INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Practices-Download/Preview/Import  (Read 960 times)

bc

• Junior Woodchuck
Best Practices-Download/Preview/Import
« on: October 17, 2003, 01:16:47 pm »

Hi Folks--

I have to say I am very happy with MC 9.1.

I've been using MJ 8 for a couple of years and switched over to MC 9.1 about a month ago. I had tried 9.0 and found it difficult. While I suppose I'm +/- an expert user of MJ8 I'm still on the learning curve with MC 9.1.

I am not an IT guy or power user of multiple software applications like many here seem to be.I use it mostly to manage/play a library now approaching 10,000 tracks.

Playback is through a stereo-link USB device to a decent stereo system. I think I'm getting about the best one could expect from the various sources--mp3's mostly hi-bitrate, ogg's and ape's. The audio is good.

Lately I've been tinkering with video. I expect I will migrate more in that direction taking advantage of what MC 9.1 offers in TV/home theater.

I am curious to learn how others may be using MC to handle the processing of downloads and their integration to the library.

Here's my practice:

1. Download files from source to a download folder in Windows XP.

2. Access download folder from My Computer in MC 9 tree.

3. Files now appear in MC 9 window with brown musical note icon (I presume the brown note vs. blue indicates that the file has not yet been imported to MC library).

4. Select files, right click, and send to playing now.

5. Preview/Play/Edit Tags/Rate Files.

6. Select keeper files, right click, Analyze.

7. Again select keepers, Rename Files From Properties. I have the rules set for my naming convention and the path set to move the files to "MY Music" in Windows XP.

8. Again select keepers, right click and Import to Library.

9. Delete the leftover trash files (not keepers)from the download folder.

This sounds complex. In practice I find it easy especially now with My Computer in the the MC tree.

However there may be shortcuts I'm missing. Would love to hear from power dudes if there's a better way to do the mousetrap.

Sorry this is so long.

bc

dragyn

Re:Best Practices-Download/Preview/Import
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 06:20:50 pm »

I use NewsBin Pro for my newsgroups and download a bunch of stuff.  I then use 'My Computer' also in MC and 'select all' in a directory, import, rename files, move files, etc.

For things I download off the web, I use Download Manager and have it auto-import into MC which does a really good job.

The main part of all of this is my view schemes. I have a lot catagorized into the 3 main data types (Audio, Images, Video). I have an Imported scheme so I can look back either 24hrs or a week and see what I did.

I try to rate my stuff before I forget about it. That way I can always go to the 'Rating' view scheme later and it would be there.

Once I'm satisfied (never happens), I make all the audio copies to my carputer, videos get copied to another computer (that's where all the disk space is), and the images get saved on this computer (some..well most are those kind that you don't want youngins' to see..if you know what I mean..uh huh uh huh). :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up