & Digital Systems, how can you guys make sure they are REALLY legal?

And if they are illegal, you american association cannot ban them, ....they are Russian business.

Why don't that site display more information about loyalty fees?

Last: I am not against anyone. Just want to know.

Lucy

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Artists really get paid?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 02:52:05 am »

http://www.[web site removed].com/wanted.shtml?action=wanted

Go to this site and have a look....
Why would a claimed legal site request users to upload mp3 for the site and guarantee bonus and reward for doing so!?

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2003, 01:42:49 pm »

They may be legal according to the russian law.
They may or not pay labels.

Anyway ,i just don't care about it. Just using my fourth $50-4000 songs deal since mars .

I'am sure that they started with songs they got on p2p and russian pirates mp3 cds--A cdr with 10 albums from a band with pictures and lyrics ,i have a lot of them-
Now they buy cds ,they are the ones they put in OnlineEncode.
I'am sure that they pay some kind of money to a kind of iraa -- or to the mafia-
But again ,i just don't care

Neanderthaler

• Recent member
  • Music
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 02:14:49 pm »

I agree with Zevele, as with all sites that I pay for it is not up to me to check if they pay royalties or not!
If I buy a cd in the store, you don't ask if they pay royalties do you?
As long as I'm paying, regardless how much I feel legal and in my right to use the music as I please.

Stilton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 04:31:52 am »

As I heard it (simply word-of-mouth), Russia don't have copyright laws. If this is the case, they can't be 'illegal', as distributing the stuff royalty-free is fine. Whether this applies to citizens outside Russia using the service, I don't know.

But if this was the case, surely a P2P server could be setup in Russia and would hence be ligit. Which can't be the case. So I'll shut up now.

Influxor

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 07:14:44 pm »

lucy, legal info:
All materials presented at MediaSerives projects are available for distribution via Internet or other digital networks in accordance with license № LA-3М-02-36 by Russian Organization for Multimedia & Digital Systems. Under the license agreement MediaSerives pays out fees for downloaded materials that are subject to the Russian Federation Copyright And Related Rights Law. All materials are destined for individual usage only. Further distribution and broadcasting prohibited.
Customers accept their own responsibility for usage and distribution of downloaded information from MediaSerives according to their local legislation.

no guarentees, but i pay and agree to the TOS,  so i wont stir up probs.

zurn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2003, 10:56:41 am »

Lucy's discovery of the "upload" certainly does make it questionable...it's wierd enough that i don't think i'll be using it much.   It's a little too sketchy for me right now.

It sucks, though, because their model is a *really* good idea!

And, it's very strange since it looks so legit!  How are they so under the RIAA-dar?

-steve
-steve

zevele10

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2003, 11:36:30 am »

Up to you to not use it
Like it we would have no 'too many customers right now ,try later.'

But you miss not to use it
-=-=-=

How are they so under the RIAA-dar?

-=-=-=

Do you know that there is  NOT only USA in the world....... ?

So they just do  give a dam about them ,a bullet one day maybe if they try to mess around with them

Stilton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2003, 01:57:02 am »

Could someone explain their 'OnlineEncode' system to me? From what I can fathom (their english translations aren't perfect), it seems like even if you buy a one month subscription (giving you 1000 tracks, regardless of size, for the whole month), any albums that are marked as 'OnlineEncode', which is quite a lot, cost you extra.

Anyone care to explain this further?

Update: from what I found on the site;

Monthly subscription was more effective!

Using the "Monthly subscription" give a possibility to download [onlineencode] music files without traffic payments, now. (They are joined in 1000 files per month limit) (*)-selection of some positions at the order [onlineencode] files, means, that such files will be considered like ordinary in balance (without traffic deduction). Thus, You have get a many times greater comprehension of compositions in the same monthly costs.

So does that mean that infact now OnlineEncode doesn't cost any more than -1 on your total monthly track total?

Influxor

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2003, 05:27:46 am »

Stilton, you are correct - as long as you  choose the encodeing quality selections that have the "(*)- " next to them, (you'll make that choice after chooseing 'order selected files') they only count againt the 1000 file limit.

usually these are around 128k mp3 or ogg..etc quality encodes.

Stilton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2003, 07:18:19 am »

Good stuff. Might have to signup.
So just to get this straight - every file on the site is available under the 1000/month basic fee?

Out of interest, if the site came under fire from the RIAA or whoever, would users be liable? or just the website?

Influxor

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2003, 09:02:34 am »

yes- every file is available, as for the riaa i have no idea on that,  knowing them tho -  i would think users would also come under fire, due to people in thier respective countrys are liable for thier country's laws...i think...  :-X

zurn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2003, 09:52:08 am »

i would think users would also come under fire, due to people in thier respective countrys are liable for thier country's laws...i think...  :-X

Influxor's answer (which paraphrases part of the actual "legal info" statement at [web site removed]'s site) above helps me to answer zevele's earlier comments.  i never figured the RIAA could directly challenge this Russian site, but rather users who used it in the US.

Several sites i was reading implied that US copyright law can implicate the users/downloaders--not just the uploaders.

Don't get me wrong--i'd love it if it were for real, it just doesn't look to likely, and seeing the fervor with which the RIAA has been going after people lately, it's too risky for my situation.

-s
-steve

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2003, 04:44:41 pm »

If I were you, I would steer clear of that site -- even the "free" downloads are risky. To date, only downloaders who are sharing what they download have been targeted but you never know with those guys.
But, then again, I'm not you. I, personally, love the place.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up