INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: UPDATED : Per song equaliser settings - BUGS FIXED!!  (Read 15861 times)

nila

UPDATED : Per song equaliser settings - BUGS FIXED!!
« on: October 22, 2003, 03:05:02 pm »

Would anyone find it particularly useful to be able to save equaliser settings per song and then have MC change it's equaliser settings depending on the song being played like iTunes does?

From what I can see from the SDK - it'd be pretty easy to create a plugin to do that.

Would people find it useful though?

Download here
http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/mc_data/plugins/aesetup.zip

dragyn

Re:Per song equaliser settings
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 09:16:51 pm »

I could use it.

How about changing the built-in dsp too?

When I have my music cranked wide open (like I usually do), sometimes the dsp subwoofer would be too much for the ears when there's a song with lots of bass compared to others with hardly any bass.

I should be saying this in the bug thread but I dunno. It's too far to walk.

nila

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 03:46:13 am »

lol - ok, not sure what you mean.

EXPLAIN!!! :)

This plugin should be pretty easy to do - I might even just create a basic one that reads in the genre of the song then uses the equaliser setting with that name - nice and easy - hip-hop gets hip-hop setting, rock gets rock etc!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 08:58:50 am »

I have a hard enough time trying to rate all of my songs. I can't imagine assigning them all their individual EQ settings too!

I think what dragyn is saying is that for each song, he'd like to specify what dsp settings to use.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 09:32:04 am »

If you can do this Nila it would be amazing.  That is one of the only things I could see in iTunes that I couldn't do with MC.  The others we'll work on Matt about!!

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

nila

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 09:51:04 am »

Ok,
here's what I'll try do then (this is presuming it's as easy as it looks to do this) - I'll make the plugin check for a field name  (equaliser) - if that field has no equaliser pre-set name in it or doesn't exist then it will use the Genre and match that up with an equaliser setting with a similar name.

If it cant find an equaliser pre-set that matches the genre it will prompt the user to chose one for that genre - whichever one they chose will get copied and renamed to the genre name.

How does that sound?

NoCodeUK

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 11:24:41 am »

Sounds excellent...so let me just clarify it is per track unless nothing is stated then it is by genre??

Adam

(Thinking about it per genre would probably be enough.  If you could change it from rock being set as rock to classical being classical that would be enough I guess.  Classical with the setting as rock however is not so good :))

"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

nila

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 11:31:26 am »

Yup - per track if specified otherwise by genre :)

Should be easy (famous last words)

nila

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 05:07:38 pm »

Had a quick play with this tonight.

Seems really straight forwards - Should be able to get it done by this weekend without any problems.

Maybe later if people want I can add extra features once they've had a chance to play with it.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 05:28:12 pm »

That would be sweet mate!!

nila

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2003, 06:37:05 pm »

Plugin Released!!!

Forget the weekend - this plugin was tooo easy.

Unfortunately there is no way to get all the pre-set's from MC automatically so you have to manually select each one then load it's settings into the plugin then save them.

Create all your Genre's in the plugin and it will then automatically use them for your songs.

As usual - comments and feedback appreciated!!

Download it here:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/downloads/mcplugins.pl?type=5&start=0&end=10&page=1

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 06:56:19 pm »

It won't install. I specify the install path and the shortcut location, click next, and then it tells me it can't find setup.exe.

dragyn

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 06:58:08 pm »

same here.

JeffB

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2003, 08:35:24 pm »

"

nila

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2003, 04:09:32 am »

You live and you learn every day, I'm not too hot at making installers that work or MJP files that work - dont ask me what went wrong I have no idea.

Anyway - I've edited it now and it's a 15kb download!! (ignore what it says on the plugin page).

url to get it is here:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/downloads/mcplugins.pl?type=10

If u have any problems please let me know!

;D

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2003, 09:12:33 am »

It installs ok, so that's a plus.

But then...

I open up MC. Nothing is playing, but I have a bunch of songs in Playing Now. I open the plugin and, to be honest, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. But here's what the plugin says, what I did, and what happened:

Plugin Shows:

Currently Playing Song : Doesn't Even Matter by Linkin Park (although like I said, MC isn't actually playing anything)

Genre : Rock (and the Matching Genre button is red)

Genre Presets : nothing??

