INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steve - MPIO plug in problem  (Read 4347 times)

duhva

• Junior Woodchuck
Steve - MPIO plug in problem
« on: September 19, 2002, 01:32:10 pm »

Hi Steve. I couldn't find the old thread for the MPIO plug-in you released back in July, so I've started a new one.

One problem and one question:

Problem: I have a CD-ROM with wma and mp3 files sotred in folders and sub-folders on it. I use MJ to play the sonds directly from the CD-ROM. When I then try to move those files to MPIO, that's not a problem. But when I try to upload those files to MPIO, I get an error "Failed to find source file."

I have tried this with different files in different folders, and get the same error. When I copy the wma file to my desktop, and open that file in MJ, and copy to MPIO and upload, there is no problem.

Any ideas or fixes?

My question: any further news from MPIO of when their SDK will support folders for the DMG (and when MJ will incorporate that into your plug-in)?

Thanks!

duhva

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Steve - MPIO plug in problem
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2002, 12:34:56 pm »

Duhva,

The bug you report is verifiable, but is an MJ bug, not a Plug-in bug.  We will try to get it fixed next week, if it is too major, it may have to wait until version 9.  

I emailed MPIO today looking for updates for the SDK, if they send me something I will update the Plug-in.

duhva

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2002, 11:59:13 am »

Thanks Steve. Can you post any bug fix or SDK updates to this thread?

If I have to wait for MJ9 I guess I'll give my two cents on the upgrade license thread  ;)

-duhva

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2002, 01:01:23 pm »

Duhva,

This may have to wait until version 9.  Go ahead and post to the upgrade license thread, that may help it to  happen sooner.

Sorry for the delay.

Steve

duhva

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2002, 01:57:15 pm »

Hi Steve. A few MPIO DMG tidbits / questions:

A few days ago I downloaded the new MPIO DMG firmware (x2.16) and the new Manager software. Combined they now support folders on internal memory. Any chance of updating the MJ plugin to do the same?

While you're at it, I noticed what may be another bug with the MJ MPIO plug-in:
When I format memory (internal and external) using MJ, it corrupts the DMG's memory so it doesn't retain system settings such as backlight, tag display, etc. I have to format meory again using the MPIO Manager software to fix this problem.

Finally, any update on the other bug I reported? Is it still expected in v9, or will it be fixed before then. Appologies if you've already addressed this, but I've been out of the loop for the past month moving across the Atlantic.

Thanks!

duhva

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2002, 06:27:31 am »

duhva,

I just emailed my contact with MPIO to try to get the update that you are referring to. If they send it, I will implement it. In regards to the formatting, if we do something differently than the software you are using, I hope that the update from MPIO would correct this.

In regards to the file upload problem you originally reported, this will be fixed in version 9.

Steve

duhva

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2002, 07:12:54 am »

Thanks Steve. I'll keep my eyes peeled to this board to see if MPIO gets back to you (if it would help, I'm happy to email them as well)... and I'll wait patiently  ;D for v9 for the other bug fix.

Cheers

duhva

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2002, 08:55:21 am »

Duhva,

I received a reply from MPIO and they thought they might be able to get something to me next week that willl fix the items you mentioned.

Steve

duhva

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2002, 01:45:04 pm »

WOO HOO!  :D

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the next release of the plug-in. Thanks Steve.

duhva

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2002, 11:57:12 am »

Duhva,

FYI, I just fixed the upload of CD files to portables in MJ 9.

duhva

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2002, 02:38:59 pm »

Excellent, thanks Steve! At the moment I'm on a 56k line, and paying by the minute, so I'll wait until the production release of v9 to download and test it, but you'll definitely hear back form me then.

cheers

duhva

duhva

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2002, 08:11:07 am »

Hi Steve. Just poking you to see if you've heard back from MPIO with an updated SDK that supports folders and hopefully fixes the format memory problem?

Thanks.

Duhva

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2002, 12:24:34 pm »

Duhva,

Thanks for checking back. I have something from MPIO, but it has all kinds of caveats about it may have problems. I was kind of waiting to see if they got me something without so much baggage, but I will try to get something going with what I have next week. Thanks for chcking in on this.

Steve

duhva

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2002, 12:42:26 pm »

No worries Steve. You can always count on me when it comes to gentle hassling  ;)

Strange that MPIO is unsure of the SDK. They released new firmware and management software on Oct. 17 and Oct. 24, and nothing has been heard since. Seems to work fine on the player and Win2K.

