INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Automation out-of-proc  (Read 1990 times)

Nikolay

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
MC Automation out-of-proc
« on: August 25, 2003, 05:54:47 am »

Hi everybody,

Just want to let you know that MJAutomation now can be used by other application (outside of MC process). To access the automation object, you will need to install MC (9.1.238 )

Nikolay

Soundman

• World Citizen
  • Go Music!
Re: MC Automation out-of-proc
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 03:29:21 pm »

Hi, Nikolay.

Terrific!  I've been looking forward to this for awhile.

One thing you didn't mention is: what is the name of the automation server to connect to externally?

Through much experimentation and searching through the registry, I found that the server name "MediaJukebox Application" (yes, with a space in it!) works.  Nikolay, is this really the right name to use, or should I use something different?

Slower than MCIO?  ?
To my surprise, I found that directly accessing Automation out-of-process is twice as slow as accessing automation out-of-process via via JHC's MediaCenterInsideOut plugin!

I had thought that eliminating the MCIO plugin as a "middle man" would speed it up, but it actually slows it down  :'(

Regards
Soundman

Nikolay

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 07:16:37 am »

Correct name for the automatio object is

MediaJukebox Application

Although, the same name with a dot instead of space works fine in C++.

We will take a look at performance. I'm, as you are, surprized that our out-of-proc automaton is slower then MediaCenterInsideOut implementation.

In the new build (240), if you start MC using automation, MC would run but would not be visible. To display MC use ShowProgram function.

This week, we will update MJAutomation documentation to reflect the changes.

Nikolay

Soundman

• World Citizen
  • Go Music!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 06:35:52 pm »

Nikolay,

Thanks for the information and for looking into performance.  Are you planning any other enhancements to Automation SDK?

I posted my big wish list in this thread:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=dev;action=display;num=1056513647

Of those, I *really* need #2, 1, 7, and 8, extra-especially #2.  Are these likely to be forthcoming, or should I work on what, for me, would be difficult workarounds?

Thanks,
Soundman

Pages: [1]   Go Up