INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with updating tags remotely  (Read 930 times)

x243

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Need help with updating tags remotely
« on: October 25, 2003, 07:28:27 pm »

I felt like tagging all of my music that previously wasn't tagged. I did this by getting the Media Library from my LAN's media server and then proceeded to update the tags on the remote computer that just downloaded from the server. In other words, I was updating tags for music that wasn't physically on the computer I was working with. So I go to archive this new media library that has the updated tags- I assumed that it would update the tags on the files on the server computer too, but it didn't. Then I tried using the media library backup I had just made, copied it to the server computer and then restored that libary and tried to update the tags on the server's music files, but there was a problem... The filenames are preceeded by e:\music\ (the directory on the server where the music is) and if I look at the long pathname, it shows the address of the server 10.199.x.x:4534\e:\music\song - artist.wma (as an example). I don't know how to update the tags on the music files themselves! This took several hours and I don't want to do it again. Sure, I can use the archive of the media library that has all of the updated tags, but that only works with MediaCenter. I'd like to have the tags on the music so they would show up in any media player that can read tags.  Will I have to retag everything on the computers the files reside on, or can I somehow use the remote media library I created that has all of the updated tags?

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
Re:Need help with updating tags remotely
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 12:11:44 am »

I tag most of my music remotely and it works every time. Make sure you have checked the right setting in Tools--> Library Tools where the tagging is changed when you make changes in the library. I have all my information in the tags and update the library every time I have added new songs.

By the way, don't forget to update your original library from the tags as changes are not detected automatically. So delete everything (just library, NOT PHYSICALLY) and reimport your files into the library.

x243

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re:Need help with updating tags remotely
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 09:55:40 am »

Nothing I do works. I removed all tags completely using MC on the server computer, then tried to update them again using the backed up library from the client computer. All of the song names were still trailed by e:\music\directory... I used the 'Fill and Replace' tool, but that only managed to get rid of the e:\music part. The rest of the directory along with the artist was still part of the song name. Is there any way to get rid of this?! It has to be a bug!
Pages: [1]   Go Up