INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.1.289 available  (Read 9462 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 9.1.289 available
« on: October 23, 2003, 04:08:56 pm »

This is the latest build.  There may be some known (and unknown) bugs.

The latest known stable version of 9.1 is here:
http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/download.html

The latest build of 9.1 is here:  
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter91289.exe

9.1.289 History
1. Fixed: AAC Bitrate and Duration info.
2. Fixed: X10 mouse remote plug-in wouldn't install.
3. Fixed: TV view would show scrollbars at small sizes.
4. Fixed: Visualizations would not move on some systems.
5. Changed: Tuned BPM calculator to be more accurate.
6. Fixed: Trying to create a playlist while an existing playlist was selected would not work.
7. Fixed: The Hauppauge WinTV channel scanning produced no channels.
8. NEW: Added DVD Options dialog. (from DVD right-click or Options > Playback)

9.1.288 History
1. Fixed: List controls wouldn't always use the proper background color for the non-item dead area in short lists.
2. Changed: Tuned BPM calculator to be less likely to half the BPM of songs with BPM over 140.
3. Fixed: When changing selections in the panes, sometimes the file list wouldn't be scrolled to the top.
4. Fixed: While analyzing audio, several things in the main interface wouldn't work properly. (typing in searches, mouse wheel, etc.)
5. Fixed: Installation of plugins did't work.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

zurn

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:Media Center 9.1.289 available
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 05:40:31 pm »

I apologize if this hasn't been covered, but i have 9.1.286, and didn't see this in the lists of fixes.

I had written the other day about the previous version's failure to update my old library, and that all is fine, but i've just noticed that i no longer have the new default set of smartlists that came with the older install.   It preserved my old ones, but the only new one that i have is "Recent Playing Now's"--which is great, by the way.

But the other ones:
Top Hits
Recently Played
Recently Imported  
Recently Ripped
Auto Smartlists (music)
Auto Smartlists (video & image)

The strangest is that Recently Imported isn't there, since it has always been there.  

Anyway, just thought i'd point that one out....assuming it got missed somehow.

thanks,
steve
-steve

MachineHead

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 05:46:41 pm »

Any chance of lightening the load with the default skin? The bitmaps are roughly twice the size of the other mega skins. Is it possible to change them to something smaller?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 05:53:21 pm »

Any chance of lightening the load with the default skin? The bitmaps are roughly twice the size of the other mega skins. Is it possible to change them to something smaller?

They're not compressed, but I think they actually take less space in the download.  RAR alone beats PNG + RAR when we've tried. (correct me if I'm wrong on that one)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 05:59:37 pm »

When compressed, it's only about 150KB more than average... should that be a problem?

MachineHead

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 06:02:49 pm »

It wasn't the download itself. At 2MBPS it takes about 90 seconds to download the whole enchilada. Sometimes less.

Anyway, it just seemed a bit large. If I get that low on drive space I'm just gonna get a couple of more harddrive's.  :)

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 06:10:38 pm »

enchilada... LOL
I think the biggest gobbet in it is that windows media codec stuff that has to be downloaded again with every beta... about 4MB :P

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 07:18:17 pm »

I don't know whether it's an issue of things not being fully implemented yet, but I get the following error when I try to access the DVD playback options:
No Valid DVD-Video volume could be located.

Some possible things to check:
a) Low Video Memory. Please try lowering resolution & try again.
b) Another application is currently using necessary display resources.  Please insure that no such programs are running
c) The display adapter is incompatible with the DVD decoder.  Please try to obtain a display driver update
d) incompatible MPEG2 decoder software.  Try installing a different decoder.

I was wondering whether i should start trying all those different options?  Or whether it hadn't been fully implemented yet.

I'm running WinXP, and am using PowerDVD 4.0.  (And DVD Playback works w/o problems in MC.)

Here's my sys info:

Media Center Registered 9.1.289 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2393 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 515 MB, Free - 164 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: AOPEN    CD-RW CRW4852      Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:235  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

Omni

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 07:57:45 pm »

I know this is a minor nit-pick (sort of), but it's been present in MC since day one.

If one brings up the option's dialog box (and maybe other ones, too), the mouse movement events are being reflected back down to the divider bar between the visualization window and the playing now list window.

Translated:  I can make the auto-hidden visualation selection bar hide and unhide even though I'm moving my mouse strictly within the dialog box.

Omni

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 08:04:11 pm »

Note for DVD Playback options.  

I put a disk in and it worked.

I like to play DVDs from my HD.  Do setting put in here effect that playback as well?

I guess that I'd like to be able to change the settings w/o a disk being present.

kiwi

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2003, 08:37:53 pm »

1. Fixed: AAC Bitrate and Duration info. This did not make it into pre 9.1.289 builds.

iTunes AAC files still don't play for me on the iPod, same action as before (skips to next song). Before posting this, I did this to test: iPod was Restored and reinitialized, and was resynced. AAC files were also deleted from the database and re-imported before the sync.

I'll post in iPod support thread as well, but I thought it should go here since it was listed in the "Fixed" section of the top post.

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

Squibbles

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 09:05:04 pm »

This build doesn't upload all my playlists to the iPod. I select it for synchronization, but it doesn't show up on my iPod. Some of them do, but some don't.

--edit--
Going through my iPod again, I just realized that it missed about 90% of my MP3 library... It said on MC9 that it synched it all, but it doesn't show up on the iPod.

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 09:12:28 pm »

Squibbles:  Try a full restore with 2.1, initialize for MC9, and then synch--that'll probably fix it...

LisaRCT

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2003, 10:46:13 pm »

This build is NOT asking to remove empty folders when files are renamed.

cdrmaker

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2003, 11:06:33 pm »

i don't know if this has been cover or asked for, but in MC 9.0 under media library/audio there was a menu item for genre. this was very useful to sort & listen to a certian type of music quickly, but in mc 9. it's gone. will it be comming back? if not how cfan i add this to my view scheme?

