INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.1.281 available  (Read 5816 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 9.1.281 available
« on: October 17, 2003, 12:51:59 pm »

Please read carefully before downloading.

This is the latest build.  There may be some known (and unknown) bugs.

The latest known stable version of 9.1 is here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter9_1.exe

The latest build of 9.1 is here:  
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter91281.exe

Please let us know of any stability / crash problems as soon as possible -- we want a stable build for the weekend.

History:
1. Fixed: InstallWizard was starting in FileAssociations page
2. Fixed: MC was failing to download update info file.
3. Fixed: OGG encoder plugin wasn't saving user settings when it was updated to a newer version.
4. Fixed: Installer could crash. (hopefully fixed -- please let us know)
5. Fixed: Installing MP3 Encoder plugin could crash.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

PsychShack

• Recent member
  • Mmm, donuts!
Re:Media Center 9.1.281 available
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 03:06:20 pm »

One bug I've been having in all the 9.1 releases is that the main window will often (I don't know what causes it, I haven't been able to figure out anything I do every time) go back to its original size upon program loading, rather than the larger size I always have to resize it to.  While this isn't a horrible problem, it is rather annoying.
David Schachner

Get lost in the Psychotic Shack: http://psychshack.netfirms.com/

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 03:56:53 pm »

One bug I've been having in all the 9.1 releases is that the main window will often (I don't know what causes it, I haven't been able to figure out anything I do every time) go back to its original size upon program loading, rather than the larger size I always have to resize it to.  While this isn't a horrible problem, it is rather annoying.

I've seen this as well.

Sauzee

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 05:16:07 pm »

1  Audio analysis done as part of ripping produces different results than when doing audio analysis of already ripped files.
In particular peak level is always lower when audio analysis done as part of ripping.

2.  Cannot search when in my computer view.

LisaRCT

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 05:39:13 pm »

"Image -->> Quick Find in File / Cover Art Folder"
does NOT find the images even when they are confirmed present, in the proper folder, and accurately named.

equalizer

• Junior Woodchuck
  • When the time comes, you'll know what to do!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 06:44:55 pm »

3. Fixed: OGG encoder plugin wasn't saving user settings when it was updated to a newer version.

Thanks Matt!!

Shadowen

• World Citizen
  • He was but a shadow of his former self...
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2003, 06:46:21 pm »

Two of us are still having an issue with TV tuner scanning, as discussed in this thread...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=9528

--amwoza

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2003, 01:39:00 am »

Media Center is still having a problem when displaying videos to a second monitor.  Videos are not centered correctly on my 2nd display (TV.)  640x480 format.

A black area on the left had side shows up on some videos.
I'm using the TV as a second display monitor, on an ATI All-In-Wonder 9000.
Videos look great and performance within MC is all good.  The videos just need to be centered.

I'm not using overlay, because it limits me on displaying audio visualizations and images. Settings in View/display options/Full Screen - Monitor = Display #2

This has been an on going bug which I feel should be fixed.

See thread
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=9533

Keep up the awsome work!  
-Cindy

technobarbie

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2003, 02:22:09 am »

I'm having problems with the installer.

1. I had MC 9 installed and checked for updates.
2. Checked the version number and still showed 9.0
3. Uninstalled MC9 and installed MC9.1. Had the same problem.
4. Installed MC9. MC 9 showed the setup screen and then  
    disappeared too.

I'm now using Media Jukebox 8. Any advice?

mhwlng

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2003, 02:59:15 am »

out-of-proc automation doesn't work

if I start MC and then my c# application, everything is OK.
if I stop my application, playback stops or MC crashes

it never allows a second connection
mj=new MediaJukebox.MJAutomation(); fails...

Regards,

Marcel Houweling

nameless

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2003, 03:26:08 am »

If I try to change the "Filename (path)" field for a stream, MC forces the addition of a backslash to the end of the string, making the path invalid.

For example, I had a stream set up with the following path:

http://64.236.34.141:80/stream/1011/

The IP address for that stream had changed, so I needed to update the path.  I selected the "Filename (path)" field, hit F2, and changed it to the string below:

http://64.236.34.161:80/stream/1011/

After hitting enter to finalize the change, the string showed as:

http://64.236.34.161:80/stream/1011/\

In addition, with each successive try at editing, an additional backslash is added to the end:

http://64.236.34.161:80/stream/1011/\\
http://64.236.34.161:80/stream/1011/\\\

...etcetera.  Obviously, MC is assuming that all paths are local.  My guess is that this can be corrected by having MC check for paths that start with "http://", then telling it not to postfix those paths with a backslash.

A workaround at this point is to make the change to the "Filename" field instead of the "Filename (path)" field.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2003, 09:14:31 am »

Issues that I still see:

1)  Selecting more than one song with the same image inside it shows "inside file" in the AW rather than showing the actual image (which it used to do.)

