INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple of questions  (Read 2022 times)

seanb724

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
A couple of questions
« on: July 16, 2003, 11:03:42 am »

I'm just testing JRiver out as the default SW with Tivo is quite limited, and have a few questions:

1.  When I start the Media Server, i get a failure that the server can't bind to port 5556.  Everything still seems to work ok, though.

2.  If I add a new playlist, or rip a new CD, I have to reboot my PC (server) to get the Tivo to see it when using Media Server.  Is that normal/expected?

3.  Is there a faster way to scroll through items on the Tivo?  I've got a few hundred CD's riped, and it takes a long time to go 1/2 way through all the artists.  Part of this is the network connection I suppose, but are there any short cuts, such as being able to enter a letter, or a search expression? (like tivo does on the wishlist feature.)

Thanks,
Sean

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: A couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 12:05:20 pm »

I'm just testing JRiver out as the default SW with Tivo is quite limited, and have a few questions:

1.  When I start the Media Server, i get a failure that the server can't bind to port 5556.  Everything still seems to work ok, though.

Port 5556 is what Media Server uses for auto-discovery. Media Center or Media Jukebox will broadcast to that port when you search for media servers, and so this feature won't work.

2.  If I add a new playlist, or rip a new CD, I have to reboot my PC (server) to get the Tivo to see it when using Media Server.  Is that normal/expected?

No, you don't have to, just restart the server. Double click on the media server icon in the task bar, and then File->Stop Sharing followed by File->Start Sharing.

3.  Is there a faster way to scroll through items on the Tivo?  I've got a few hundred CD's riped, and it takes a long time to go 1/2 way through all the artists.  Part of this is the network connection I suppose, but are there any short cuts, such as being able to enter a letter, or a search expression? (like tivo does on the wishlist feature.)

I think the channel button will move entire pages at a time, and the enter/last button will jump to the end.

You can also organize your library in smaller chunks to make it easier.

j

Pages: [1]   Go Up