INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC loads and then dissapears  (Read 1992 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
MC loads and then dissapears
« on: September 28, 2003, 11:59:30 pm »

Hi,

I was posting on the minimize and then crashes thread before this but I think my problem is actually different to the one the others on that post were experiencing.

Starting from a complete fresh install of WinXP and only the drivers for my hardware installed, I installed MC. It loaded and played fine.

So I put on some more software (just office, some adobe applications and some macromedia ones). Everything was still ok. Even after restarting the computer, everything was fine.

So I went to bed with my computer still on but when i came back to it, whenever I tried to load MC it stays open for a few secs, and plays something if i try, and then just dissapears.

I've recreated this many times. Uninstalling everything then reinstalling. Everything works ok, for a while. Leave the computer on for a few hours (doing nothing) and then when I come back, MC doesnt work again. I dont have any screensavers or power saving options on.

This problem also affects my other sound software (soundforge or audtion etc). It stops working at the same time.  With that software the splash screen will load then the program dissapears.

I'm guessing its a conflict with something on my machine, but what? Software or drivers? I've tried numerous times to uninstall different drivers to fix the problem and all of the software that loads with windows but always get the same problem. I am working with a fresh install of windows now so my previous experiments wont have affected my basic windows setup.

I guess the problem is at my end because nobody else has it (it was working fine on my machine until i reinstalled windows too). I am using the same drivers and software that I was using before.

Any help appreciated.

On startup my Sony Vaio laptop loads:
drag and drop cd writing software
jog dail utility (for the scroll wheel built into the machine)
ati graphics card tray icon
msn instant messenger (but it is not setup to use)
media scheduler

Here is my system info:
Media Center 9.1.259 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 1193 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 329 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpclient.010817-1148) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2730.1200 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.115 (xpclnt_qfe.021108-2107) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright c 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4080N   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  BurnProof:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC loads and then dissapears
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 05:09:56 am »

It sounds like a memory problem somewhere.  Updating your sound card drivers would be the first place to start.

I notice also that you're using "drag and drop" CD software.  That can cause problems.  Try uninstalling it if you can.

park

• MC Beta Team
I Re: MC loads and then dissapears
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 08:32:44 am »

I uninstalled all my sound software, media center and drag and drop, then changed my audio driver to the most updated version I could find and reinstalled media center. No luck. Media center worked for a while. (I used an empty library and just played a couple of files) but then, after an hour or so, dissapeared from the screen a few seconds after I loaded it.

I think you're right about it being a memory thing. Very occasionally when I exit Premiere i get this message:

The Instruction at "0x0f754dfe" referenced memory at "0x101606c3". The memory could not be "read".
Click OK to terminate the program

But I have no problems using premiere, only using sound only programs.
(windows media player also works fine)

I also ran the windows system information tool and copied this from the conflicts/sharing view:

System Information report written at: 30/09/2003 00:12:35
System Name: SONY
[Conflicts/Sharing]

Resource      Device      
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7      PCI bus      
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7      Direct memory access controller      

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF      Intel(R) 82830 Processor to AGP Controller      
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF      Mobility Radeon       

Memory Address 0xD8000000-0xDFFFFFFF      Intel(R) 82830 Processor to AGP Controller      
Memory Address 0xD8000000-0xDFFFFFFF      Mobility Radeon       

I/O Port 0x00003000-0x00003FFF      Intel(R) 82830 Processor to AGP Controller      
I/O Port 0x00003000-0x00003FFF      Mobility Radeon       

IRQ 9      Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System      
IRQ 9      Mobility Radeon       
IRQ 9      Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller      
IRQ 9      Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller      
IRQ 9      Ricoh R/RL/5C476(II) or Compatible CardBus Controller      
IRQ 9      MELCO INC. USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller      
IRQ 9      NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller      
IRQ 9      NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller      
IRQ 9      Ricoh R/RL/5C476(II) or Compatible CardBus Controller      
IRQ 9      Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection      
IRQ 9      SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio      

Memory Address 0xD0100000-0xD01FFFFF      Intel(R) 82830 Processor to AGP Controller      
Memory Address 0xD0100000-0xD01FFFFF      Mobility Radeon       

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF      PCI bus      
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF      Intel(R) 82830 Processor to AGP Controller      
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF      Mobility Radeon       

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB      Intel(R) 82830 Processor to AGP Controller      
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB      Mobility Radeon       

Is this normal? Is the problem with my graphics card drivers do you think? I installed the driver that came with the system.

? I'm confused.

park

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC loads and then dissapears
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2003, 09:55:37 am »

I'm still having no luck,
I have just formatted and reinstalled again. This time I installed windows xp pro (letting windows set up my hardware), then installed service pack 1, then changed/installed only the devices which had questions marks (my graphics card and my modem and my keyboard). I installed MC as my first piece of software and it dissapeared off screen as soon as i did so.