Anyway, I'll check back in a few weeks. I'll also probably upgrade to v9 and try out the CDROM fix you did a while back.

Thanks -duhva

duhva

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2002, 12:29:01 pm »

Hi Steve. I've taken the plunge and upgraded to v9 (well, OK, I kept v8 on the machine just in case).

OT - v9 is a lot more stable than the many posts would have you believe.

Right now, out of the box (so to speak), v9 does not include an MPIO plug-in. Either that, or there is a bug because the program says it can't find one.

I've already posted an MPIO error handling bug on the v9 forum, but am curious if the MPIO plug-in works with v9, or are you re-writing it?

Thanks.

Duhva

SteveG

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2002, 01:17:48 pm »

duhva,

It should work, although I have not tested it. There were some changes to the registry that may cause your failure. Try getting MJ 9.0.84 from today which should resolve this.

Steve

duhva

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2002, 12:24:40 am »

Hi Steve. First off, do you want me to be posting v9 MPIO stuff to the v9 section?

I d/l 9084 this morning. The error handlign problem has been fixed, but there is one slight snag.

If I click on MPIO when the player is not connected and I click on MPIO icon, it pops up an "MPIO not found" box. I click OK, and there is a smaller box behind it, which says it is trying to initialize. I am unable to close this box or cancel it.

Also, once I've unplugged the player from the USB port, MJ (or is it now MC?) still thinks it's plugged in... but does error handle OK afterwards.

Thanks for fixing the moving mp3/wma files from CD to player. That works great. Also tried the file conversion, which worked like a charm.

I did not try format or folders, since I know you're waiting for the updated SDK.

I think I asked you this before, but can't remember the answer: can I use MJ/MC to reorder the files on the MPIO when it's plugged in?

Thanks. -duhva

SteveG

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2002, 05:04:11 am »

Duhva,

Thanks for the update. Go ahead and post MPIO stuff here for 8 or 9.  I need to get to some testing on this before I can address your issues. I will try to get to it today.  If not, I will try again next week. Sorry for the delays.  

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2002, 11:02:31 am »

Duhva,

You are not forgotten. There will be a new version of MJ 9 (9.0.87) later today. When it is available, please download it  and redownload the MPIO Plug-in and let me know if things are better.

I started to implement the SDK but neither their software or mine allows for the addition of subfolders. I think I need the latest firmware, but I got some kind of cryptic warning against this with the SDK. I have emailed MPIO to try to get to the bottom of this so I can move forward.

Thanks,

Steve

duhva

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2002, 11:39:44 am »

Steve - thanks for the tip. I dled 9086 this morning my time and hadn't installed it yet. I'll wait for 9087 and then have a go.

Not sure what the stability warnings are all about. I'm using firmware x2.16 on my MPIO DMG 128, and using MPIO Manager 4.2.0.0 on my latpop.

With this combo I can download folders full of MP3s or WMAs onto the MPIO DMG's internal memory and navigate them on the player, etc.

I've been using this version of firmware & software since they were released, and have had no problems, except once when the player forgot its settings.

So, for me at least, this firmware seems stable. They do issue a warning with each firmware upgrade, so maybe they're just playing it safe?

Regardless, thanks for the update, and I'll play around with 9087 this weekend and let you know how it works with the DMG.

Cheers.

Duhva

duhva

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2002, 08:59:27 am »

Hi Steve. Didn't get time to really try out 9087 with the MPIO, but did discover an error handling bug.

I tried to upload more files to the DMG's internal memory than there was room for.

It uploaded 7 files, and then the following error box popped up:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact etc.

I'll give it a more in-depth try out tomorrow.

System Info:

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.87 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium III 276 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 196 MB, Free - 66 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4916.400 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   No CD drives found.
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

duhva

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2002, 05:26:00 am »

Hello again Steve. OK, this morning I had a bit of time to put MC 9.0.88 & MPIO plug-in through some workouts. Here's what I did and the results:

1. Opened MC and clicked on MPIO without the MPIO DMG plugged in.
Result  = Initialization box appeared, error handling box appeared on top of it, when I clicked OK, error handling box disappeared, but initialization box remained, and would not close.

I then Closed MC.

