INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.1.283 available  (Read 4149 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 9.1.283 available
« on: October 20, 2003, 05:01:13 pm »

Please read carefully before downloading.

This is the latest build.  There may be some known (and unknown) bugs.

The latest known stable version of 9.1 is here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter9_1.exe

The latest build of 9.1 is here:  
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter91283.exe

Please report if you still experience installer crashes.  We believe the problem has been fixed but would like confirmation.

9.1.283 History
1. Fixed: Installer crash hopefully fixed. (please let us know)

9.1.282 History
1. Fixed: During import, MC would ask plugins about calculated fields -- possibly causing rare crashes.
2. Changed: Panes no longer update when starting playback, switching tracks, or returning from fullscreen. (improves performance)
3. Changed: Search control runs search on [Enter].
4. Changed: Search control "Help..." menu command links to relevant help topic.
5. Changed: Auto-search delay adapts based on the size / speed of the library.
6. NEW: Added option to disable auto-thumbnail cleanup on exit. (Options->Tree & View->Thumbnails)
7. Fixed: Options->Startup Page was labeled "Plus Feature".
8. Fixed: Changing "Filename (path)" for a URL would add an unneeded backslash to the filename.
9. Fixed: Typo in "Auto Insert" dialog.
10. NEW: Added support for m4a (iTunes AAC) files.
11. Fixed: Display area would not repaint correctly if media type was switched from QuickTime video to QuickTime audio.
12. Changed: Thumbnail system optimized -- making thumbnail views much faster.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
Re:Media Center 9.1.283 available
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 05:10:50 pm »

Still crashing on installer. Build .282 is the first time this happened to me, and it continues with .283.

Windows XP SP1, as before.

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 05:23:50 pm »

Hi Matt,

I am not bothering with .283 as i have had no installer crash's with .282.

Just wanted to say WOW.  The new searching fixes are great.

Graham

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 05:36:32 pm »

I, for one, am having no problems. And now iTunes and MC 9.1 are playing nice.

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 05:38:47 pm »

OMG!!

AAC support--that's HUGE!!

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 05:41:45 pm »

Still crashing on installer. Build .282 is the first time this happened to me, and it continues with .283.

Please hang with us on this one, and thanks for testing.

Since we can't make it happen in-house, we're sort of in a trial-and-error mode.  Thanks again for helping.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2003, 05:51:23 pm »

No problem. .280 works fine for  me, but I'm looking forward to those enhancements in search!

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2003, 06:01:55 pm »

BUG: MC still has problems with synchronized files...

Some setup in case it's important:
All machines are running Windows XP SP1.

I have a home "server" machine that holds the original library and .mpc files.  The drive on that machine holding the stuff is D:\ and I have D:\ mapped on all my other machines to the same location.

On this laptop, I also mapped the D:\ drive and then I made one of the subfolders available offline D:\Music\Albums.  I then created a new library on the laptop and duplicated it from the library on the "server".  So, when I'm connected to my home network, I can play anything available in the library since D:\ is mapped, but when I disconnect I still have the D:\Music\Albums directory available so my music goes with me.

This works just fine for playing files, but the following things are broken:
1) MC can't update any of the synchronized files tags even though if I check them, the files are not set READ-ONLY
2) MC crashes if I choose a synchronized file in the media library and select AW->File Properties->File Type Info
3) MC pops up an error dialog "PlaybackEng - the parameter is incorrect." if I browse to My Computer\D:\Music\Albums.  When I click OK, another dialog pops up saying "Gathering information and updating view...".  It never seems to finish if left alone, clicking CANCEL only deactivates the button, but clicking on Playing Now does make it go away.

-John

System Info:
Media Center Registered 9.1.283 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 1593 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 618 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive Z:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive Z: MATSHITA UJDA745 DVD/CDRW   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:1  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2003, 06:02:24 pm »

That's really annoying. Just completed downloading 282, it crashes (no crashes on previous versions) and i read here that a new version that supposedly doesnt crash has come out when i come to post my complaint!

ah well, as long as you guys stay two steps ahead of complaints, we cant blame you for lack of effort... keep it up!
Welcome to flipmode

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2003, 06:09:38 pm »

Minor Installer Issues:
These have been around forever, but since we're on the installer issue...

The Create Shortcuts page tab order is a little wierd!

5 [ ] Create Start Menu Shortcuts
3 [ ] Create a desktop Shortcut
4 [ ] Create a Quick Launch Shortcut

1 [ Next -> ]             2  [Cancel]

I would have expected:

3 [ ] Create Start Menu Shortcuts
4 [ ] Create a desktop Shortcut
5 [ ] Create a Quick Launch Shortcut

1 [ Next -> ]             2  [Cancel]

NOTE: These comments are based on my expected tab ordering:

Once you've tabbed to 3, pressing the down arrow does nothing, but up goes back to 5 as expected.  If you tab to 4, up does nothing, but down goes to 5, then 3, as expected.  Seems like there's a wall between 3 and 4.

