INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is MC Normalizing even with the option unchecked?  (Read 950 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Is MC Normalizing even with the option unchecked?
« on: October 22, 2003, 06:58:47 pm »

I have been ripping my CD's using MC9 with the "Normalize before encoding" checkbox unchecked.  I just noticed that after ripping the CD and before encoding the status says "Normalizing" for a moment.  Is MC9 normalizing even though I told it not to?  Or is it just doing the ReplayGain analysis and just flashing "Normalizing" up to make me paranoid?

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
Re:Is MC Normalizing even with the option unchecked?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 11:14:36 pm »

Well, did some testing and it appears that it isn't normalizing.

Ran the encode process twice, once with the simultaneous rip/encode and one without.  My understanding is that normalizing can't be done with the simultaneous option on.  Song ripped and encoded to .ape normal:

The resulting .ape files were slightly different in size (possibly due to tags?), but no more than 50 bytes.  Converting the .ape files back to .wav files resulted in two identical files (MD5's are identical for both files).

Given that, I guess that no normalization is being done dispite the "Normalizing" step flashing up on screen.  Can anyone at JRiver confirm this to put my mind completely at ease?  Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Is MC Normalizing even with the option unchecked?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 12:03:16 am »

Yeah, it's just doing this:

Show "Normalizing"
Normalize if necessary
Show <insert next step here>

So there's nothing to worry about.  Still, we should probably change it so we don't make anyone nervous...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up