INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glissando 0.5.2a released  (Read 13784 times)

zigguratt

• World Citizen
Glissando 0.5.2a released
« on: September 09, 2002, 03:30:50 am »

This is to announce release 0.5.2a of Glissando. This release again fixes a couple of bugs and improves usability slightly. This is in preparation for the impending 1.0 beta release (really!). Those who wish to can definitely wait for the next release as these improvements are minor.

Changes in version 0.5.2a:

* There is now a quit button on the initial connect dialog.
* Shuffle now works on the first button press.
* MJ no longer crashes when pressing delete a second time while last track selected.
* "Lyrics" and "Notes" text now single-spaced instead of double.
* Installing Glissando now creates a Glissando.x.x.x directory.
* Choosing one track to play in the Media Browser when only one track is in the current playlist will now update the current track information.

You can download the new version http://www.syrinx.net/files/Glissando.0.5.2a.zip
The latest version of Glissando can be had here.

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
RE:Glissando 0.5.2a released
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2002, 03:34:44 am »

Groovy...

Are there any bugs still to catch ?? I have been fine without noticing anything for a while now...

When do we start to suggest post v1 suggestions and what if anything does MJv9 bring to the party (please say CD cover art browsing ;-) !!

Again thanks
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

zigguratt

• World Citizen
Re: Glissando 0.5.2a released
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2002, 05:05:41 am »

Oooo, two weird things: One, I didn't get notified of your response, PP. Two, this new software has made mincemeat of all my links to the Glissando download. Ugh.

As far as I know there are no major bugs to catch in the latest version of Glissando. I would love to hear of any before I release version 1.0b.

Post-V1 suggestions can start any time you like. All suggestions go on the wish list and will be addressed in order of the squeakiest wheel...

I can hear you squeaking now, Phat. ;)

I haven't installed MJ V9 yet as I have no idea what the new API looks like. Also, it's still very preliminary so I'm waiting a little longer to try it out.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2002, 05:36:37 am »

Am I a man or a mouse ? Give me a bit of cheese and i'll tell you :D !!
HTPC Front ends  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2002, 07:11:57 am »

Just adding an image...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2002, 08:46:23 am »

Speaking Of Lise

Is She Still Around Have Not Heard From Her.

J Gourd Sent Me A E-mail The Other Day, I Am Glad He Is Doing Better.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2002, 09:11:13 am »

If I were you, I would duck now.
:P

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2002, 09:18:39 am »

Does that mean she is Learning To fly an Aircraft or has she turned into a bird?

The First time I flew A Helicopter I Almost Crashed It. Good Thing I Had A Real Pilot At The Controls.

FYI:

When Transfering The Controls You Must State:

"I Have The Controls, (Pilot) You Have The Controls, I Have The Controls"
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JohnC

• Recent member
  • Just Love MJ8!!!    Can't understand MJ9
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2002, 11:10:10 am »

Excuse my ignorance, but what does Glissando do???
Or rather how does it fit in with MJ 8 or 9???

John C
I believe-
that two people can look at the exact same thing and see something
totally different.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2002, 11:38:56 am »

Glissando can connect to WebRemote which connects to MJ and so it can control MJ.

Think of it as a very elegant remote control.  

The reason I think that these kinds of programs are important is that we will soon see Web Tablets or Tablet PC's that come in several sizes and are touch screen controlled.  Some will make nice remote controls -- you can do this now with a Windows Pocket PC connected wirelessly.  Some will make nice wall controls for places like the kitchen.

JohnC

• Recent member
  • Just Love MJ8!!!    Can't understand MJ9
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2002, 12:23:59 pm »

Thanks for the informative answer Jim.

Now I know!!!!

John C     :-[
I believe-
that two people can look at the exact same thing and see something
totally different.

andrewswright

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2002, 08:38:44 pm »

I am trying to install Glissando according to the instructions in the install.txt document. I have media jukebox and the media server started, with the port set to 8080 in both the media server and the glissando.txt file. Both programs are running on the same machine.

When I start Glissando it hangs at "Testing network connection..."

