INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Universal to enter Digital download market  (Read 4758 times)

DeathRider

• World Citizen
Robert Long

elgibby

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Red Sox
Re: Universal to enter Digital download market
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2002, 07:03:29 am »

Interesting.
But the formats will be Liquid Audio and WMA, so there will be some copy protections.
Wonder how this will square with UMG's position that the tracks will be burnable and transferrable?

phelt

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2002, 09:44:30 am »

Both Liquid Audio and Windows Media allow for burning to audio CD's if those rights were defined when the media was encoded. Transfer to portable devices will be dependent upon device support for your chosen format.

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2002, 03:33:49 pm »

"This is a direct blow to the peer-to-peer services by providing consumers with a cheap and easy way to get a trusted file,"

Is this a glimmer of a ghost of a hope that there maybe might be a head coming out of the, uh, sand?

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2002, 11:40:41 am »

phelt is right.
Look like Liquid or Wm is kind of security concerning buying the song.
But the price is still ti hight to buy it.
You may buy song like i would have ? or had? -tell me please- concerning one song i heard in a shop -see my post-

But no way to spend money on a regular basic at this price.

They gave birth to p2p ,but they are like Frankestien creator.......
And i do not see the point to try to be nice to this people  THEY ARE ENEMYS as they been since  60 years and would be for ever.
If you like to be f ,up to you

phelt

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2002, 12:27:13 pm »

I'm going to have to go along with the folks who are complaining about the price, for these 2 main reasons:
The stuff - the disc, the inserts/liners, assembly, shipping. That's all up to the user in this scheme.
The quality - it's not like you are getting CD-quality tunes, regardless of what the marketing drones claim.
Obviously there are costs associated with a digital distribution scheme, especially in ramp-up. But I'm not sold. Especially while some albums will not be complete.

This brings up an interesting point (well, to me anyway): since the record labels make money off of blank CD's to counterbalance the expected piracy, should they stop getting those royalties when blanks become another distribution medium?

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2002, 01:18:10 pm »

C23,

>Is this a glimmer of a ghost of a hope that there maybe might be a head coming out of the, uh, sand?

Not likely.

When you look at it through the eyes of Heisenberg's "Uncertainty Principle" you get the following.....

Assume the head can be anywhere between two possible positions...out in the open OR down in the sand. You can never see that the head was out of the sand because the mere act of observation changes it's location. All we know is that the head was "somewhere" in between the two locations but is more likely to be in the sand because that's it's natural resting position (state of lowest energy).

10-27

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2002, 02:58:40 pm »

xen-uno,
That sounds very cynical.
I am too so that's not a criticism.

I have bought a few tracks at 99 cents each but I'm not diving in. Some albums would work out to be more than full price while others would be less than full price (it all depends on the length of the songs) so I suppose that, on average, you would be paying full price for a full CD.

I can make one here for a few bucks and that's counting my time as something. A manufacturer can supposedly cut those costs.

So you go to a store, buy a CD with artful and elaborate covers, liner notes, etc., all sealed up AND at 1411 Kbps for about the same price as you can download a 128 kbps, YOU provide the medium, YOU provide the hardware and most of the software and YOU get the artwork and liner notes and laboriously make a CD sleeve out of them (they still won't look as good) AFTER supposedly paying the royalties when you bought the "Music" CD.

This is NOT the way to beat the P2P's but maybe it's a very tentative step in the right direction.
It's a better attitude than "You're all a bunch of crooks and we're gonna get you!" as in the recent past.

They still have a long way to go if they want to provide what people are looking for.

Whew!. Glad THAT'S over with.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele10

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2002, 03:30:43 pm »

First i had a post asking if machine gun a solution concerning heads  in the sand . But it was deleted. To show that posts who make sense  do not stay long here.

Now ,really , let's try to understand , we are not in the same frame than the one who is yours ,mine.
As karolus8 said  a full album would cost more that the real one .
For normal people  Karolus you forget to say that ,after riping it to APE and scanning sleeve and artefact you will get few $$ from a second -hand shop giving the cd to them.
But we are speaking about idiots marketing for idiots.
They cannot focus on aything longer than an advertissement. To the point that on MTV  no advertissement stuff look like advertissement .
They read tabloids and first of all they read the pictures.
Look at CNN and Fox news . Most of the time they programs are like 'How , me ,mongoloide understand what going on'

For this people one dollar a track would be fine,assuming they do understand how to pay for it.

We are not speaking about culture-if yes you would have another president- , we are not speaking about Art -a 3  letters word who sounds like a 4 letters words to too  many in your country.

Just about idiots selling a $1 song to idiots .
And ,trust me they will sell a lot . Not because there is a lot of songs, but there is a lot of idiots .. more in some countrys than others, if you know what i mean.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2002, 03:44:06 pm »

First i had a post asking if machine gun a solution concerning heads  in the sand . But it was deleted. To show that posts who make sens  do not stay long here.

Zev,
I deleted it.  Suggesting machine guns as a solution is not welcome.  It is sometimes necessary, but we're talking about music.

Get a grip, man!

Jim

zevele10

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2002, 04:20:49 pm »

Jimh
No need to answer me .
I just tease the forum -means the place and all the people ,including  you and me-
If one day i 'am really upset i would try my best to calm down and tell you using other ways than here.
As i say,i would try .
Machine gun wa a musical joke = Hendrix , Machine gun live at the Fillmore.

And ,by the way ,who came first ? The sand or the heads?

phelt

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2002, 04:22:34 pm »

There seems to be the idea that it's going to be 99 cents per track, exclusively. But if I read Universal's release correctly, it's going to be 99 cents for any given song, and $9.99 for an album, regardless of how many (or few, for that matter) songs are on the album. So one might have to be a smart shopper and buy an 8-song album song by song, but should also be able to get albums with 10+ songs for less than buying the songs individually.

NY40Male

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2002, 11:21:19 am »

Was Just Looking At Liquid.com And Was Interested In A Barry Manilow Album...The Cost Of Downloading That Album Was $47.49...ummm Price A Little Steep?

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2002, 04:01:45 pm »

NY40,
Serves you right for being interested in Barry Manilow.

Just kidding ... I actually like a couple of his songs.

General question:

You can find a player to play WMA if you want to pay extra (on top of the extra for an MP3 player) but where is a Liquid Audio player?

At least when AudioGalaxy/Rhapsody offers a rip, it's CDA.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2002, 10:14:13 am »

>> Universal Music kicks off digital download plan  
it will fail when users understand they are dishing out secure music.

40,000+ files? why open the store?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up