INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: e-Classes in -Skinning 101- anyone?  (Read 8872 times)

LisaRCT

e-Classes in -Skinning 101- anyone?
« on: August 16, 2003, 06:04:46 am »

I have expressed interest in learning to do 'skinning', and one of our 'resident skinners' ('ToMy00') has expressed a willingness to help in this endeavor.

What we need now to get this off the ground is others who are interested; both 'skinners' to help teach and students interested in learning this skill.

The idea at this point is to set up an 'e-classroom' on IRC.  
Perhaps a skinning tutorial can be developed in the process . . (either text, graphical, multi-media, or a combination) to work with this, or for later use by others who are interested and missed this e-class.

Anyone interested in learning to do Skinning or in helping to teach?

Any ideas?

matshif

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: e-Classes in -Skinning 101- anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2003, 02:01:40 pm »

I have expressed interest in learning to do 'skinning', and one of our 'resident skinners' ('ToMy00') has expressed a willingness to help in this endeavor.

What we need now to get this off the ground is others who are interested; both 'skinners' to help teach and students interested in learning this skill.

The idea at this point is to set up an 'e-classroom' on IRC.  
Perhaps a skinning tutorial can be developed in the process . . (either text, graphical, multi-media, or a combination) to work with this, or for later use by others who are interested and missed this e-class.

Anyone interested in learning to do Skinning or in helping to teach?

Any ideas?

I'm intresting in learning. What's this IRC? Do I need some special program or what!

Mats

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 02:17:24 pm »

I would love to but I think my wife would leave me!  I feel a bit selfish letting others get on with the hard work and then enjoying the benefits.

Lise - I will gladly pay for any skins you produce (well the ones that are good that is) so I won't feel so guilty in future.  

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2003, 02:39:52 pm »

I'm intresting in learning. What's this IRC? Do I need some special program or what!

Mats

you can use mIRC from http://www.mirc.com

i made a channel and set the modes but i won't release anything till a quite group is ready..
Tamer

LisaRCT

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2003, 03:36:42 pm »

Lise - I will gladly pay for any skins you produce (well the ones that are good that is) so I won't feel so guilty in future.  

Well, thanks . .  . but I am not looking for financial gain, just a little creative expression.

However if I learn that and IF make any good skins, you can make a chartable contribution to a worthy non-profit  group instead.   ;)

matshif

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2003, 06:23:08 pm »

I am interested, but not really via IRC.  :-/

What's the problem?

matshif

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2003, 06:25:41 pm »

you can use mIRC from http://www.mirc.com

i made a channel and set the modes but i won't release anything till a quite group is ready..

It's downloaded and I will install in next week and I hope my wife will accept the time this will cost me (us).

Mats

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2003, 07:00:12 pm »

Great idea, Lisa! Thanks ToMy00 for volunteering your time and energy to teach.  Please add me to the class.  Can't pass up the chance to learn something new :)

Shelly

modelmaker

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2003, 07:45:59 pm »

count me in as well. I'm new to IRC but have already been to your link and started reading up on this.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Pink Waters

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2003, 07:48:11 pm »

thanks for all wanna join..
for now we will wait for a good number of members want to join and after that i will post a message with irc server (would be DALnet) and channel name and how to join(help for newbies) and after that i would give some instruction for getting users used to irc.. and for sure i would add operators(would be Skinners like JC and knickelfarz, and hope they would join us)..

thanks..
Tamer

Pink Waters

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2003, 07:50:30 pm »

count me in as well. I'm new to IRC but have already been to your link and started reading up on this.

you and anyone is new to IRC can join http://www.dalnet.com for instruction on the commands of the irc and how to connect..

or http://www.mirc.com and this is the client that connects to irc servers... there is a quiet help on it too..
Tamer

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2003, 04:05:53 am »

Why not use the developer's board here?

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=dev

That way, others would benefit from the discussion.

Just a thought.  It's nice to see you getting this together.

Pink Waters

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2003, 11:43:08 am »

Why not use the developer's board here?

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=dev

That way, others would benefit from the discussion.

Just a thought.  It's nice to see you getting this together.

thanks for the idea jim, but we are talking about real time chat ... :)
Tamer

NoCodeUK

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2003, 12:49:39 am »

Why not do both?  "Lessons" could be posted in the development board with links to the chat room so that people could discuss them and get any extra help they needed.  Like Jim said that way it is available to everyone...

And defo count me in.  I need some advice on transparency as Photoshop never seems to correctly export my transparency and I get horrible purple bits around my buttons :(

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

matshif

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2003, 12:54:07 am »

Why not do both?  "Lessons" could be posted in the development board with links to the chat room so that people could discuss them and get any extra help they needed.  Like Jim said that way it is available to everyone...

And defo count me in.  I need some advice on transparency as Photoshop never seems to correctly export my transparency and I get horrible purple bits around my buttons :(

Adam

Exactly. I have had a quick glance to the mIRC thing and would prefer a little easier way to begin with. :P

Mats

Pink Waters

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2003, 02:04:17 am »

Adam

my plan is:
getting people in the class room and the operators discuss skinning tutorials via parts while the channel is moderated (which means no regular user can write to the channel unless it is not moderated or given a voice from an operator..) after that the channel gets unmoderated and the FAQ parts begains.. the getting it moderated and so on.. hope you got that on your mind adams :)
Tamer

NoCodeUK

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2003, 02:17:29 am »

Surely though if you use an IRC style chat room the people interested would all have to "be there" when the tutorial was taking place.  We are all in different places around the world, different time zones etc rendering this highly unlikely that everyone would be available at the same times.  If the lessons were posted and then questions were answered in the chat room it would not matter when anybody logged on as long as there was always a mod in there at all times.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Pink Waters

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2003, 03:39:37 am »

Surely though if you use an IRC style chat room the people interested would all have to "be there" when the tutorial was taking place.  We are all in different places around the world, different time zones etc rendering this highly unlikely that everyone would be available at the same times.  If the lessons were posted and then questions were answered in the chat room it would not matter when anybody logged on as long as there was always a mod in there at all times.