Tiny Request:
If I select custom for the install type, could all checkboxes on this page default to unchecked please.  ;D

-John

markp99

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2003, 06:39:14 pm »

...thanks for ".m4p" AAC extension support in file associations!!

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2003, 06:45:16 pm »

9.1.283 History
1. Fixed: Installer crash hopefully fixed. (please let us know)

9.1.283 still crashes on install as 9.1.282 did.

Windows XP Home, SP1
A day without laughing is a day without living

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2003, 07:26:01 pm »

I have one song from the iTunes store, and MC was thinking it was a video file. I had to reassign it to make it an audio file.

Thanks

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

LonWar

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2003, 07:26:36 pm »

Mime isn't crashing... However..

With the Nomad 3 plugin it is Retrieving file info everytime you put anything in the search bar, This was fixed with a updated plug in and it worked fine, Now it doesn't.

Maybe something that was changed is also effecting this?
-

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2003, 07:42:13 pm »

I'm having DVD playback control problems.  Using the position slider at the top doesn't work properly.  I select 50 minutes and it jumps back to 34, I select 57, it jumps back to 37.

Others seem to also be having this problem.  Here's a thread for discussion:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=16178

leisurama

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2003, 07:58:55 pm »

I'm still having the installer crash problem.

parannoya

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2003, 08:17:33 pm »

1) No problems installing.

2) imported my iTunes files.  imported fine but artist and album descriptions are blank.  (they show up in iTunes.

3) when I play track, the view switches to the full screen black window.  i just want it to stay in the jukebox.

4) attempted to transfer an iTunes track to iPod by drag and drop.  It shows up in the que file and goes through the motion when I hit transfer but doesn't show up on the iPod either in the MC9 iPod window or on the iPod itself.

thats all.

SlappyM

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2003, 08:54:55 pm »

Can't tell you how happy I am to see AAC support ;D... but there's a few holes in (it appears  ?).  As mentioned above, you have to reasign the files to Audio in the file info area (shows up as Video to start).  Also, import media doesn't find the AAC files, it does work if you right click and select Import File, however.  One trouble I was having had a straight forward (and obvious) fix, so if anyones else's smartlist for their MP3 player wasn't finding the AAC files, you have to edit the smartlist to now include M4P files.  My iPod's at work so I haven't tried a sync yet.

Man that was fast adding the ACC support... Great work guys and thanks!!!

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2003, 09:25:37 pm »

I have one song from the iTunes store, and MC was thinking it was a video file. I had to reassign it to make it an audio file.

How do you reassign?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2003, 10:12:12 pm »

I changed "video" to "audio" in the "file type" field of the tag info screen on an AAC file, but it still doesn't play.  It shows a little "playing" icon next to the file, but I don't hear anything and the timeline indicator on the play bar doesn't move.  What am I missing here.  Is there something else I need to do to get AAC files to play?

The file is an m4a file (not an m4p) so the renaming trick doesn't apply here.

Thanks,

Larry

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2003, 10:25:02 pm »

I ripped some AAC files in itunes, imported them, fixed the Media Type, they play fine...but...

If I have one playing and I navigate around in MC9 (switching views, navigating through artists etc), the music cuts out for a fraction of a second on the AAC file I'm playing as I click around.

This doesn't happen w/mp3s.

Adam

equalizer

• Junior Woodchuck
  • When the time comes, you'll know what to do!
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2003, 10:47:13 pm »

DFX plugin makes MC crash out when turned on in the DSP window.

Media Center Registered 9.1.283 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

AMD Athlon 1798 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 272 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: LITE-ON  COMBO LTC-48161H   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No

chaznet

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2003, 11:00:17 pm »

iTunes files played the first time for me, but now each time I try one, I receive the 'please select file' alert box.

Omni

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2003, 11:31:19 pm »

DFX plugin makes MC crash out when turned on in the DSP window.

It doesn't crash for me.  ?  Maybe you should try uninstalling DFX and then reinstalling.  With this installation crash going on (not for me, BTW), maybe the installer hosed your plug-in. <shrug>

rocketsauce

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2003, 01:54:07 am »

10. NEW: Added support for m4a (iTunes AAC) files.

Will this be for playback only or will there also be support for encoding?

Rob

Jonas

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2003, 02:30:06 am »

An old bug:

About five seconds before a song is about to end, the status display jumps to the next song in the list and the time jumps to minus 0.05.

If this is difficult to fix due to the internal structure of MC I don't really mind if it's left the way it is.  A more annoying problem is that if this is the last song in Playing Now, and I double-click another song (using Add to Playing Now / play next) while the last 5 seconds are being played, then the song is added to Playing Now but MC forgets it should play the song.

If I add it earlier, the song will be played.  If I add it after the previous song has actually ended, the song will be played ("start playing when files added to playing now" is set).  But every time I happen to add the song within those five seconds, just when the last song is about to end, MC forgets to play it.

Jonas

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2003, 02:41:22 am »

Should have written this in my previous message but I forgot.

Media Center seems much faster and more responsive than it did a couple of months ago.    The only performance problem I have apparently has to do with checking whether files actually exist on disk.

