INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matt ... enumerating DB field names  (Read 3810 times)

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
Matt ... enumerating DB field names
« on: October 21, 2003, 09:01:07 am »

Can you add this ... or should I rephrase that to ... will you ... since I know you can :D

mi5

• Recent member
Re:Matt ... enumerating DB field names
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2003, 11:52:05 am »

Can you add this ... or should I rephrase that to ... will you ... since I know you can :D

I'll second that request.

nila

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 06:42:34 am »

if you mean the ability to get all the MC fieldnames from within a plugin then PLEASE PLEASE add this.

I think the SDK is the next thing that needs to be worked on for MC rather than new features so we can build the plugin's side by side while ur working on MC still in future!

scott_r

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 03:44:11 am »

Register 800 votes under my name for this function :)

Scott.

DJ_Hazelwood

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 04:30:29 am »

Would be very useful for me too.

sraymond

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 09:47:47 am »

Oh, yeah...  this functionality will greatly help us users once these great plugin writers implement it...  which, by current standards, will take about five minutes!

Scott-

nila

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 09:57:19 am »

Please also give us a function to create fields too from within a plugin so we can save settings per song in the db without just having to tell the users to go create field 'blah' and then come back.

Could we also have a way to test for the existence of a field with a yes no return? as far as I know - if we do a MCFile.get("anyFieldName") - it just returns "" if the field name doesn't exist with no way to check if it's there or not.

Pretty Please?

The plugin SDK could use a little bit of time now - MC 9.1 seems rock solid.

Pretty please with a big old cherry on top? :)

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 11:28:36 am »

Nila,

I think most of us would be just happy to get reading the DB column names ... asking for more may put J River off actually implementing anything.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 11:45:10 am »

Could we also have a way to test for the existence of a field with a yes no return? as far as I know - if we do a MCFile.get("anyFieldName") - it just returns "" if the field name doesn't exist with no way to check if it's there or not.

yes with  more options.

When MC9 came out I was hoping for a bit more for The MC9 SDK than what was done, Not sure if they are done with or not, maybe the project JimH was saying they were working on kind of cut down on the SDK support or not.

for some there are workarounds but for others there is just no way to do it.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

nila

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 12:32:54 pm »

Sorry :)

Just since I started making plugins I've realised there a few small areas that if added could add a lot of power to us to develop with.

But yeah - that's DEFINITELY the most needed feature (with creating our own fields a close second).

Guess I could even build my own function to test for the existence of fields if that feature was added.

Now all I gotta do is work out how to get my installers to work and i'd be set!! wahey!! lol.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2003, 01:29:27 pm »

Now all I gotta do is work out how to get my installers to work and i'd be set!! wahey!! lol.

why don't you explain what your doing etc.. in another thread maybe someone can help.

what your doing, using, samples etc....
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Nikolay

• Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2003, 01:56:56 pm »

Everybody,

Unfortunately, we don't have time to implement it right now. Maybe later. Keep reminding us.

Nikolay

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2003, 02:42:00 pm »

I'm dissapointed to hear that Nikolay.

I would have thought that it would have been worthwhile to spend an hour of yours/Matt's time to implement it so that we plugin developers can provide more added value to MC.   As it stands having to get our users to type in DB column names (if they can even remember them/spell them right) is not a good user experience.

It needn't have been anything fancy too ... even if it returned a tab delimited string that we have to parse it would have been better than not having anything at all.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2003, 02:46:29 pm »

Sorry, Rhino, but it's more than an hour and we have a long list of "priority" items.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2003, 03:00:49 pm »

Hi Jim,

It can't be much more as you populate submenu's with the information all over the place in MC.

I understand that you have higher priority items but remember that we users are investing a lot of time in promoting/extending MC and it would be nice to feel that we're not wasting our time in trying to utilize something that is effectively unsupported/dead.

nila

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2003, 02:47:09 am »

It would DEFINITELY be a LOT of help Jim if it could be squeezed in at all. I'm sure both the plugin makers and the plugin users would REALLY be VERY grateful if you could manage.

Considering how fast Matt made the whole app able to change colours, I'm sure he could squeeze this one in fairly fast and it would DEFINITELY give us developers a chance to make plugin's side by side with your development and that is after all what made Winamp take off so much - it's plugins and user contributions more than the actual app.

If you could at least consider it we'd be VERY appreciative.

Thanks

sraymond

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2003, 01:19:22 am »

I understand that you have higher priority items but remember that we users are investing a lot of time in promoting/extending MC and it would be nice to feel that we're not wasting our time in trying to utilize something that is effectively unsupported/dead.

Well said.  The "users" that are plug-in programmers add quite a bit to the Media Center experience.  Rhino, in particular, has performed an *incredible* service to us mere mortals with PlayingNow.  It'd be great to untie his hands so he can continue.

Scott-

scott_r

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2003, 10:36:28 pm »

In case anyone missed it (I almost did) the SDK has been updated in build 300 to include  GetFields() and GetZones() functions.

w00t!!!

Scott.

Foxus

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2003, 08:16:16 am »

Probably a daft question,  but where is this new SDK ? I`ve got the one from the DevZone, but it doe`nt appear to have the Getfields() getzones() function.  And can`t find anything within the JRiver Folders supplied with media center itself.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2003, 08:33:03 am »

I can't see it in my .302 .TLB file which is dated 15th September ... post a msg in the 9.1.302 thread telling them that it looks like they forgot to include the latest one in the setup package.

nila

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2003, 03:34:25 am »

I'd imagine that getallfields is used on MJFileAutomation - anyone tried just using it on fileautomation object - I'd presume it returns an array then just doing a basic test to see if it works anyway even though it's not mentioned?
Pages: [1]   Go Up