2. Opened MC, plugged in the MPIO DMG and clicked MPIO.
Result = initialized OK.

3. Format Internal memory
Result = formatted memory OK, but erased previously saved MPIO DMG preferences

4. Unplugged MPIO, and clicked through MPIO, Internal Memory, and External memory
Result = Error handling box appeared and closed OK.

5. Then replugged in MPIO and clicked on MPIO icon
Result = MC appeared to hang, but then displayed files properly. No "Initializing" box appeared when MPIO was plugged in.

6. Tried to format external memory
Result = MC crashed and MS error box appeared: "Media Jukebox.e.exe has generated errors and will be closed down by Windows."

I then restarted Windows and this time plugged in the MPIO DMG, then click on MPIO. Again, no problem. I then:

1. Format external memory
Result = formatted memory OK, but erased previously saved MPIO DMG preferences.

I then unplugged the MPIO DMG, and plugged it back in and clicked on the MPIO icon. MC crashed again and gave the same "generated errors" window.

Again, there seems to be some error handling problems, and also the preferences stored on the DMG are wiped out by formatting either memory. I then formatted memory using MPIO DMG Manager 4.2.0.0 software, and the DMG retained its preferences after being shut down and turned on again.

Finally, I was looking forward to tryign out on-the-fly conversion, but ran into a problem. Here's what I did:

1. Opened MC
2. Plugged in the MPIO DMG
3. Clicked on the MPIO icon.
4. Inserted an audio CD into the CD drive.
5. Slected the songs directly from the CD and dragged over MPIO icon
6. Clicked on MPIO icon and then tried to upload files, with forced conversion.

I then got an error box saying "Point of Departure/Track01.cda contains an invalid path"

I'm guessing that it is because the files are not MP3 or WMA files, but are sitting in the INTERNAL MEMORY que, that the player or MC can't handle it.

Will I be able to convert CD audio files to, say, WMA 96 files on the fly, or do I have to have them as either MP3 or WMA first?

That's my first feature request, to be able to move files directly from CD to MPIO MMG.

My second feature request is that when I right click on a file(s) in playing now, or on a CD, and go to Send To, I can choose between Internal and External memory from that menu.

I hope this all makes sense. I know it's a lot of info and I tried to arrange it (semi) logically. Please ask me any questions you need answered. In the meantime, I'll keep playing around with it.

Cheers.

Duhva

SteveG

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2002, 06:19:27 am »

Hello Duhva,

Thanks for the detailed reports. The on-the-fly conversion from CD to MPIO will not work. You will have to convert the files to mp3 or wma before attempting the transfer. The conversion can be used to change bitrate and file type on the fly.

The Send-to option always remembers the last path where you dropped a file, so if you drop a file on the External Memory card, the next time you do "Send-to" the file will be sent to the External Memory card.

I will check into the other problems. I started implementing the latest SDK from MPIO and it is a mess. I will come up with some way to work around this, but it may take a little time.

Sorry for the delay.

Steve

duhva

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2002, 06:54:16 am »

Steve- thanks for the prompt reply. Any way of being able to select Internal v. external folders from the SEND TO menu?

Also, I've got two new bugs for you:

1. I opened MC, opened 8 files, selected them from playing now, and tried to drag them over to the MPIO icon when the MPIO was not plugged in.

I got that "Initializing" box, and the MC crashed.

Number 2 is more sinister.

I ripped the CD (Andrew Hill / Point of Departure, if you're curious) into 192 MP3 files.

I then used SEND TO to send to MPIO's internal memory.

I then clicked on MPIO icon, selected OPTIONS, and forced conversion to WMA 96. I then UPLOADED the files.

It chugged away up to about file 4, when this window appeared and MC crashed:

hmm... no way to upload images directly to the foum...

OK, I'll describe it. It was a MC styled small pop up window, with "Error" as its title. In the box itself displayed three characters: "ü ‡▐" and had an OK button. But as I said, by this point MC had frozen up.

Here's the system info:

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.88 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium III 60 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 196 MB, Free - 78 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4916.400 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

SteveG

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2002, 01:00:35 pm »

FYI,

I made a bunch of progress on this today. I should have something to post tomorrow.

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2002, 12:27:00 pm »

MPIO People,

I finished a new Plugin today and posted it (v 3.0.5). I am closing this thread and starting a new one for the new build.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up