2)  Ejecting the iPod with MC open still results in "odd" behavior.  For example, the iPod will show "okay to disconnect" after the computer says "okay to unplug device," but the Windows "Unplug or Eject Hardware" screen still shows the iPod as plugged in."  (This didn't happen before.)

3)  AW still defaults to home rather than allowing us to choose default page, or simply defaulting to last open page.  Not really and "issue, but I posted this in another thread, and the consensus was that most people would prefer the ability to have the AW come up with the "tag info" screen when starting.  Certainly a "last open page" feature would work (and the program actually DID use to work this way), but why not let us choose the default page, including a choice of "home page" which is the current default page?

Larry

LisaRCT

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2003, 10:43:44 am »

'Saving Tag Changes' seems a bit slower,
 . . . could be my imagination   :-\

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2003, 01:27:44 pm »

When you set the action window as a window and always on top, it stays on top of all windows, including other applications.  There should be a state where it stays on top of MC, but not other apps.

The mute icon is wrong.  It shows mute when there's sound.  (This is inconsistent with the way the shuffle and continuous buttons work; they show the current state, not what they would switch to if they were pressed.)

The corners are still round when the windows are maximized, so clicking on the upper right corner of the screen selects and closes the application behind MC.  Perhaps this is a skin issue.

During installation, the MC logo has rough pixels around its edge.

In thumbnail options, Erase All is highlighted as default.  It shouldn't be.  None of the other options windows do it that way.

The tooltips for DSP Studio and Shuffle go off the screen.

drierp

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2003, 01:28:29 pm »

'Saving Tag Changes' seems a bit slower,
 . . . could be my imagination   :-\

I'll second that..  I'm on 279 currently, but I've noticed that just about all media based disk i/o is terribly slow..  Most (~80%) of my files are stored on a seperate file server (win2k server)..  Also..  watching the network activity and cpu/io on the server, Media center is definately taxing the server less now than in previous versions..   I'm not exactly sure what version this may have started in, but Media center 7.x was much much faster (probably limited by the server's speeds/network).. and recent versions (since ~270) seem to be getting slower and slower..

Also..  In trying iTunes out, I've noticed it's "convert ID3 Tag" feature is probably 10x faster when converting to 2.4 from a file that didn't have a 2.x tag already..  This seems to hit the physical disk maximum speeds of the server..  And it also doesn't seem to copy the entire file when sticking an ID2.x header on the beginning..  I have a few hundred mp3s which are in the 100+ mb range, and it's insanely painful to watch MC 9.1.x insert the id2 tag..  

And finally..  a personal gripe from someone who's written multithreaded windows apps for a living..  Anytime MC goes to do I/O, specifically updating tags where a 2.x tag is being created which takes a while, the MC gui locks up..  Come on guys.. the disk I/O shouldn't be done in the main GUI thread..  Fork it off to a worker thread, so the gui can at least have the ability to paint itself..  

my info:
Media Center 9.1.279 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2798 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 691 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: SONY     CD-RW  CRX100E     Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:4  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

dragyn

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2003, 03:26:41 pm »

MC is not importing customized fields.

Also I made a customized field called: File Size x Dimensions
It's a calculated field: [File Size] x [Dimensions]

When it's displayed, it shows something like this: 24KB x CIRCULAR: Dimensions

I think this used to work fine. I don't know what it's doing now. I put as [File Size] x [Width] x [Height] and it works fine. Maybe it can't call other calculated fields?

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2003, 06:31:07 pm »

• New - Date Opened: 2003/10/18   Priority: Low
    Misspelling
    In the CD Auto Insert Check dialog box, the apostrophe in the word "Don't" in the bottom button is transposed with the t.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/09/09   Priority: Low
    Folder Displayed Twice
    In My Computer, if a folder is dragged to a new location it appears two times.
Toast goes in the toaster.

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2003, 07:43:22 pm »

Playing (mpg) videos is awful in 9.1.281.  Very slow response when clicking any changes within MC.  MC also crashed my Window 2000 system several times with this current version.  I did not have a performance problems with prior versions.   You guys went a giant step back in performance in 281.   I'm going back to 9.1.267.

-Cindy  :-[

bthall

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2003, 11:33:39 pm »

When opening this version, if I click on the maximize button in the upper right corner a couple of times, MC9 will not maximize and paint out the screen. About 2/3 of the window gets displayed only.

Bad bug!

