INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can i rip songs from a dvd?  (Read 2104 times)

7_cats

• Recent member
  • this is the modern world that i've heard about...
can i rip songs from a dvd?
« on: October 26, 2003, 01:12:14 pm »

forgive me if this is a dumb question, but i would like to know if i can put in a music dvd (eg, REM live) and rip the songs from it to mp3?

thanks
some smooth chords, on the car radio....

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:can i rip songs from a dvd?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 01:39:50 pm »

Yes, it can be done, but it is not as easy and simple as ripping an audio cd and currently not something that Media Center can do.

Check out http://www.doom9.org/ for info.

Rob

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 02:23:56 am »

I did this by putting it in my DVD player, hooking up an audio cable to the line in on my sound card and recording it track by track.  Maybe you can do something similar from within your PC but I'm not sure if this would require 2 sound cards.  Someone here will know.

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 08:18:39 am »

I've tried this before, and here's what I've found.

I tried the whole rip VOB files/AC3 conversion thing. The software was hard to use, IMO, and there were sooooo many options that I didn't understand it. There really is no user-friendly way to do it, from what I've seen. I did see one program out there one time which was supposed to rip it like a CD (just put in in the tray, pick file settings and locations, and RIP) but it didn't work right.

Then I used MMJB (this was back in my dark ages before MC9  :))  What I did was put the DVD in my drive, opened WMP9, and got the DVD to the right spot and paused it. In the background, I opened MMJB and set the recording source to the sound card to record in mp3. Then I would simply hit Play in WMP9, then switch quick to MMJB and hit record. This way, you have to stop/start with each track, quite a PITA. But I got my mp3s  :)  Because it was such an ugly process, I only did one DVD.

When I got MC9, and saw that it played DVDs and had the built in sound recorder, I was hoping that I could get it to work in there. But I have never been successful with it, and I gave up....

Just one user's experience. If anyone knows of a better, easier way to do this, please post!  I'd love to get the rest of my concert DVDs on my iPod  :)

Thanks

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 02:07:38 am »

I also looked for a Tool that can do that. Finaly I think BeSweet

http://dspguru.notrace.dk/

does this job (Freeware, if I'm not wrong). With the Front-End BeSure it is easy to handle - I think. I must say, that i didn't try it, because I hook up the Digital Interface of my Soundcard to my Archos Jukebox Recorder(The biggest invention since MC  ;D) and recorded the Sound of the DVD in that way. The sound is absolutly ok.
The Option "Recording from Soundcard" in MC does also not work for me.  :-\. I think this could be a very easy way to handle DVDs.
Please, tell your experiences with BeSweet to the audience...

Uwe  

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 02:21:56 am »

For what it's worth, DVDIdle (www.dvdidle.com), which I mentioned earlier, will present a DVD as a regular drive and you can move/copy the VOB files like a regular disk.

Then other tools can extract the audio. DVDIdle makes life simpler because it processes the decryption transparently.

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 03:32:03 am »

It sounds like a very cool program.  I'd be rushing to check it out if I didn't have an RPC1 DVD drive.  I might still check it out for my laptop.

kiwi

rocketsauce

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 03:08:39 pm »

I've been using DVD Decrpter to rip and then usually BeSweet with the BeSure frontend to convert to wav. Sometimes I use HeadAC3he to convert to wav. Links to all should be at Doom9.org.

Rob

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 03:21:50 pm »

The latest Roxio easy CD & DVD Creator 6 allows all of this.

You can burn by dropping the Video_TS directory into your project, or you can copy by just using the inbuilt copier.

Also DVD Clone by Elby does the same
Pages: [1]   Go Up