Equaliser Preset Field Name : equaliser

Plugin On

Setting Name is blank

Genres Found So Far : Rock

What I Did:

1. Clicked Load Current EQ Settings (The EQ changed to show what I believe is the Rock preset)
2. Clicked Save

What Happened

The plugin crashed citing : Run-time error '5': Invalid procedure call or argument

nila

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2003, 09:57:03 am »

lol,
Thanks for the feedback at least :)

I'll add some debug code to try sort it - for some reason the project is now giving me errors when I try to load it up :(

nila

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2003, 01:20:54 pm »

Ok - I've added some debugging code.

you can download it here:    http://www.hostrus.co.uk/tmp/AutoEqualiser.ocx

Tell me what error number you get and I'll try fix it.

Do u have any way I can chat to u live (MSN, AIM, Yahoo, ICQ) so I could debug it and get feedback a bit faster? Private Message me if u do :)

cya

Nila

nila

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2003, 01:39:38 pm »

Oh yeah,

Instructions for use (figured it was self explanatory):

Each time a song is played it checks to see if the song's genre is in the: Genre Presets list - if it is then it loads up those EQ settings and uses them for that song.

To add a song to the genre presets you simply tweak the equaliser bars to whatever settings you want, Enter a setting name and click on 'Save' - it then adds those settings under the name specified to 'Genre Presets'.
To load up the pre-sets already saved in MC open up the DSP studio and load up the pre-set - then click on 'Load current EQ Settings'.
This will load up the current EQ settings into the plugin. Enter the name you want to save these under and click on Save.

The 'Genres found so far' simply lists all the genres that have so far been played by songs in playing now so allows you to compare it with Genre Presets to see what genres you still have not created pre-sets for.

Equaliser Preset Field Name  is the name of the field that you can store equaliser pre-set's in.
As default this is set to: equaliser and so the plugin checks to see if any info is stored in this field for each song played. If it finds anything in this field it will use it instead of the songs genre and try to find a match in the Genre Presets.

Any questions just ask :)

Hope that explains it.

Nila

dragyn

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2003, 08:46:46 am »

Nila,

Could it also be possible for you to make a plugin that changes Replay Gain based on a per track basis? Basically I want every track to be played at maximum volume level. Kinda like what foobar can do with it's track gain info. MC currently does not do this.

nila

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2003, 11:17:58 am »

Just checked the development notes for MC and I dont think this is possible sorry.
If you want it to be possible you'll have to ask MC to give us options to do it in the SDK.

Anyone else finding the plugin is working for them? Or not working as the case might be??
Anyone even using it?

phelt

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2003, 01:14:02 pm »

I'm definitely interested in this, Nila. But I don't have time for testing, so I'm waiting for at least one cannon-fodder run before trying it out  ;)

nila

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2003, 02:11:51 pm »

Phelt - Just try it.

It works TOTALLY fine on my system with NO errors.
It's a VERY basic plugin and so shouldn't cause any problems - I've added error trapping to it too so it shouldn't be crashing any  more unless I've missed a spot to catch it.

If u do happen to get an error you can just uninstall it but theres a good chance it'll work fine and u wont get any.

modelmaker

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2003, 03:46:07 pm »

Will this plugin work on MC 9.0.180?

Listening to: 'Colorado Song' from 'Ozark Mountain Dare Devils' by 'Ozark Mountain Dare Devils' on Media Center 9.0.180.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

nila

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2003, 03:50:05 pm »

Dont know for definite but it should do.

I'm not sure exactly what they changed in the SDK between versions.

Give it a try and post back your results :)

cant see any reason why it wouldn't.

modelmaker

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2003, 08:21:44 pm »

I installed it and it shows up on the the plugins interface menu, however when I startup MC or from the the interface menu and click on start I get the following message: "Interface Plug-in'auto-equalizer' could not be found or created".

Is this the correct plug-in? I was led to from your link.

Media Center Registered 9.0.180 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
AMD Athlon 1202 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 361 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3700.6705 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: LITE-ON  LTR-32123S         Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:32  MaxSpeed:32  Use MJ Engine:Yes
  Drive F: TDK      CDRW4800B          Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  Use MJ Engine:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

phelt

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2003, 01:28:28 pm »

I got the same results as modelmaker - no go.

nila

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2003, 06:28:13 am »

Ok,

I've just re-done the setup file.
Uninstalled my copy and downloaded it from the MC site using the link provided and installed it.
Got an error message saying it couldn't copy one file: FM20.dll as it was in use also saying installation failed. IGNORE THIS as it means you already have the file on your system and so dont need it added again - therefore not a problem.

