INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automation help  (Read 1660 times)

shauge

Automation help
« on: May 11, 2003, 11:44:27 am »

Hi, I want to use my PDA as a wireless remote. I have the communication up and running, but need some kickoff help regarding how to control Media Jukebox through automation.

I am using VS.NET C++ and have imported the type library, but have some problems figuring out which class id I need to use in the opening CreateInstance call. I'm have not used automation a lot and may be far off. Can someone post some hints regarding how to set up automation to work?

Thanks,
Ståle Hauge
Norway

shauge

Re: Automation help
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 09:42:02 am »

OK. I now realize that MJ was not designed for out of process automation control   :(

However I saw that JHT has made a plugin that makes the automation interface available. I'll ask him if he can send me a copy.

Soundman

• World Citizen
  • Go Music!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 05:47:19 pm »

Hi, Ståle.

I do recommend JHT's plug-in for out-of-process automation.  It works well for me.  The only trouble is that it is not very fast if you need to iterate through a large number of files.

Unfortunately, this comes up a lot. One thing I want to do is build a custom query string and ask MJ to play the files that match.  Unfortunately, although the Search() method will return a collection of files matching an arbitrary search string, there is no command to say, "play this collection of files". Instead, you have to iterate through the collection, adding each individual file to the playing now list.  You also can't set the filter string on a smart list, which would be even more powerful.

CMJAutomation is very powerful and full of potential, and I hope to see native support fo out of process clients, and ability to get & set the filter string on smartlists, view schemes, and to get and set the playback or view filter.

-- Soundman

shauge

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 12:19:02 pm »

Hi, Soundman.

I have two different usages of MJ remote control.
1. I need to control it from my PDA. For this usage a customized web remote is OK. Basically need to skip a song once in a while.
2. The other is to use another PC as a control center for my stereo. For this I need something that is more interactive than a web client. I think I can modify the webremote sampe to do this also.

I agree with you that it should somehow have been possible to set a filter to do a search. All in all, MJ is a great tool tough  :)

Soundman

• World Citizen
  • Go Music!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 06:23:45 pm »

1. I need to control it from my PDA. For this usage a customized web remote is OK. Basically need to skip a song once in a while.

If your PDA is the Pocket PC, then a perfect solution exists for you.  Check out http://www.netremote.org/

2. The other is to use another PC as a control center for my stereo. For this I need something that is more interactive than a web client. I think I can modify the webremote sampe to do this also.

This is sorta what I want to do, only I will run the control on the same PC as MC9, displayed on a TV screen, using an IR remote control to navigate.  No off-the-shelf solution does quite what I want.  Hairstyle looks nice, but is essentially non-configurable, so I think I am going to have to do lots of programming to make it happen.

Pages: [1]   Go Up