INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shuffle or Randomize?  (Read 4062 times)

BarryD99

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Shuffle or Randomize?
« on: September 13, 2003, 04:25:35 am »

Can Media Center shuffle pictures it is serving up to Tivo?

If so, how?

Thanks

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Shuffle or Randomize?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 07:49:08 am »

Create a playlist that randomizes the pictures, and play this on the TiVo.

TiVo might have a "shuffle" option as well.

j

BarryD99

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 04:00:54 pm »

John:

Thanks for the reply.  I hate to be an idiot, but it is possible to create a playlist that shuffles itself each time it is selected?

I understand how create a playlist and shuffle it manually (by hilighting the list, right clicking, and then selecting shuffle), but how does the list get reshuffled without manually doing this?

BTW, Tivo has a shuffle feature but the instructions for MC say to not use it (as it won't do what you would expect it to do)

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 07:47:31 am »

Hi Barry,

Yes it is possible. Create a smart list, and then add modifier and use random in square brackets.

You can also try TiVo's option, it won't hurt anything.

j

BarryD99

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 05:05:40 pm »

>>Yes it is possible. Create a smart list, and then add modifier and use random in square brackets. >>

John:

Thanks again for the help.  If I do this, the image list always in the same order in MC (probably as it should be).  If I "play" the list on MC, the images appear randomly, also as you would expect.  However, if I play the images on the Tivo, they play in the order they are in the list (not random).

The Tivo shuffle feature appears to do nothing with MC (as the MC instructions hinted).

Any other thoughts?  Worst case, I can manually randomize the list every so often.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2003, 07:41:16 am »

Hi BarryD99,

I double checked and everything is working as it should be (which version are you running, not that it should matter).

For the Smartlist with [random], go to your playlist and note the order. Then go to a different playlist, then go back to your original playlist. The order should be different. You must visit something else inbetween. Otherwise Media Server thinks you are still playing the same variation. Make sense?

For the TiVo shuffle option, I tried it and it worked great. Highlight the playlist (not individual picture, the whole playlist) you want to play and click play. Then click enter, and change shuffle to yes.

j

BarryD99

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2003, 03:33:16 pm »

>>For the TiVo shuffle option, I tried it and it worked great. Highlight the playlist (not individual picture, the whole playlist) you want to play and click play. Then click enter, and change shuffle to yes>>

John:

Thanks for hanging in with me.  This works great.  Previously I was going to the individual picture and selecting play slide show.  That doesn't randomize even if shuffle is on.

Barry

jweisler

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2003, 11:04:18 am »

I am having trouble with this as well, but I don't understand this thread where it says to add a "modifier."

I set up a playlist and I would like Tivo to be able to randomize (shuffle) it when playing without me having to change the order in Media Center.  But I don't know how to add any sort of "random" modifier to it.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

Josh

geoelectric

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2003, 02:36:58 pm »

When viewing the Playlist/Smartlist, right-click in the top section that specifies criteria, and choose Add Modifier | Sorting..., then select "Random".

You don't have to do this from within Media Center, though.  If you go to the Tivo Play Options, you can switch the Tivo to play in shuffle mode.  Just hit <Enter> while anything's playing, or use the right-cursor to select any one song within the menus, then select the "Options" selection to the right of the Play command.

The nice thing about doing it on the Playlist/Smartlist instead of switching the Tivo is that some of your playlists can be shuffled while some can be unshuffled.  It's kind of a pain to switch the Tivo back and forth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up