INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HTML Library View Plugin - Any Takers?  (Read 2010 times)

sraymond

HTML Library View Plugin - Any Takers?
« on: October 06, 2003, 11:41:37 am »

Guys,

I have an idea that might have some merit, but to exploit it for all its worth requires a basic plugin.  Here's what I'm thinking:

It would be nice to have a plugin that takes the MC "Export Playlist" function to create an XML document (using the MPL format) that can have an XLST applied to transform the data into whatever HTML presentation that is desired - or even another transform to another XML schema for use by other programs.  Or, the plug-in could create an XML document itself that conforms to the MPL2.0 schema.

The beauty behind the XSLT aspect is that users can modify (customize) the templates quite easily - XSLT is just a text document.  True, it's technically a "programming language", but it's not compiled, so with even just a basic understanding, the user gets to be a "programmer".  He/she can completely change the content (i.e. add/remove fields) *or* the presentation.

A plug-in would allow the user to choose which XSLT to apply (users could modify the templates that are provided), which columns to display or sort (by passing the values to the XSLT), and which CSS to use.  The "ExportIt" Plug-in (http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Other_Plugins;action=display;num=1060631838;start=0#0) seems like a great start - so hopefully Stilton might offer his perspective.

I did a proof-of-concept of the MPL transformation to HTML (via XSLT), which is described in the thread http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1065142102 (though the thread is a bit long).  Before I do any more work on the XSLT templates (adding more features), I'd like to know if there's any possibility that some kind plug-in developer hear would be willing to help with the plug-in programming (I would do all the XSLT).

Thoughts?

Scott-

phelt

Re: HTML Library View Plugin - Any Takers?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 03:29:03 pm »

Will some kind coder please have a stab at this? I would be very interested in seeing this.

sraymond

Re: HTML Library View Plugin - Any Takers?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 09:56:18 am »

I've started a new thread titled "AlbumViewew"...  it provides a link for the latest XSLT.

Scott-

nila

Re:HTML Library View Plugin - Any Takers?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 08:17:26 am »

Scott - sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet from your messages about this.

I dont think I'll have time.
It'd take me quite a while to do because I'd first of all have to understand the transformation process before I could even start to make the plugin to do it.

Sorry

sraymond

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 11:28:32 am »

That's OK, Nila...  

But to clarify, the transformation process is all handled by MSMXL.  It only takes a handful (less than 10 lines) of code to take an XML document and apply an XSLT transformation.

Scott-

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2003, 06:03:15 am »

Bump....
Pages: [1]   Go Up