In the media server I get the following messages:

10/13/02 09:53:23 - received a connection
10/13/02 09:53:23 - ready for another connection
10/13/02 09:53:23 - private sharing thread started
10/13/02 09:53:23 - expected GET
10/13/02 09:53:23 - read_http_request failed: -1

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2002, 03:20:45 pm »

I have been out of touch with MJ, Interact, and Glissando for over two months now, but I think I may be able to shed some light....well it has been almost a month since you asked for help, so you may not need it now, but here it goes anyway.

You are refering to Media Server, and Glissando, and mentioned that you set the ports equal to 8080.  Well the problem with that, is that Media Server, and Glissando are two different pieces of funtionality related to MJ.  Try putting 8081 in the web remote settings in MJ, and the same in the Glissando.txt file, and you should be all set.  

Drew  

scottw

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2003, 06:37:35 am »

This is a great program but is there any way to add the ability to adjust the font size. I am still having a hard time reading from my list of song's.
Thanks,
Scott

DanB

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2003, 06:44:43 pm »

I cannot find the int_WebRemote.css for the web remote plugin anywhere! I've downloaded this thing about 2000 times and nothing! Therefor, I cannot try out Glissando and keep getting the "Testing Network Connection" message that will not go away. Any ideas? Is the installer for the plugin wrong or broken? Thanks.

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2003, 03:43:55 am »

I don't recall ever doing anything with the int_WebRemote.css file.  In addition, I am not completely sure there is an installer program for Glissando.  I have it working at my house, and it works just fine.  I am using the latest version of MJ8, with Glissando 0.5.2a, from two different laptops at different times and it works great.  

Did you install the original web remote pluggin from the downloads page?  This is the place to start.  Once that is done, then you can download Glissando, unzip it to the correct folder according to the install.txt file, and continue on with the install directions in that file.  

Give that a try and let me know if you need more help.

Zoner

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2003, 07:26:02 am »

Can someone please post a link to the Glissando home page, assuming one exists?  I want to find out more about it.  Unfortunately glissando is such a common musical term, I couldn't find it via google (or a search in this forum - everyone posts about it, but no-one includes a link to the home page).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2003, 02:56:17 pm »

You can find a link on the Third Party Plug-in board here.

Zoner

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2003, 01:40:15 am »

> You can find a link on the Third Party Plug-in board here.

As I said, a search yielded nothing (unless you count posts from you, JimH, where you said the same thing before).  Please at least post a link to the post where the link is, because I can't find it!  I'm not saying it's not there, just that I can't find it.

Zoner

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2003, 02:10:41 am »

zigguratt

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2003, 02:20:58 am »

Not yet, anyway...

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2003, 09:37:59 pm »

ohh you little tease  :P
HTPC Front ends  

Zoner

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Skins?
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2003, 11:16:32 am »

Now I downloaded it and installed it - pretty nifty!  I'm looking for something to run on a 10.4" touch-screen, and this is pretty close, except that the buttons are too small for that.  Are there any skins designed for a 10.4" (or smaller) touch-screen?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2003, 04:43:57 am »

REMOTE SERVER in MC 9.0.140
Replaces Web Remote

If you've been using the WebRemote plug-in for MJ/MC with either NetRemote or Glissando, you will now have the same capability built in to JRiver Media Center (versions 9.0.140 and above).  

Remote Server (formerly Web Remote) is now built and configurable from Tools -> Options -> Startup.  

If you're not familiar with this, it provides a way to access the MC library from a browser or other program.

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2003, 06:21:47 am »

JimH,
I use MJ (server in the basement) and Glissando (laptop in kitchen) to control my music in my house.  I have not upgraded to MC, as that is my sole means of music in my house, and I wanted the stability that MJ offered.  Clearly MC is getting very stable, and I am seeing that, as I have MC loaded on my laptop, to check out the new features.

I have a couple of questions relating the the new version of web remote server, and I am not sure where to put them.  Maybe you can help.  
1.  The old version (pluggin) of web remote allowed you to monitor the connection.  Is this planned for the future, or do we have to assume that it is running?
2.  As stated above, I use Glissando to access my files on my home machine, as I like the interface and the fact that it has the cover art.  I have tested it on my laptop, and the glissando interface does not display the audio type files when trying to search and add to playing now, and I am wondering if this is still supported, and is a bug, or is glissando not supported?  Maybe this is something I need to get some help from Daniel on.

