INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analyzing devices bug  (Read 792 times)

trw7

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Analyzing devices bug
« on: October 27, 2003, 01:00:31 pm »

I routinely hit this bug and wonder if anyone else has seen this:

1) Start up MC9 (269) on Win2K Pro SP3
2) I click on the CD/DVD/Handhelds node to expand it
3) The dialog "Please wait..." "Analyzing devices..." appears
4) At this point, MC9 will sit there forever and does not respond to anything.  MC9 cannot be terminated or stopped by any means.  Everything else in Windows still works.  The only way to restart MC9 is to restart Windows.  And since the MC9 process WILL NOT respond to termination requests, Windows itself cannot shutdown - it will go through "Saving settings..." and "Windows is shutting down..." then just shows a full, blue screen with the mouse pointer (not a BSOD) forever.  I've let it sit there for over 20 minutes to see if it will eventually be able to shutdown.  It doesn't.  I must physically power off the PC.  Of course when it is powered on again, it complains about not shutting down correctly and needs to scan the disks.

The is a very severe and very frustrating bug.  This is the only bug I've ever hit while using Win2K (over 2 years) that is able to impact Win2K this severely.  Is there a fix for this?  Reinstall MC9?  A new release?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Analyzing devices bug
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 01:14:54 pm »

Try disconnecting your CD and DVD drives to test.  Something may be wrong at the hardware level.

trw7

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re:Analyzing devices bug
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 01:26:30 pm »

I'll try that.  The odd thing is, 60% of the time, this does not happen.  The rest of the time, MC9 works fine.  It rips and encodes and synchs with my iPod fine.  It would surprise me if there were something about my CDROM drive or DVD burner that it didn't like.  Even if there were, I'd say this is still a bug.  MC9 should not allow itself to get into a state where it refuses to be killed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up