INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WRITING TO CDRW DISKS  (Read 1659 times)

CDUBYA

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
WRITING TO CDRW DISKS
« on: October 16, 2003, 10:10:36 am »

I have not had any luck trying to use the "My Computer tree" in media center to write data files to a formatted, empty, blank CDRW disk. Can anyone help with this problem?  I am using INCD to format the disk. I tried to turn off the Windows XP disk writer in system properties but I couldn't find the check box to uncheck.  This was a suggestion in the help file in case of conflicts between XP disk writer and Media Center.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:WRITING TO CDRW DISKS
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 10:16:00 am »

Just follow the Help file instructions for burning a CD.

INCD may be in control of the drive.  Update or uninstall it.

You don't have to format the disk with INCD and shouldn't.  MC will burn it.

CDUBYA

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 01:46:42 pm »

Are you sure?  I am talking about a CD-RW disk, not a CDR disk.

Marko

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 03:03:22 pm »

Are you sure?  I am talking about a CD-RW disk, not a CDR disk.

absolutely.

Incd formats cdrw's in a special way that allows the incd software to use the cdrw like a huge floppy disk. Using an incd formatted cdrw, you can write and delete individual files to/from the cd, and only a program such as incd can read a cd formatted in this way.

Using a cdrw to make a data cd in MC, the files will be written to the cd and for the most part, the disc will behave like any other cd you create. The disc will be "closed" so that further writing is not possible, neither will you be able to remove single files from this disc. However, as it's a cdrw, you have the option to erase all data from the disc, giving you a blank cdrw which you can then burn files to again.

clearer now?

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 07:49:08 pm »

One thing to note about CDRWs is that you may have more problems playing them in a "normal" CD player than a CD-R.

At least that's been my experience...

Cheers
Rob

CDUBYA

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 08:55:45 am »

Thanks for the helpful info.  Unfortunately, that's exactly what I wanted to do, ie, use it for a big floppy, but out of mediacenter instead of windows explorer.  Now I'll have to rethink whether I still want Media Center or just stay with Media Jukebox.  

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2003, 09:27:37 am »

InCD (as well as DirectCD and Stomp DLA) formats the disk in UDF (packet write). Once this is done, (in MC) simply highlight the files, right click and select Library Tools>Move-Copy disk files. Select your CD drive (with the UDF disk) from the tree and hit the Copy button. Should be as easy as that. Diskwriter setting should have no affect for this operation.

10-27

edit: Last time I used InCD (packaged with Nero 5.5), it would NOT release the drive for other apps. If you've already been doing what I outlined above, and it doesn't work, then InCD is the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up