INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scratching sound at beginning of track  (Read 841 times)

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
Scratching sound at beginning of track
« on: October 05, 2003, 08:30:50 am »

Hi.
In my library, there is one certain track that always has this rather loud scratching/clicking sound at the beginning. The strange thing is, that no such sound appears when using other playback programs, or when I view it in a sound editor. Any idea what this might be, and how I may get rid of it?

Thanks in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Scratching sound at beginning of track
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 10:01:19 am »

Try updating MC.

Try looking for a utility to check the integrity of the file.

jcouch93

• World Citizen
  • I'm confused...
Re:Scratching sound at beginning of track
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 05:23:51 pm »

I've got the same problem.  I have a track that has scratching and popping in MC but NOT in WMP.  I have even opened the file with Media Editor to see what's there and when I play through Media Editor the scratchy pop goes away.  I've tried changing output modes and other settings but no dice.  I've also tried converting (via Media Editor) to WAV and listening to it, but it still has the sounds.

Using AC97 sound on my Gigabyte MB, so I'm trying to find updated drivers for it (although since it plays fine through WMP, I don't think it's the driver).

Media Center Registered 9.1.271 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2376 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 649 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive G: LITE-ON  LTR-24102B         Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Sauzee

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 05:56:36 pm »

Have you got another app to analyse it with other than Media Editor?

Does it still have the same problem?

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2003, 06:04:41 pm »

Hi.
In my library, there is one certain track that always has this rather loud scratching/clicking sound at the beginning. The strange thing is, that no such sound appears when using other playback programs, or when I view it in a sound editor. Any idea what this might be, and how I may get rid of it?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Okvaal,

Back in mid-September I made a similar complaint about MC 9.1.25x builds. Admin JohnT started a thread on the issue, I believe it was called "Pops in Ripped Tracks"(a search should bring up several posts between me, JohnT and JimH on the problem). At the time, I was convinced the problem was with MC 9.1.xxx. Since my original complaint (again, similar to yours) I had to completely redo my computer due to an ugly XP crash. Since reinstalling the OS and all my programs, the problem has disappeared.

Sometimes, if you really want to get rid of an annoying hardware/software problem that you can't find an obvious fix or reason for, you need to bite the bullet and reinstall everything from scratch. A clean install can go a long way toward fixing those nasty computer gremlins you just can't seem to nail down any other way. In my case, I was forced to bite the bullet when XP self destructed.

I know this doesn't help much, but it's just my long winded way of saying I don't think your problem is with MC 9.1.xxx (but, I'm sure you've heard that "song" before . . . I know I have).  Good luck.
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS
Pages: [1]   Go Up