I re-started MC and the plugin is now there and seems to be working fine.

Sorry I'm so useless at installers - let me know if it works for you guys now and you have any more problems.

If it works then all feedback welcomed :)

phelt

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2003, 04:10:42 am »

Still does not install for me. If I download and run the mjp file, letting MC handle the download and install, I get an MC error box during decompression/installation that says Media Jukebox.tlb is in use and the install failed.

If I download the zip myself, edit the URL in the mjp, and run the install off my drive, I get a different MC install failure error message. Sorry I can't remember the details - it's very late here. It wasn't the fm20 problem.

Either way, I get exactly the same error message upon starting MC - Interface Plug-in auto-equalizer could not be found or created.

nila

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2003, 05:43:41 am »

Phelt - do u have the VB runtime files installed?

phelt

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2003, 04:49:50 pm »

Which ones, ie. what version?

nila

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2003, 02:53:11 am »

v6.

I just presumed everyone had them installed from King's plugins so I didn't think it'd be necessary to tell people to get them.

Thanks for helping me try sort this out :)

nila

Re:UPDATED : Per song equaliser settings - BUGS FIXED!!
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2003, 04:15:27 pm »

OK - I just updated this!!!!

I THINK I've fixed the installer fully!!

Also - the uninstaller should not FULLY remove it and MC SHOULD start again after it's uninstalled with NO problems.

PLEASE test and let me know.

Also if any bugs need fixing, feature requests just ANY feedback - let me know!! :)

Enjoy (hope it works - I have my fingers crossed!)

nila

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2003, 03:19:36 am »

Download the plugin using this link and NOT from the plugin page

http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/mc_data/plugins/aesetup.zip

Enjoy! :)

phelt

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2003, 09:13:36 pm »

The popup upon launching MC 9.1.296 says:
"Interface plugin'Web Site Creator' could not be found or created."

The misnomer might occur because the HKLM and HKCU keys that are created get named Website Creator instead of AutoEqualiser. Also, AutoEqualiser.ocx has 'Website Creator' in the Product Name field of the version info.

So maybe the OCX is not getting registered properly? A cursory glance at the reg entries doesn't turn up any glaring errors for me. All the paths look fine. I renamed the aforementioned keys but the same error occurs upon MC startup. I didn't trace through all the classes - not that bored right now ;)

Process: Latest VB6 runtime from MS was reinstalled, then machine rebooted, then MC installed, then machine rebooted, then AutoEqualiser installed, then MC run.

Let me know if you have other suggestions.

nila

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2003, 03:10:40 am »

DAMN!!

lol - You went to a LOT of effort - THANKS, I appreciate the help and feedback with trying to work out what I'm doing so wrong with my installers :(

Ok - I just updated the plugin page now so all the registry enteries should be installed correctly.
The problems you mentioned shouldn't have stopped it working - they'd just have caused problems with Website Creator if you'd had that installed too.

Actually - the error talks about Web Site Creator - do you have that installed too?

If so could you uninstall that and Auto Equaliser - re-insall them both and tell me if that fixes it?

If you dont have it installed then let me know - I'll try find some more help from someone about what I'm doing wrong.

My biggest problem is that I cant get into #visualbasic  on EFnet to talk to anyone and get help because they have an ISP wide ban on my provider :(

Thanks for the help!!

phelt

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2003, 04:25:24 am »

I haven't installed Web Site Creator. The error box appears to pull its name string from the HKCU key name - after renaming it, the error box said 'Auto Equaliser'.

I'm not opposed to the idea that this is some weirdness at my end, but I can't figure out what it could be. I reinstalled the OS (Win2K SP2 plus a bunch of security fixes) about a month ago, so it's fairly clean. I have installed and used King Sparta's Cover Art Finder, so I know MC plugs can be installed.

Let me know if there's something else I can do to pin this down.

nila

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2003, 05:19:10 am »

Phelt,
can you make sure you have the following files on your system:

Kernel32.dll
User32.dll
GDI32.dll
ADVAPI32.dll
OLE32.dll
OLEAUT32.dll

They should all be there - they're standard windows ones - just checking :)

nila

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2003, 05:54:16 am »

Anyone else installed this and had it working or failing??

