INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: streaming audio with media scheduler  (Read 1123 times)

wpeaton

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
streaming audio with media scheduler
« on: November 27, 2002, 02:01:06 pm »

I'd like to be able to use Media Scheduler to record arbitrary audio streams. Specifically, I'm in the habit of burning archived National Public Radio shows onto a CD for long road trips. (I used to use Absolute MP3 recorder, but it's no longer being actively developed and Windows media player seems to have broken it with the last update).

Because the Start Recording command doesn't allow you to specify a file, you're forced to start the stream manually and then have the scheduler record the file. This is only useful for a live stream, e.g. I've got a show on a radio station that comes on at a certain time. I manually set Media Jukebox to the radio station and leave it going. Then, I tell Media Scheduler when to record.

If I want to record an archived show, I'm out of luck. Unless I don't mind missing the first minute of the show. So I could set up a two separate tasks. The first starts the show. The second starts recording. Since two tasks cannot start at the same time, the second task must be started one minute later. Yuck.

The only way I've found around this is to write a VBScript which sends keystrokes to Media Jukebox. This is an exceptionally cheesy way to do this. What's more, my VBScript currently causes a BSOD when I run it (though I'm pretty sure I'll have it fixed soon).

Ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: streaming audio with media scheduler
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 02:07:11 pm »

By "archived show", do you mean a show on their server or yours?

wpeaton

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 07:53:16 am »

> By "archived show", do you mean a show on
> their server or yours?

Their server. NPR has a lot of great radio shows and interviews that are available. Unfortunately, they're always streaming audio: you can't download the sound file.

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2002, 11:05:16 am »

This is a great request.

I use Total Recorder to schedule and record NPR programs straight to 64K mp3 files. Then I manually use MP3 Splitter to chop the hour long shows into 30 two minute segments which I burn on CD and use in my MP3 player.

It does a good job, but I'd prefer to use Media Jukebox/Center. And I'd like be able to launch and record the archived NPR streams.

I'm having a very tough time trying to accomplish this now with Media Center beta 9.08x. The tools seem secondary and buried. Also, recording the wave out seems very hard to adjust correctly.

Is anyone else using the Media Scheduler? Can "Record Sound" work like Total Recorder or should I just stick with the tried and true?

BTW, Total Recorder is very good at doing things like recording the line-in while you're listening to something else via the wave-out. Can Media Center do this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up