INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-numbering of albums in MC9  (Read 1578 times)

Dave T

• World Citizen
Auto-numbering of albums in MC9
« on: October 19, 2003, 02:32:26 pm »

I'm not sure where to ask this, please let me know if this is the wrong place...

I'm looking for a way to "number" each album in the MC9 database.  This is so that I can set up a wall-mounted keypad that I can use to enter in a number of an album, and have MC9 start playing it.  I would keep a printout of all the albums and their numbers next to each keypad in my house.  This is pretty much what forum member Mastiff is doing.

I can handle getting the number from the keypad, and asking MC9 to play it.  I want to know if there is some way to get MC9 to associate numbers with albums.  Ideally, the numbers would be assigned by file date, or date imported, so that new rips/imports won't skew the numbers of existing albums.  I guess the way it would work is that MC9 would associate the number for an album as a custom tag for each of the songs in the album, and I would ask MC9 via COM to play all songs with that tag.

I can think of ways I can do this "from scratch", by writing code, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel.  Can I have MC9 create/assign the tags for me?  If not, can I at least have it give me a list of all albums and their songs, ordered by rip date, and can I then set custom tags from code?  Can I tell MC9 via COM to play all songs with a specified custom tag?

I realize this question is a bit obscure (sorry!).  I'd appreciate any guidance anyone could give me.

Thanks!

- Dave

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re:Auto-numbering of albums in MC9
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 02:01:28 am »

I too would be very interested in this, preferably if it can be used with the stuff I allready have. I started on 1 and I go up to 2600, or something, so far, so it has to be able to do a four digit number. There may be a problem in that if you want album number 10, you may end up with that plus all number ten tracks in the library. So the best would be if we could have play lists created on basis on this as well (create full CD play lists of all albums, based on their for instance cover). Up to now I have done this manually, and it really is a lot of work, probably unnecessary work if this is possible to do with smartlists or in another way.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Dave T

• World Citizen
Re:Auto-numbering of albums in MC9
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 02:39:42 pm »

Yes!  I'm actually thinking that it doesn't have any playlists, per se.  It would just use the "album number" tag of each song in an album.

So, again - I can think of ways I could do this totally from scratch.  I just don't want to reinvent the wheel.  Is there anything built in to MC9 that would automate some of this?

- Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up