It'd be nice to know if it's just Phelt or what.

Thanks!

phelt

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2003, 04:18:33 pm »

Heh, yes I have all those in the system32 dir. Not sure if software or even windows could run if I did not ;)

nila

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2003, 02:48:01 am »

:)

lol, u seem to be fully aware of what your talkin about :)
Always good to see.
Ok, I'm really stumped as to what it could be - have you ever had this working on your system?
Maybe I'll re-make it from scratch and see if it works just to make sure there's nothing dodgy going on with the plugin itself.
I cant think of anything else.
According to the dependancies for the file the only file you need for it is included with the installer :(

phelt

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2003, 01:24:25 pm »

No, haven't had it working yet. It's mystifying and a little frustrating, for both of us, I'm sure. I really would like to have this working, and I don't usually run into similar problems with other apps. Usually problems start when using their interfaces and 'features' ;)

Any chance you could give me a version list for all dependent files? I'm just thinking there's an off chance of a version mismatch. The only other thing I can think of is possible path problems, though this seems unlikely.

Last note: FM20.DLL has a lastmod date of August 3, 2003. FM20ENU.DLL has a lastmod date of October 17, 1999. (Obviously I wonder about any files with pre-2000 dates).

nila

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2003, 07:42:57 am »

Do you have VB 6 installed? Not the runtimes - the actual dev. program? if so I could send you the code.

I'm going to post the full code online and try get some help off of Rhino or King but it'll have to wait till tomorrow when I'm back at my comp.

Hopefully I can work out what's causing all the problems.

The REALLY annoying thing is that this plugin is sooo simple that I'd have thought it'd work no problems :(

anyway, hopefully I can work out why my plugins have problems soon and sort it !

Thanks for the help!

phelt

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2003, 01:21:21 am »

Sorry, no VB6.

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
  • I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2003, 03:44:23 pm »

Nila,

Just wantred to let you know that the plugin works now.  Actually I'm using it right now.  It really is AWSOME.  It should be packaged with MC9 (as should Playing Now by RhinoBarga).

Nice Work

nila

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2003, 04:52:15 pm »

Cool :)

Glad to know that it's working and someone's finding it useful.

Got an e-mail off of someone saying it totally messed up their system and having a go at me for releasing it.

Not sure how it messed up their system as it doesn't touch the system or files AT ALL - it purely interacts with MC but I do admit there have been quite a few problems with getting the installer to work properly :(
For anyone else having problems with it - SORRY - but it  DEFINITELY doesn't mess up systems - it's way too basic.

Did it work straight away for you with the new downloadable setup I put up or did you have to do something?
If you had to do something I'd be VERY interested to know what so I can work out what's causing the problems with it.

Glad you like it though and if there's anything you need tweaked just say. It's pretty straightforward though :)

Only thing I'm planning to change is that it's gonna have a drop down list of all the MC fields for you to chose the one with your EQ pre-sets in rather than typing it in manually thanks to the new feature in MC :) (THANKS MATT!!)

All other idea's welcomed - INCLUDING how to get it working properly for EVERYONE!

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2003, 07:16:29 pm »

Nila,

No, I didn't have to do anything special to use the plugin.  I just had to install in.  I downloaded with your instructions at:
http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/mc_data/plugins/aesetup.zip.  I'm not sure if that is the same URL as in the above post.  There have been a few instances where the plugin "fritzed" a little and turned white and unusable.  But that was easily solved by turning the plugin off and then back on.  As soon as I can remember what I was doing when this happened I'll let you know.  Other than that there aren't any problems that I know of.
As for you idea of improving it via the drop down menu...I think that would be a really great idea.

nila

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2003, 02:10:17 am »

Cool,
glad to hear it was working fine.

I'll add a bunch of code to catch errors just to stop it ever 'turning white' and that'll hopefully make it a lot more solid :)

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2003, 01:53:55 pm »

Nila,

I remembered what I was doing when the plugin had that problem.  I was tring to save a preset with a name of a preset that already existed.

mdlmn

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2003, 04:39:10 pm »

It installed Ok. But in the columns to show there is no column that says equalizer setting etc... How am I suposed to set the equalizer per song without this?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up