I'm running Media Center at 1600x1200, so I can typically see about 40-60 songs on screen at the same time (depending on the size of the panes).  When I scroll to a new page, it takes a lot of time to display the new songs.  Measurements show it takes at least  two seconds to show a new page -- which doesn't sound like much but it's an eternity compared to scrolling up and down in this web browser.  You can see the display being filled in from the top to the bottom.  And then when I page up again, response is basically instantaneous because MC has already checked whether the files exist or not.

This effect is much worse when I sort by name or something like that, or when I display a playlist rather than the whole library.  This is probably because each file tends to be in a different directory from the previous ones.  When I sort by artist/album it's faster.

Any chance of having MC check file existence in a background thread instead?  I don't mind if a file appears to exist for a couple of seconds before its icon is updated.

I'm seriously considering connecting to the Media Server running on this computer instead of using the library directly, simply because it's so much faster to navigate through the library...

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2003, 03:13:53 am »

An old bug:

About five seconds before a song is about to end, the status display jumps to the next song in the list and the time jumps to minus 0.05.

This isn't a bug -- it's by design.  I agree, however, that it's a little odd, and would prefer it if the count "up" continued to the end.  With all the room on the play bar, it seems like it would be much better to keep the count up running, but show a countdown at the same time.  Or, perhaps instead of having the display suddenely CHANGE in the last 5 seconds, the "-0:05" could simply be ADDED to the display at this point.  It seems to me that this would be the best of both worlds.

Larry

vph

• Recent member
  • Say no more! Say no more!
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2003, 04:32:35 am »

I installed with no issues.  However, when I upgraded my iPod to v2.1 so I can actually play the AAC files that I downloaded from iTunes, MC threw up an error box with only the following info:  "h:", then MC blew up.  Tried several combinations of things - MC exploded every time.  

I then tried to go back and install a stable version of MC but couldn't even get it to launch.  Had to uninstall MC then reinstall.  Still had problems.  Then had to reformat the iPod using the old 2.0.1 system software.  

Yes, I'm slow on the uptake and didn't think about the problem being iPod 2.1 until it was too late.

I'm now back to square one (old stuff loaded, reformated, and sync'd up), but don't know what to do about the iPod.  Anybody else having problems sync'ing MC with iPod v2.1?

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2003, 06:48:11 am »

283 crashes with me too.

But... then I tried 282 and that one went just fine.

Thanks for the search-quickymization!  ;)
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2003, 08:32:35 am »

I tried installing .282 and it crashed.  I checked the boards and read the plugin related thread that mentioned one of the plugins, playing now, might be causing the problem.  I uninstalled the plugin, then re-ran the install and it installed fine.  So, maybe the people having problems with the install have this (or another problem-causing plugin installed.  I haven't tried .283, but I'm sure it'll go OK now that I've uninstalled the plugin.

Wobbley

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2003, 09:12:02 am »

no problems on install...and i have the playing now plugin installed preiously too.....

running on w2k Pro

another thing to note..is the reduced speed of the panes displaying the library compared to 2.1.165

My computer manipulations are also slower ...with the updating database dialog staying there for at least twice as long.

otherwise...it seems snappy...shifitng form library to playing now and thumbnail display seems faster.

i was using the night life mega-me skin previously compared to the new Blue Steel skin ( which is pretty but 4 X larger than night life)..dont think the skin is slowing things down though.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2003, 10:00:12 am »

When Moving And Renaming Media Files MC9 showed Two Comferm Boxes For Two Files

Here Is A Picture

www.spartasoft.com/pub/1.jpg
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jonas

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2003, 10:03:52 am »

This isn't a bug -- it's by design.

Strange design, but OK...  As long as the main problem isn't forgotten (what I wrote about MC "forgetting" to play the song I added within that 5 second interval).

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2003, 10:38:29 am »

first .282 installer crashed> then .283 installer crashed> then .282 installer didn't crash

?
Welcome to flipmode

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2003, 10:53:50 am »

first .282 installer crashed> then .283 installer crashed> then .282 installer didn't crash

?
We now think we've found the problem and it appears to be a bug in MFC.  

equalizer

• Junior Woodchuck
  • When the time comes, you'll know what to do!
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2003, 11:04:08 am »

I found another bug, although it's only a visual bug.

in the file view pane below the panes just below the search box, this also happens in playing now. If you scroll horizontally.

http://djeqliz.tripod.com/filenamebug.JPG

EDIT: Copy/Paste above link into address bar.

dragyn

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2003, 11:12:11 am »

right-click play doesn't work when a file is already playing. Add to Playing now works.

this used to only happen in panes but now it's doing it in panes and the list view.

no plugins are loaded. playing mp3 files.

Sound Card: SBLive! 5.12.2.252  Is this the lastest? I thought I just downloaded the drivers recently.

Media Center Registered 9.1.282 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

AMD Athlon 808 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 196 MB, Free - 33 MB

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: TEAC     CD-W54E            Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:4  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
Pages: [1]   Go Up