INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tooltip Delay  (Read 1310 times)

pocket

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Tooltip Delay
« on: October 21, 2003, 06:15:29 am »

I'm quickly falling in love with MC9.  My favorite being the lossless audio encoding through Monkey's Audio, which really sets MC and MJ apart from anything else out there (I'm an audiophile I suppose because I can hear and feel the difference between compressed and raw audio....most people don't seem to care, but it's very important to me--espesh since I play it through my home audio system).  

Anyway.  There's another great feature in MC9.  Tooltips.  They show all kinds of good info including a thumbnail of the album cover, but the delay is annoyingly long.  Is there any way to decrease the delay?

jleerigby

Re:Tooltip Delay
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 06:47:35 am »

I like tooltips for displaying the tracks on a album when in Album Thumbnails view.  But I don't have tool tips switched on any more since when in details view the tip often leaps off the edge of the screen which looks really naf.  The main reason is the length of the filename.  I'd like to see filename removed from tooltips to resolve this issue.

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 07:00:32 am »

My favorite being the lossless audio encoding through Monkey's Audio, which really sets MC and MJ apart from anything else out there (I'm an audiophile I suppose because I can hear and feel the difference between compressed and raw audio....most people don't seem to care, but it's very important to me--espesh since I play it through my home audio system)

what genre(s) of music do you listen to ? to make the difference between raw and compressed stand out as much.

i'd imagine APE is great if you are ready to put up with 4X the storage and transmission costs compared to 192kbs CBR.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 07:25:08 am »

Thanks for the kind words.  There is no way I know to set the delay.  How long is it?  It should be a half second or so.

Open MC to the audio section and make sure it has had time to build all the thumbnails for your albums.  That can take a while if your collection is large, but only needs to happen once.

pocket

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 08:02:20 pm »

what genre(s) of music do you listen to ? to make the difference between raw and compressed stand out as much.

i'd imagine APE is great if you are ready to put up with 4X the storage and transmission costs compared to 192kbs CBR.

OT, but I don't mind.

Mostly Jazz (the *real* stuff...Louis Arstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, John Coltrane, Miles Davis...).  If you look at the frequency band, this stuff hits 'em all.   The acoustic bass can respond to 34 hz (yes, my home audio speakers respond to 28 hz ;)).  Even for a lot of the modern rock (not synthesized) mp3 and ogg compression kill the high bands.  There's a feel associated with the bass, and an indescribable ring associated with the highs that you just miss with MP3.  

Don't get me wrong.  In my car, MP3 is fine (my car speaks only kick from 42-20,000hz).  I just prefer the full feel and sound in my home.   And with so much drive space, storage isn't an issue for me right now.

pocket

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 08:06:35 pm »

There is no way I know to set the delay.  How long is it?  It should be a half second or so.

My delay seems to be about 2 seconds (it seems a little longer actually, but I attribute to my mousing/timing skills :P).  Other programs, and with windows itself, tooltips show up very quick (well within a second).  It happens even on the tips that don't load pictures.

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 11:47:53 pm »

There is no way I know to set the delay.  How long is it?  It should be a half second or so.

My delay seems to be about 2 seconds

2 seconds seems to be what mine are too...

It would be nice if this was faster... maybe 1 second...
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2003, 04:07:30 am »

Mostly Jazz (the *real* stuff...Louis Arstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, John Coltrane, Miles Davis...).  If you look at the frequency band, this stuff hits 'em all.  The acoustic bass can respond to 34 hz (yes, my home audio speakers respond to 28 hz ).  Even for a lot of the modern rock (not synthesized) mp3 and ogg compression kill the high bands.  There's a feel associated with the bass, and an indescribable ring associated with the highs that you just miss with MP3.  

Don't get me wrong.  In my car, MP3 is fine (my car speaks only kick from 42-20,000hz).  I just prefer the full feel and sound in my home.  And with so much drive space, storage isn't an issue for me right now.

Exactly !! I read many times some ppl say compression is good enough othertimes not, the missing link is music genre.

Any genre with lots of instrumentation suffers with compression. I agree in this instance its better to go with lossless compression. I dont think one needs to be an audiophile to justify this.

For genres like classical, jazz, rock even ( as u say) i bet no compression is best.

for genres where highs are not as pronounced to start off with, compression is good enough.

Since my interests tend to be in the electronic area, lots of synth stuff i have been spared :)

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2003, 11:05:07 am »

How can you switch off tooltips entirely? I found the option to switch them off in the tree...
Pages: [1]   Go Up