INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help requested: media server vs. remote server  (Read 1568 times)

RobOK

• Citizen of the Universe
  • long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
help requested: media server vs. remote server
« on: October 25, 2003, 05:07:23 pm »

I had been running Media Server in the past on port 80, had accessed it and used it to run Tivo as well.

Now if I try to run on port 80, it says it cannot bind (i.e. that port is in use).  When I look at my firewall, it is MEDIA JUKEBOX.EXE that is listening on that port.

There is an option in Start Up options that allows to "Run Remote Server on port 80" (where 80 is an enterable data field).

1. what is the difference, if any, between Media Server (under the More Tools option) and Remote Server (in the Startup options).

2.  Whenever I try to uncheck that box or change that port number in Startup options, the whole program crashes when i try to save the options.  Is there another way of changing options (i.e. command line, INI file or Registry?).

3.  Has this option always been there?  I never noticed it before.  I will go install an old version at some point, but thought maybe someone would know off the top of their head.

[edit: i can run Media Server on other ports, just want to understand what Remote Server is though, and even better be able to turn it off.  Does everyone have a remote server running on port 80?]

Thanks for any help.  Unfortunately, this is on Win ME, so things crash all the time, especially relating to the Media Server.

Any help appreciated,

R.

==========================

Media Center Registered 9.1.289 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows Me
Intel Pentium III 866 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 145 MB
Resource Info: System - 42 %, GDI - 59 %, User - 42 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 5.50.4134.100 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.57 (1014) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1998 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  No burners found.
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

RobOK

Re:help requested: media server vs. remote server
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 08:28:10 pm »

Now if I try to run on port 80, it says it cannot bind (i.e. that port is in use).  When I look at my firewall, it is MEDIA JUKEBOX.EXE that is listening on that port.

Of course after posting that, I've now had several people try to connect to it [which my firewall blocked].  If you guys are just trying to hack around.... well, I guess I expected better from this board.  If you are testing out some theory of what it is, I hope you post here and explain.

LisaRCT

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 09:11:10 am »

Considering you did not post your IP address, and your email address in your profile is hidden . . . .
I doubt anyone form here is attampting to 'hack' into your PC.

Listening to: Kinks - Destroyer on MC9.1

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 09:53:42 am »

I had been running Media Server in the past on port 80, had accessed it and used it to run Tivo as well.

There is an option in Start Up options that allows to "Run Remote Server on port 80" (where 80 is an enterable data field).

[edit: i can run Media Server on other ports, just want to understand what Remote Server is though, and even better be able to turn it off.  Does everyone have a remote server running on port 80?]

Try turning off Media Server sharing, rebooting and then changing the startup option for RemoteServer.  RemoteServer replaced the WebRemote plugin.  Both allow you to control MC from a remote device.

Failure to bind just means that you're trying to run Media Server on a port that is already in use.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 09:59:34 am »

Of course after posting that, I've now had several people try to connect to it [which my firewall blocked].  If you guys are just trying to hack around.... well, I guess I expected better from this board.  If you are testing out some theory of what it is, I hope you post here and explain.

You could do a web search to find out about worms that try to exploit open ports.  That's probably what you're seeing.  

For the same reason, it's probably better to choose a higher port number.  8239, for example.

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2003, 04:21:14 pm »

RobOK

I see people trying to get at my port 80 all the time in the logs of my (SmoothWall - Linux) firewall.

It seems pretty much par for the course.

If yer firewall is doing it's thing, that's good.
Cheers
Rob

RobOK

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2003, 04:34:08 pm »

RobOK

I see people trying to get at my port 80 all the time in the logs of my (SmoothWall - Linux) firewall.

It seems pretty much par for the course.

If yer firewall is doing it's thing, that's good.

Considering you did not post your IP address, and your email address in your profile is hidden . . . .
I doubt anyone form here is attampting to 'hack' into your PC.

yes, in retrospect I made a comment without thinking too much first.  I swear thats the first time ever!

i think you are right, the pings on my port 80 were probably just coincidence.

In any case, I did manage to turn off the Remote Server option without it crashing.  Sometimes other shareware programs cause strange crashes with Media Server.  

Anyway, all is well now and i appreciate the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up