I used the bundled drivers that came with my pc, and also tried an updated version of the graphics card driver (ati radeon mobility) that i found from the web.

What do i conclude? It cant be a software conflict because it was the only piece of software on my machine.

is it one of my device drivers? What device would cause my sound software to crash without an error message (or with error message if i minimize)

I have the following in my laptop:
internal 56kb modem (which i have disabled)
ati radeon mobility graphics card
adi soundmax ac97 soundcard
pcmcia slot (using ricoh r/rl/5cf476 cardbus controller driver)
3 usb1 ports
usb1 mouse
15 inch screen
cd writer/dvd rom combo drive (hl-dt-st rw/dvd gcc-4080n)
ieee 1394 firewire port (texas instruments driver)
lan port (using intel pro/100 ve network controller driver)

I realise that this is more a problem with my pc than the mc software and that your support is a privilige and I appreciate all help so far.

park

• MC Beta Team
Re:MC loads and then dissapears
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 11:23:29 am »

Update on my situation.

Reinstalled my machine again, this time using the blanket install recovery disc bundled with the vaio.

installed media player as the first program. and it crashed when i minimized, and dissapeared after a few seconds of loading if i left it on screen.

reinstalled my machine for the last time, using the drivers for just the componants that winxp didnt automatically install. installed a bunch of various software and then media center. worked for a while, then dissapeared after my computer had been on for a while (albeit doing nothing). power options all set to off or never.

have installed service pack 1 and directx 9 to no avail.

kind of resigned to this behaviour now and reinstall the program almost daily to make it work again. (reinstalling directly over the top of the program doesnt work but uninstalling with the 'remove registry files', and 'remove library files' boxes unticked works ok)

had mc working for months with my last installation of winxp using the same drivers and software. very strange that this is happening now, but dont know what to do, or even look for, to fix this problem.

as always, any advice welcome.

:)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 11:27:05 am »

if you reinstall windows overtop of windows without formating "you may" have the same problems as you did.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 11:47:32 am »

I always formatted c: and the vaio recovery disc automatically formats c: before doing anything else

hanumani

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 03:42:05 am »

I have the same problem the program just bails and shuts down after 10-15 seconds  running
Newest ver of Media Juke (media center has same problem).

What is this?

Marko

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2003, 08:48:25 am »

MC does all it's GUI rendering itself now. I wonder if your display drivers are having a hard time dealing with this?

hanumani

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2003, 09:24:31 am »

I douby it. I got a brand new box, NVIDIA and all the drivers...

It loads up fine and you can do whatever you want for about 30 seconds and then it just closes

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2003, 09:27:41 am »

Was a crack installed?

hanumani

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2003, 09:41:30 am »

Nope, I just downloaded the 30 day trial.

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2003, 10:40:49 am »

It's starting to sound viral, then. This is a classic lo-grade virus behaviour. And re-installing OS will have no effect if virus is in memory, or worse, it's attached to the OS exe.

WP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2003, 10:46:13 am »

Can you go to MC/MJ help and copy your system info and then paste it here?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2003, 06:53:42 pm »

if you hold CTRL - ALT And Delete

Make Sure "Media Jukebox.exe" Is Not Running Already, If It Is Kill it

Mine Is Currently Running At 149 Megs

(Just In Case)

I can get media Center to run at about 50% cpu useage sometimes, and loading another will show splash screen and vanish.

this is due to Media Center Checks On Load To Make Sure Only One Event Is Running If One Is Already Running It Terminates The Second.

may not be your problem however.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2003, 12:59:05 am »

I'm still having the same problems with MC crashing, and periodically uninstalling (with "delete all registry files" and "delete library files" unchecked) and then reinstalling, has been the only way around it.

However I found another way recently. Has been working fine for over a week. If I put MC in my start folder so that it loads with windows, and then don't ever close it (just minimize it to the system tray) then it stays working. After loading windows, the first time i minimize mc it crashes, but it'll load and stay loaded and working fine for the rest of the time that the computer is on.

The problem is when I close MC and leave my computer on for a while. After that, if I try to load MC it dissapears after a few secs and requires the aforementioned reinstall.

The virus thing sounds interesting though. I had MC working for months, perfectly, until a virus totally destroyed my machine one night. I couldnt even get into windows and so formatted and reinstalled everything and that's when the MC problems started. I didn't think it would be a drivers issue cos I'm using exactly the same drivers that I was using before. If the virus is attched to memory, how do i get rid of it?

JimH

• Administrator
Pages: [1]   Go Up