Adam

well shure thing that i hope that channel is used for chating too in the time no lessons is running ;)

so... when opened all users i hope to keep their foot on it..well.. if they like to :)

oh.. man .. i love real-time stuff  ::)
Tamer

NoCodeUK

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2003, 04:16:43 am »

Maybe the content of the "lessons" conducted in the IRC room could then be "glammed up" and posted online.  I would happily do this.  I can do web design and have some spare server space.  I just think the lesons need to be made available out side of a realt time environment too so that thise not able to "attend" could still benefit from this...I spend too much time in chat rooms and forums already ;D

Adam

NoCodeUK

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2003, 08:33:12 am »

Don't worry Chimp.  Thats my plan...I will try and add everything that happens in the chat room into the forums.  And if I am not around I will get ToMy00 to log everything there so that it can easily be added in later!!

Adam

phelt

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2003, 09:13:18 am »

Please help me understand why the IRC chan is necessary when the Developer Forum is available. Other than the potential exclusion of users from IRC for time zone and accessibility reasons, it seems as if logging and posting could be sporgy and disorganized (due to unfocused chatter inherent to chat and run-on conversations instead of individual topics), or incomplete (due to manual editing decisions).

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2003, 09:19:15 am »

Real-time chat is yucky.  :)

How about this:  Go buy yourself a copy of Macromedia Flash MX, learn how to use it, and cook up a sweet interactive training .swf or .exe!  Woot!!  That would rock!!

:D
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

NoCodeUK

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2003, 09:50:38 am »

phelt:

My sentiments exactly...ToMy00 seems to like mIRC tho :)  I think web based is defo the answer then we can access it in our own time at our own pace...

Adam

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2003, 03:58:54 am »

Tomy,
It's a very good idea to teach others how to skin, but if you do it somewhere else, it won't help the people who read but don't write, and there are many of them.

I do appreciate what you've done and what you're trying to do.  It would be nice if it continued right here.

Thanks,

Jim

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2003, 06:50:12 am »

this reminds me of a song

'Baby Come Back' Charted At 32 In 1968

Listening to: 'Baby Come Back' from 'The Best Of Equals' by 'Equals' on Media Center 9.1
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Pink Waters

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2003, 03:34:09 pm »

this reminds me of a song

'Baby Come Back' Charted At 32 In 1968

Listening to: 'Baby Come Back' from 'The Best Of Equals' by 'Equals' on Media Center 9.1

don't know what you mean and what is the stuff that reminds you of that song but in a word: life remind me with "The Thin Ice"
Momma loves her baby, and daddy loves you too.
And the sea may look warm to you babe
And the sky may look blue
But ooooh babe
Ooooh baby blue
Oooooh babe.
If you should go skating
On the thin ice of modern life
Dragging behind you the silent reproach
Of a million tear-stained eyes
Don't be surprised when a crack in the ice
Appears under your feet.
You slip out of your depth and out of your mind
With your fear flowing out behind you
As you claw the thin ice. Ooooooh, Babe.! ::)
Tamer

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2003, 03:59:05 pm »

don't know what you mean and what is the stuff that reminds you of that song but in a word: life remind me with "The Thin Ice"

your post reminds me of another one

Listening to: 'Welcome Back' from 'Singers And Songwriters 1976-1977 (1)' by 'John Sebastian' on Media Center 9.1
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Pink Waters

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2003, 06:12:11 pm »

your post reminds me of another one

Listening to: 'Welcome Back' from 'Singers And Songwriters 1976-1977 (1)' by 'John Sebastian' on Media Center 9.1

here is another one looks like the one you said to me..its called "don't leave me know" and i apprecheate it.:)
Lyrics/Music: Waters
Vocals by: Waters

Ooooh babe, don't leave me now.
Don't say it's the end of the road.
Remember the flowers I sent.
I need you, babe
To put through the shredder
In front of my friends
How could you go?
When you know how I need you
To beat to a pulp on a Saturday night
How can you treat me this way?
Running away.
Ooooh babe.
Why are you running away?
Oooooh Babe
Tamer

shock

• Recent member
  • I groove in stereo ...
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2003, 05:05:53 pm »

Just set mIRC to log the chat, then the log can be posted on this site.  Those who want the "real time" experience are satisfied and those who "read but do not write" are satisfied as well.
shock

Pink Waters

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2003, 08:46:37 pm »

Just set mIRC to log the chat, then the log can be posted on this site.  Those who want the "real time" experience are satisfied and those who "read but do not write" are satisfied as well.

well iam going the create a Skinning help file and launch it with a new thread when finished.. and this thread iam planning to be used on posting quistions related to help file and related to skinning help in a common way and also for people wana go realtime the channel would be opened too..

is that to seem a good idea!?
Tamer

matshif

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2003, 08:52:20 pm »

well iam going the create a Skinning help file and launch it with a new thread when finished.. and this thread iam planning to be used on posting quistions related to help file and related to skinning help in a common way and also for people wana go realtime the channel would be opened too..

is that to seem a good idea!?

To me it's a brilliant solution.

Thanks for all your work. :D

Mats
Pages: [1]   Go Up