INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Rhapsody Expands Burning  (Read 2239 times)

Harry_The_Hipster

OT - Rhapsody Expands Burning
« on: February 13, 2003, 06:08:48 am »

Rhapsody now permits burning for approximately 50% of its library, at $0.49 per file. A quick look indicates they've substantially expanded available material. You must be a subscriber to burn - can't just visit for that purpose.

The price is a loss leader for the next 4-6 weeks, to determine market demand for the service and encourage the Loch Ness Monsters to move to a more consumer-friendly model

Here's the WSJ article:  http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html

Apparently, you burn it directly to a CD-R on your drive, and can then copy it onto your hard drive. What isn't clear to me is how much additional audio loss you experience if you then recode it to mp3 or Ogg Vorbis, instead of allowing it to remain as a wav or APE file.

HTH

zevele10

Re: OT - Rhapsody Expands Burning
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 11:19:27 am »

here another link

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=582&e=5&cid=582&u=/nm/20030213/wr_nm/music_listen_dc

they pay around 70 cents for a track-As i say at this price ,no way ,Kazaa is here to stay.

Charlemagne8 bought some tracks. He can tell about the way it works.
Not sure but i think you get the song in the new Window lossless format.
Not sure about the fact you have to burn on the fly to cd
Must be an option ,as in MP3.com

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2003, 03:42:57 pm »

Burning works well in Rhapsody. At 99 cents a song, I was being VERY selective. Fortunately I like long songs.
It uses it's own burning software ... all you need is a CD-RW drive and a blank CD-R. Now all they need is cover art and disk labelling software.
The burned CD's sound quite good ... at least as good as the on-line stuff. I think Zevele is correct about the Windows format ... I KNOW he's correct that it's a Windows Media format because they tell you that but I don't know if it's a lossless one.
They are burned as plain CDA's so you can do what you want with them. If you find a way to test the actual bit rate of the original, let me know. All I know is that it sounds good to me.

At 49 cents, that's where I'm going now. Now they're getting real.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Lucy

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2003, 05:29:15 am »

now they have free trial till 21st Feb. No credit cards are needed. hahaha.... :o

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2003, 07:03:09 am »

Funny thing is they don't tell their current members about the reduced burning price. I suppose you don't know until you pay for the tracks that you burned. That stinks.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up