INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Killer feature or SDK ehancement for V9  (Read 1551 times)

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
Killer feature or SDK ehancement for V9
« on: June 28, 2002, 04:29:53 am »

Guys,

Since you are in the design stage for v9 here is what I think is a killer idea.

The Media Server that you have works really well but in my (and other's) case it doesn't work behind the company firewall and I want to listen to my music without all the bother of asking the admin to open non standard ports, etc.

So how about supporting FTP as the connection/download protocol?

You could then connect to the FTP server and go to a nominated directory that contains the .JMD files and download them.   Then when someone wants to play a file you can dl/stream it using the FTP protocol (obviously doing some name mapping to convert the filename within the MJ database to the correct FTP path).

If you don't think this is a good idea can I ask then that you expand the SDK to allow runtime switching of libraries (in read only mode) and have a callback that says "I want you to tell me the real location of file x" whenever you need to play a file.   With this I could then implement it myself

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Killer feature or SDK ehancement for V9
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2002, 06:28:22 am »

Rhino,
You should be able to move Media Server to a port your firewall does allow. For example, you can run it on a telnet socket (23), then connect to it by entering machine.domain.com:23 .

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2002, 06:36:26 am »

Hi Jim,

That was one of the first things I tried ... and it didn't work :(

I'll have another look tonight when I get back ... maybe it is something I have done wrong.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2002, 09:18:47 am »

It does work.  

Routers and gateways may need to be told what to do with inbound packet requests.  Also, some ISP's won't allow access to user servers.  Other apps may also be sitting on the port.

If you need help, please switch to the user forum.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2002, 09:35:43 am »

Jim,

> Routers and gateways may need to be told what to do with inbound packet requests

That's the key point with using the FTP protocol ... you wouldn't have to bother anyone since most firewalls monitor the FTP command socket and allow traffic movement accordingly, e.g. they pick up the PASV port.

I'll post a msg in the user forum but I think there is an issue when using it on W2K server/port 23/under admin since any port > 1024 works just fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up