(Using XP Home w/ 512RAM)

BarryT

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2003, 02:49:39 am »

I'm using build 279 now: since a few builds from time to time MC crashes, usually (but not always) with an error in JRImage.
When this happens there is no way of playing tracks, even resetting the system and restarting Windows. As soon as I hit play MC crashes again.
The only way I've found to resume operation of MC is changing skin: if I change skin everything works fine... until the next crash.
Thanks for help
Luigi

Media Center Registered 9.1.279 -- C:\Programmi\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows Me
AMD Athlon 805 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 73 MB
Resource Info: System - 46 %, GDI - 53 %, User - 46 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 5.50.4134.100 / wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995 / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive H:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive H: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B    Addr: 2:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
Luigi1943

LisaRCT

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2003, 10:19:24 am »

-Stopping TV viewing crashes MC

-Stopping Audio Convert operation closes Audio convert rather than simply pausing it . . . . . if this is the intended action perhaps a 'pause' button is needed?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2003, 10:22:02 am »

If A MP3 has no Internal coverart but does or does not have external cover art (no matter what)

MC9 always tries to remove internal cover art even if it only has external cover art when you use the remove coverart option.

if MC9 knows the coverart is just a link in the database it should just remove the database link and not mess with the mp3  
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

dragyn

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2003, 11:36:59 am »

I have an mpg file here that has no bitrate. It doesn't have dimensions either. The length (according to MC) is 34.3 years but when I play it, it shows 4mins 36secs.

It's a high quality music video. It's about 80MB.

Only one I have like that. I can't get MC to display the info right.

Also, when I'm in windowed mode and close it, the 'Media Center Display' is locked into the taskbar. Only way to get rid of it is to go to full screen mode, and then back.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2003, 05:53:45 pm »

I'm using build 279 now: since a few builds from time to time MC crashes, usually (but not always) with an error in JRImage.
When this happens there is no way of playing tracks, even resetting the system and restarting Windows. As soon as I hit play MC crashes again.
The only way I've found to resume operation of MC is changing skin: if I change skin everything works fine... until the next crash.

Do a complete uninstall and reinstall.  Perhaps an outdated plugin is calling JRImage or something.

I think this used to work fine. I don't know what it's doing now. I put as [File Size] x [Width] x [Height] and it works fine. Maybe it can't call other calculated fields?

Right -- using other calculated fields could cause circular references so it isn't allowed.

The mute icon is wrong.  It shows mute when there's sound.  (This is inconsistent with the way the shuffle and continuous buttons work; they show the current state, not what they would switch to if they were pressed.)

Whether a button should show what it is or what it does is a tricky call.  The play button is different than the shuffle button for example.  No answers from me, but feel free to start a thread to help us sort it out.

Also..  In trying iTunes out, I've noticed it's "convert ID3 Tag" feature is probably 10x faster when converting to 2.4 from a file that didn't have a 2.x tag already..  This seems to hit the physical disk maximum speeds of the server..  And it also doesn't seem to copy the entire file when sticking an ID2.x header on the beginning..  I have a few hundred mp3s which are in the 100+ mb range, and it's insanely painful to watch MC 9.1.x insert the id2 tag..  

Whether a file needs to be rewritten depends on if the old tag had enough padding.  If you don't mind, run a few tests and start a thread so we can dig a little.

Selecting more than one song with the same image inside it shows "inside file" in the AW rather than showing the actual image (which it used to do.)

It won't ever show the actual image if they're inside the files -- it'd be too resource intensive to pull them all out and analyze to see if they're the same.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nila

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2003, 01:28:47 pm »

Guess I'll call it a bug - it's not technically but it is kind of.

In tagging mode using the panes to tag - it's bringing up a confirmation box asking me to confirm that I want to change the tags on 134.

Since I'm already in tagging mode this seems unnecessary and a bit of a pain in the ass. For normal tag changes - great, love it - when already deliberately in a mode specifically for changing tags it's frustrating and slows down the process.

Any chance of it not prompting when in tagging mode?

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2003, 01:43:45 pm »

BUG: MC still seems to have problems with synchronized files...

Some setup in case it's important:
All machines are running Windows XP SP1.

I have a home "server" machine that holds the original library and .mpc files.  The drive on that machine holding the stuff is D:\ and I have D:\ mapped on all my other machines to the same location.

On this laptop, I also mapped the D:\ drive and then I made one of the subfolders available offline D:\Music\Albums.  I then created a new library on the laptop and duplicated it from the library on the "server".  So, when I'm connected to my home network, I can play anything available in the library since D:\ is mapped, but when I disconnect I still have the D:\Music\Albums directory available so my music goes with me.

This works just fine for playing files, but the following things are broken:
1) MC can't update any of the synchronized files tags even though if I check them, the files are not set READ-ONLY
2) MC crashes if I choose a synchronized file in the media library and select AW->File Properties->File Type Info
3) MC pops up an error dialog "PlaybackEng - the parameter is incorrect." if I browse to My Computer\D:\Music\Albums.  When I click OK, another dialog pops up saying "Gathering information and updating view...".  It never seems to finish if left alone, clicking CANCEL only deactivates the button, but clicking on Playing Now does make it go away.

-John

System Info:
Media Center Registered 9.1.281 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 1593 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 680 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive Z:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive Z: MATSHITA UJDA745 DVD/CDRW   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:1  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
Pages: [1]   Go Up