INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I want MC9 and iTunes on Same Machine...  (Read 1706 times)

bthall

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
I want MC9 and iTunes on Same Machine...
« on: October 18, 2003, 08:52:21 am »

I love my MC9. I'm gonna continue to use it for all my Audio Computer management/needs. I've got it working perfectly with my iPod, and I DON'T want to screw it up!

I want to put iTunes on my computer ONLY to download music.

Can someone lead me explicitly through the correct steps/setting to install the iTunes software without screwing up MC9 and its beautiful  ;D relationship with my iPod.

Thanks!
BarryT

CautionESPN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re:I want MC9 and iTunes on Same Machine...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2003, 09:03:17 am »

I'll second this post.  I *love* MC9 and will continue to use it for all my music needs but i would like it to co-exist with iTunes in order to utilize the iTunes music store.    

Will there ever be native support for AAC within MC9?  

Specifically I'd like to convert my entire library to AAC for the space savings benefits on my iPod but still maintain functionality of Media Server on my tivo with on-the-fly conversion to MP3.

Additionally I'd love to see native support in media center for the  "equalizer presets" (Even if it is just "iPod Equalizer"  I modified a song in iTunes to add this but couldn't find a tag for it inside the file so I'm worried this may not be feasible.

LisaRCT

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2003, 10:49:39 am »

I do not know the answer to your question about installing iTunes with MC9, but:

considering the discussion in this thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=16093
I think I would wait & see before taking the risk or gettin involved with any subscriptions or similar.
Just a thought.  ;)

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 11:36:52 am »

DON'T do it yet. They don't play nice together. Hopefully during the week Steve and the JRiver crew can help out. Check out the last dozen or so posts in the IPOD SUPPORT thread -- especially mine if you want to see what happened to me when I installed iTunes!

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2003, 02:37:25 pm »

I'd like to convert my entire library to AAC for the space savings benefits on my iPod

I would do a listening test on a few files before you consider converting your entire library. Generally, converting from one lossy format (like mp3) to another lossy format (like aac) degrades sound quality.

Rob

sraymond

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2003, 03:29:43 pm »

rwf

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2003, 11:31:44 pm »

Some MC9 users, myself included, have installed iTunes w/o having problems with MC9. There are several steps during the installation that are critical - to keep iTunes from "taking over".

Check out this thread in the MC9 forum over at the ipodlounge - the last post (as of right now) details things to look for & uncheck as you install - http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11634

It's definitely possible to have both apps on a computer - which means you can utilize the store to buy songs. However, the jury's still out in terms of using both with the ipod (as in buying music from the store & using itunes to get it onto the pod - but doing everything else w/MC9 ). I think I read someone say they'd accomplished this ... but this soon after the release there's LOTS of dust still in the air.

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2003, 11:40:49 pm »

I think that there might be some issues with the 3G ipods.  I don't have one, but it sounds like people with them are having more problems than people with the older models.

kiwi

rwf

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2003, 11:51:41 pm »

I think that there might be some issues with the 3G ipods.  I don't have one, but it sounds like people with them are having more problems than people with the older models.

I was wondering if that might be the case - a little curious, but as a 20GB 2G owner it may help me contain my lust for the 40GB  :) - at least for a little while!

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2003, 09:10:17 am »

Just to add my experience so far:

I have a 30g 3G iPod and MC9.1 both working on the same machine.  I've bought ~12 songs from iTunes and have been able to manage those songs via iTunes and the rest thru MC9.

The first time I went to synch from iTunes I got some message that there was another instance of iTunes and it would need to take control of it.  I clicked okay and then it transfered fine.  After that I had to reload everything from MC9 but since I've been okay transferring from both.

Keep in mind, I'm by no means an MC9 'power user' so there could be features I don't use that are no longer working.  But for basic ipod->MC9 & iTunes synching, I'm doing alright.  FYI, I'm at MC9.1.279 currently.

Eugene

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2003, 06:12:43 am »

Well...it was working...

Now when I go into MC and click on my iPod (H:) drive, I get a blank H dialog box.  I click ok and then try again.  It shows properly amount free and used at bottom but no iPod files at all.

Hmm...
Pages: [1]   Go Up