INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: General questions about programming MJ/MC  (Read 2215 times)

Sergio

• Junior Woodchuck
General questions about programming MJ/MC
« on: January 09, 2003, 07:22:16 am »

I'm really interested in knowing what tools you use to program MJ/MC, that is, if it's not corporate secret ;D. I think I've heard it's coded in C++, which makes sense, is this true? And what development environment do you use? Visual C++?

I'm really interested in knowing this since I've been searching for a RAD, productive C++ tool for my Windows programming, and Visual C++ 6.0 has disappointed me because of the extreme complexity of MFC, and I'm not that interested in Visual C++ .Net because of the whole virtual environment/JIT thing (although the .Net class library is very well done, I must say that).
Haven't looked much at Borland though, I hear their libraries are not so good.

I'd really like to hear what professional developers have to say...

Thanks,
Sérgio
Sérgio Gomes

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: General questions about programming MJ/MC
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 07:35:00 am »

It's Microsoft Visual C++ and we switched to the .Net environment a few weeks ago.  We were just talking about whether that was a good idea.

Sergio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 07:42:07 am »

Thanks for the speedy answer :)

That's odd, I could swear programs in .Net were slower... All the better! I guess I'll get a Visual Studio .Net CD (university made a deal with MS) and play with it a bit then.

Thanks again,
Sérgio
Sérgio Gomes

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2003, 09:05:09 am »

You might wait for their next release.  This one is slower to use.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2003, 11:11:25 am »

Thanks for the speedy answer :)

That's odd, I could swear programs in .Net were slower...
Thanks again,
Sérgio

They are as they use "managed" code ... but you can use the .Net IDE for creating "normal" C++ apps.

At home I would have switched to the .net development environment ages ago but I never could find out if you could get it to create MSDEV 6.0 compatible projects/workspaces which I need as I develop at work as well.

Interestingly enough at work we have dumped java because of it's JIT was way too slow for what we wanted do to.   Makes you wonder if .Net really has a future too.

Sergio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2003, 11:41:38 am »

Thanks for your replies. I was not aware that you could create .Net-Framework-less code in Visual Studio .Net. The managed code you're talking about has to do with Microsoft's vision of "never mind manually managing virtual memory, we'll do it for you", not with the use of .Net classes and structures, right?

I mean, can you use all the nice .Net classes and still get a true binary instead of a JIT virtual binary, or do you have to use MFC in order to achieve this?  ?
Sérgio Gomes

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2003, 10:33:57 pm »

I was under the impression that .Net classes were only available under managed code ... but then again I am probably wrong as I haven't really looked at it.

If I pluck up enough courage to dump DevStudio and install .Net I will let you know :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up