Thanks for your help!!!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2003, 06:30:13 am »

I'm not sure what you mean by "monitoring" the connection.  You could always connect to MC with a browser by entering "machine.domain.com:8080 where 8080 is the port you're running it on.

For Glissando problems, I don't know, but make sure you're using the right version of WebRemote.  There are a lot of them.

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2003, 07:01:48 am »

Sorry, I guess I was so excited, that I did not reread and make sure I explained everything.

By "monitoring" I meant that if you clicked on plug-ins, and clicked on web remote from within MJ/MC, prior to having the remote server functionality, you would get a screen that showed you the port number that was chosen, (and allowed you to change it) plus there was a stop and start server button, and a list of what commands were being performed.  For example, when you started up MJ/MC, and you clicked on this you would see that the server was started.  Any commands that were entered either through a browser, or Glissando, would register their as well.  I guess that is what I mean by monitor.  I don't use Media Server, although I have seen it, and I think it has the same functionality.  Hopfully this helps explain what I mean.

Regarding your response to my second question, I am totally confused, as I was under the impression that the web remote plug-in was not necessary anymore, as the functionality was included in with MC.  In fact I uninstalled the Web Remote Plug-in, as I thought it might conflict with the new code that was included within MC.  Once I did that, I connected through a browser, found it to work, so I tried Glissando, and although it worked, I did not have the Audio files as I stated before.  To add a question to the original question, am I under the wrong impression about the remote server functionality, and that I am still responsible for the Web Remote plug-in version, or is that now included in the base functionality of MC?

Thanks for your help with this Jim!

Drew

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2003, 07:17:09 am »

You can still set the port and turn the server on or off, but configuration is now in Settings/Startup.

When I said to make sure you had the right version of WebRemote, I assumed you were still using the older method.  If you have 9.0.140 (or above) you don't need WebRemote.  

It's certainly possible that something was broken when we moved the server to MC.

zigguratt

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2003, 08:31:06 am »

That's excellent news, Jim! I'm right in the middle of a Glissando semi-rewrite so I'll have to take a look at connecting with MC. Sorry, I've been away for a while due to family issues... does the new MC functionality support persistent sockets as WebRemote did? That's the key to Glissando's interactivity. Is there documentation anywhere?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2003, 08:39:51 am »

That's excellent news, Jim! I'm right in the middle of a Glissando semi-rewrite so I'll have to take a look at connecting with MC. Sorry, I've been away for a while due to family issues... does the new MC functionality support persistent sockets as WebRemote did? That's the key to Glissando's interactivity. Is there documentation anywhere?

The Remote Server now built into MC 9 is built atop the WebRemote code the you co-authored.  So if WebRemote does it, the new built in stuff will too.

Let us know if you find any problems with the new Remote Server system.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

zigguratt

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2003, 09:28:52 am »

Thanks, Matt. That's good to know. I'll try it out soon. Right now I'm rather busy with improving Glissando. In response to a question above regarding Glissando skins, the next release will have a ridiculously extensive skinning system that allows you to define absolutely everything about the interface, even what actions are executed by what button/scrollbar/list, etc. It's all defined in an XML file that's read in on startup. Even the key mappings are defined in the XML skin file. The appearance of all interface items can be changed completely; you can even define vector drawings in XML.

I hope that covers your question, Zoner! :) Unfortunately you'll have to wait for the next release of Glissando.

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2003, 10:08:07 am »

Wow, lots of activity in this thread today.

I am going to circle back around to several of the responses from today, while getting back to my original questions relating to the 1) "Monitoring", and 2) Potential Web Remote Bug.  My guess is that the first question is to Matt, and the second one is to Daniel and Matt.

Jim helped me get to a better understanding of what is going on in the new version, but still leaves a few questions.

