INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Copy and Paste" actually moves files rather than copying them.  (Read 3037 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
"Copy and Paste" actually moves files rather than copying them.
« on: October 20, 2003, 10:24:47 pm »

"Copy and Paste" from within MC actually moves, not copies, files.  I've noticed this for numerous builds.  Is there a way of getting Copy and Paste to leave the original file in place and simply make a copy of the file in the new location?  If so, what do we use to "Cut and Paste" at that point?

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re:"Copy and Paste" actually moves files rather than copying them.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 03:08:49 pm »

Isn't there any way to actually "copy" and paste from within MC.  I'm forced to use Windows Explorer at the moment, but I'd rather stay in MC to manage mp3's since it tracks changes.  The "Copy/Paste" process in MC does NOT copy files, it cuts them (i.e. it's a MOVE function, not a copy function.)

Thanks,

Larry

Omni

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 03:49:31 pm »

Well, if it's actuallly called "copy and paste" (or if you are doing the standard Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V thing), then it sounds like a bug to me.  You should report it.  :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 04:06:27 pm »

"Copy" really just means "Clipboard" in MC because the destination alters what should happen.

For example, in "Media Library" a paste will move a file to a new artist. (or whatever)  In a Playlist, a paste will make a copy.

What is the source and destination you're using, and what are you expecting MC to do?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Omni

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 05:09:10 pm »

"Copy" really just means "Clipboard" in MC because the destination alters what should happen.
Okay, that makes sense.   8)

Larry, a hereby retract my suggestion to report this as a bug.  ;D

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 08:18:53 pm »

"What is the source and destination you're using, and what are you expecting MC to do?

I guess I just expect "copy/paste" to work as it does in every other program -- i.e. "copy/paste" does NOT mean "cut/paste" like it does in MC.

I want to be able to duplicate an mp3 from one location to another -- not "move," but "duplicate" (which is what "copy/paste" actually means.)  Since MC tracks all the changes that are made through it, I'd rather use MC's "My computer" tree for all my mp3 management rather than Windows Explorer (which I currently am forced to use.)  When I "copy" an mp3 and then "paste" it to another location in MC, however, it deletes the original.  The standard name for this action in any other app is either "cut/paste" or "move."  "Copy/Paste" NEVER deletes the original in any other app.  Not only is MC's behavior completely inconsitant with standard terminology, it leaves me asking "how do I actually COPY a file from within MC rather than moving it?"

I'm not sure this classifies as a "bug" per se, but it most certainly goes against the standard definitions of these funcitons.  Why not use standard terminology and have "Copy," "Cut," and "Paste" as options rather than playing around with different definitions depending on the specific task at hand?  This would eliminate the confusion as well as offering more robust capabilities, and I seriously doubt it would be all that difficult to implement.

Thanks for any further assistance with this,

Larry

LisaRCT

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 09:03:44 pm »

I simply use MC's copy/move file option   ;)

Right-click -->> Lirary Tools -->> Move/Copy Disk File

It will ask you to point to the location where you wish to send the file(s), and whether you wish to COPY or just MOVE the file(s).

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 09:32:16 pm »

Thanks -- that should solve the question of how to copy.  It would still be much more logical, however, if the copy/paste function followed the standard definitions, and if MC gave us copy, cut, and paste in the menus instead of just copy and paste.

Thanks again,

Larry

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2003, 10:51:31 am »

Any way to do this for *folders* in the My Computer view?

LisaRCT

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2003, 12:11:06 pm »

I know you can drag a folder from one branch to another or even a different drive in teh Tree View.  BUT, I have not used this method and cannot spak for how MC will actually handle the files within those folders and their tags.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2003, 05:49:35 pm »

You can drag one folder at a time. You can't select more than one folder at a time.

MC will update the library if the music files are in the top level of the folder being moved - however, it will not update the library for files that are more deeply nested.

Something like the Move/Copy interface would be perfect if it could be applied to folders, esp more than one folder at a time.

LisaRCT

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2003, 07:11:23 pm »

I understand what you are saying, and that may be easier that what I do now to achieve the same . . .
I can find any group of files I like in the File Display under the panes, then use move/copy file(s). Aalternately I can use the 'Rename files from properties' and control the target directory spec's in the file naming options there.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2003, 07:21:23 pm »

Does anybody know WHY the regular right click "copy/paste" feature don't follow the Windows standards?  I can't figure out why the extremely common and excepted standard of copy, CUT, and Paste isn't used when manipulating fields in the "My Computer" tree from within MC.

I'm just curious what the reasoning is behind this since it doesn't seem at all logical to me, and can therefore easily lead to mistakes.

Larry

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2003, 11:13:42 pm »

I understand what you are saying, and that may be easier that what I do now to achieve the same . . .
I can find any group of files I like in the File Display under the panes, then use move/copy file(s). Aalternately I can use the 'Rename files from properties' and control the target directory spec's in the file naming options there.

The challenge is when I'm doing things like moving a multi-disc compilation, which is kept in a single folder, with each of the individual discs in their own folder. There is no property that maps onto the name of the overall containing folder. I could type it in as a literal, but that introduces the possiblity of error.

Ideally, I want something like the Move/Copy dialogue that will move copy/folders - not just files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up