INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Official statement on listen.com download bitrate  (Read 3243 times)

Bob in LA

• Recent member
Official statement on listen.com download bitrate
« on: February 24, 2003, 12:24:53 pm »

Hope you all find the following text from a listen.com tech support email helpful:

Dear Bob,

Thank you for contacting RHAPSODY Support at Listen.com.

The files are 128kbps wma files burned to a .cda format.

The same legal conditions apply to CD's burned using RHAPSODY as any music CD you would purchase at a retail store. CD's burned using our service may be copied solely for personal use of the subscriber. You may not make copies for others.

We hope this information helps, and please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Regards,
RHAPSODY Support

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Official statement on listen.com download bitr
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2003, 02:27:48 pm »

Thanks Bob. That clarifies things. Devotees to Windows Media encoding claim that 128 kbps wma is superior in sound quality to 128 kbps MP3. I don't know because I have never dealt with wma on purpose. I must admit that the sound quality of Rhapsody and the disks it burns is quite satisfactory.
Again, thanks for the research.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2003, 10:34:28 am »

THE POINT IS:
one dollar for one song in a lossFull format.

It is not next week that i would stop to use P2P............

Harry_The_Hipster

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2003, 12:15:52 pm »

The wma/cda audio quality is pretty good. The problem comes in ripping them to the drive (I think).

They can't be copied in their existing format, so the best you can do is rip them as APEs, which avoids further audio loss but results in large file sizes. On the other hand, if you compress further (mp3. Ogg), you're just squeezing more juice out of the orange, because the source material is already compressed in a lossy format.

Or maybe I'm missing the obvious. Badly in need of enlightenment here.

HTH

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2003, 01:47:04 pm »

they said they use WMA 128 Kps.
It seems that the best think to do is to convert to this.
But  do you know the codex? WMA 7 - 8 or 9?
Here can be the problem.
Now , just try with TotalRecorder.
I ripped some Audiogalaxy stream-with MC- First on WMA 128.
But i gave a try to MP3 192 as well.
And i was not able 'to see' the difference.
So i started gain all to MP3.
I mean i ripped twice , not a convertion

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2003, 04:31:02 pm »

HTH sez:
On the other hand, if you compress further (mp3. Ogg), you're just squeezing more juice out of the orange, because the source material is already compressed in a lossy format.

That's really the issue at hand ... is the CD burned at the same bitrate, as far as sound quality goes, as the files that you listen to?  It seems that the answer is "Yes" because that's the file they have whether you're streaming or burning.

Zevele pointed me in the direction of a Russian site that you could choose the bitrate you download and is priced by the MB. That is a VERY good idea. That way you can get the quality that you're willing to pay for. Are they legal? It would appear so because they don't have some albums. If they were bootleg and you were just paying for their encoding and servers, you would think they would have everything. But, then again, it's Russia ... who knows? That sounds bad but what I mean is that it could be any country that their law is unfamiliar and you couldn't be sure.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele10

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2003, 08:32:03 am »

They do like MP3.com does.
If you have the PlusPlayer you can burn on a fly from they site to redbook cd, and you get a cd who is like one from the shop.
If you download any song from MP3.com on your hard drive ,you can also burn to cd and have a redbook cd as in a shop.
BUT; at the start was an MP3.So you convert it to WAV- you may get a very small quality increase at the stereo level- from WAV burn to cd.
Your cd is like a buy one.If you check you would see the same numbers ,44.000 ect BUT YOUR REDBOOK IS FULL OF AIR.
You had a size 128,converted to size WAV [ let say size 500], converted to size redbook [ let say size 1000 ].

And now ,ladys and gentlement you have a size 128 in a box of size 1000.
And because of it it looks like you think that labels are cool now selling you songs on cd at $1.

They sell you MP3 at $1 the song.
They just F you with no cream or condom

Aidiogalaxy has WMA 128 kps ,instead of MP3 , but the same story.

So your songs on your cd are WMA 128 in a redbook shell as i said.
If you want to keep the original quality ,you have to convert to WMA 128.
Now ,as i said , better to know about the WMA : codex 7 -8 or 9

Karolus: shutt your mouth...please , about the russians
Pages: [1]   Go Up