1)  The Plug-in version (old web remote) of the web remote software was controlled from the plug-in section of the tree.  One of the features that I found useful from that was the ability to watch what was happening ("Monitor") the connection to see if each request from the third party tools was being received.  Was this functionality overlooked, deemed not necessary, or is it slated for enhancment in a later version?  (not necesarily MC9) It really allowed us non-techies to see if the web remote software was functioning from the "server" side. (sorry for the non technical explanation)

2)  I loaded the new MC version last night, and uninstalled the Web Remote Plug-in.  I started up the new Remote Server, by setting up the configuration, shutting down MC, and restarting.  I checked that Remote Server was running by starting a browser and going to the IP/Port, and it was working.  I then tested Glissando, and it worked.  However, I found that I did not have the ability to browse my Audio Files.  

My real question is that I am not sure if this is a bug in the latest version of MC, or if it is something in Glissando, which works fine with the old version of the Web Remote Plug-in that is loaded on my server in the basement?  

Based on the fact that Daniel is re-writing glissando (can't wait!) I do not think trouble shooting an old version is worth it, but I also don't want to overlook it if the problem is with MC.  Any ideas?

If this second item should go into the thread containing the latest release, I will report it their.

Thanks   Drew  

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2003, 06:54:58 pm »

While at the conceptual stage...

Please consider some form of allowing the cover art (thumbnail perhaps) to be transmitted or requested with the browsing of media...

This should open up the ability to browse by cover art in Glissando... I dont know if this can be done with a local cache that read from the MC DBase and needed periodic renewal or how to best solve this but it is very desirable...

Roll on Glissando.... I am ready to upgrade my touchscreen (anyone want a touchpad 802.11 Win32 computer ?? I have a couple... They make great controllers) to get the sleeker look of of the Progear.
HTPC Front ends  

WickedEwok

• Recent member
  • Software Architect
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2003, 07:36:21 pm »

The Remote Server now built into MC 9 is built atop the WebRemote code the you co-authored.

As Matt said, the new RemoteServer is essentially a port of the webremote code to a new model. The guts of the server that host support for web, Glissando, and NetRemote are all entirely the same.

ama_mmmc: For MJB 8, were you using the version downloaded from here or from the netremote website? If it's the one from the netremote website, then the one built into MC 9 should be effectively the same. If it's the one from here, then it's possible I broke something between the version here and the newer version.

nila

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2003, 10:41:44 am »

Not sure if this is a problem with Glissando or MC but trying to use the Media browser tool in Glissando totally kills MC and results in Media Core dying and crashing.
Latest build of MC.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2003, 10:12:22 pm »

Yes this is an issue since the WebRemote has been incorporated into the MC build (instead of a plug in) it has been reported numerous times and AFAIK everyone is aware of it.

The work around is to install the Web Remote plug in anyway (and replace the IntWebRemote.dll as per the Glissando instructions) and set that up on a port... The old plug in works fine...

Personally I have the plug in on port 8080 and the new internal one set for port 8081... This way with each new build I can test the 8081 version but keep all my home audio and HT setup (I have a bunch of touchpads running glissando) running smooth...

Hopefully this will be debugged before release... Can any Netremote users confirm or deny problems with the new internal web remote ??
HTPC Front ends  

WickedEwok

• Recent member
  • Software Architect
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2003, 04:34:14 am »

Hi PP.

Versions of NetRemote 0.99 and later use a new lighter protocol to talk to Media Center, which is in the new RemoteServer.dll. Versions before NetRemote 0.99 have worked fine with all builds of RemoteServer.

Unfortunately Glissando uses an XML handler within WebRemote/RemoteServer that only Daniel knows the inner workings of, I've only merged the codebase together, I haven't changed his code.

An enterprising individual might try to download the version of WebRemote from the netremote website, as that version is the "closest" to RemoteServer. That's the codebase I used as the starting point of RemoteServer. If that works, then there is something strange going on. If it doesn't, then I broke something in my custom version.

JRiver or I should send Daniel the RemoteServer code so that he can debug his xml part.

bobe4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2003, 02:23:18 am »

Can this program work on a pocket pc pda, or is this just for regular networked computers?

bobe4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2003, 02:23:23 am »

Can this program work on a pocket pc pda, or is this just for regular networked computers?

bobe4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2003, 02:23:29 am »

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2003, 05:26:00 am »

I would think that if you want to adopt PDA control... The tool for the job would be NetRemote...

Ben has made the wireless PDA control as his main focus since starting the project...
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up