NoCodeUK

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2003, 03:14:23 am »

Not sure if the BPM tuning is for better or worse...Some of the tracks with lower BPMs are now being quoted with higher.  I think "Whats Up" for example should be a round 70 BPM and not 130 BPM...It depends whether this is being looked at from a musical pov or a mathematical one.  From a musical one I think the BPM calculator worked better before...Just my 2c.  Tracks in 4/4 are always gonna be difficult to work out mathematically I guess as maths cannot predict the root note length ie is it 4/4 with quarter notes or 4/4 with 16ths...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2003, 04:01:21 am »

i don't know if this has been cover or asked for, but in MC 9.0 under media library/audio there was a menu item for genre. this was very useful to sort & listen to a certian type of music quickly, but in mc 9. it's gone. will it be comming back? if not how cfan i add this to my view scheme?

You need to highlight "Audio" in the left hand tree instead of "Media Library, which I'm guessing is what you currently have highlighted.  ("Audio" should be the first entry below "Media Library.")  Highlighting "Media Library" only gives you "Artist" and "Album" category lists in the main window.  Highlighting "Audio" adds the "Genre" category list in it's own window.

Larry

nila

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2003, 04:08:13 am »

BUG:

Have a playlist in 'playing now'
Go to ANY plugin with the music stopped and press 'Play'
It comes up with an error message saying 'Please select file(s) to play' and upon returning to playing now the playlist is empty.

JaWe

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2003, 06:54:23 am »

The strangest is that Recently Imported isn't there, since it has always been there.

It is only visible after you have imported media. When you restart MC, the list is cleared and "Recently Imported" playlist in not visible anymore untill you import again.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2003, 08:54:36 am »

True if "Clear RI playlist on exit" is checked. See MC>Tools>Options>General>Importing & Tagging.

10-27

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2003, 09:15:40 am »

But the other ones:
Top Hits
Recently Played
Recently Imported  
Recently Ripped
Auto Smartlists (music)
Auto Smartlists (video & image)

If you're saying that the above playlists are in your playlists, I see Recently Imported in the list...

Wobbley

zurn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2003, 09:19:55 am »

If you're saying that the above playlists are in your playlists, I see Recently Imported in the list...

Wobbley

Thanks for replying to my question!   But no--i mean that these were *not* present with this installer, whereas a few days ago they were, but it wasn't updating my previous library properly.

steve
-steve

dingoBaby

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2003, 10:09:43 am »

I tried to import some SHN files last night and MC wouldn't recognize them.  There are five files in a folder and the scan reports that there were 0 scanned, 0 imported.

I can play the files but the bitrate and duration are not displayed in the library/playing now area but it is displayed in the player bar display.
I May Be Listening To:

Omni

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2003, 12:07:02 pm »

Bug:  Trying to play an AAC file with a ".mp4" extension causes a "Media Core" crash.  Renaming the file to ".aac" makes the problem go away.

Also, the bitrate is messed up.  I encoded the file at 160 kbps, but MC is showing rates between 700 and 850 kbps during playback.

UPDATE:  Okay, that's odd.   I played the song again, and now the bitrate is showing a constant 208.  Maybe a clue:  I convert an APE file which had the BPM tag set to 837.  The AAC file, of course, has the same setting since I haven't "re-analyzed" it yet.

UPDATE 2:  Um, okay, Bitrate is a read-only field, and has nothing to do with audio analysis.  How come the field is set to 837 when it should be 160?  Also, side-note, when trying to analyze the file, it guess it finishes converting to wave because the progress field counts up from 1% to 100%, but after that point, the progress field changes to "Queued"and nothing happens.

Omni

Squibbles

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2003, 04:08:49 pm »

Squibbles:  Try a full restore with 2.1, initialize for MC9, and then synch--that'll probably fix it...

Ahh.. works now. Thanks. :D

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2003, 04:41:25 pm »

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/10/18   Priority: Low
    Misspelling
    In the CD Auto Insert Check dialog box, the apostrophe in the word "Don't" in the bottom button is transposed with the t.  I have no way to check this now since I have it turned off.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/09/09   Priority: Low
    Folder Displayed Twice
    In My Computer, if a folder is dragged to a new location it appears two times.
Toast goes in the toaster.

jleerigby

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2003, 05:15:49 pm »

Playlist / Sort Bug:

Trying to create a smartlist that selects a single album at random I used the following:  ~a ~n=1 ~sort=[track #].

BUG1:  The above always selects the same album no matter how many times I refresh the view. If I remove the sort by track # element it works though it's obviously not sorted.

BUG2: As a workaround to BUG1 above I clicked the track# column in the smartlist and then 'Save the view> for this location'.  This worked but only on single artist albums.  For a multi-artist album the tracks are sorted by artist name.

[edit] The multi-artist sort problem only happens if I add the tracks to playing now by selecting the smartlist in hairstyle.  If I right click in MC and play then it works fine.  Wierd.

jleerigby

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2003, 05:29:35 pm »

Whilst Hairstyle is in view on my TV as monitor#2 my PC is almost unusable.  I can't access the start menu - it just flickers and disapears.  I can't maximise the windows for any other programs, can't double click a folder in explorer to open the folder etc etc.  As soon as I go back into MC and F11 to toggle away from hairstyle all is fine.  Can anyone reproduce this?

Omni

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2003, 05:34:14 pm »

Okay, this is just too odd.

As I mentioned above (and in another thread), I converted one of my ape files to AAC using dBpowerAMP's converter.

It gave it an ".mp4" extension, and MC "Media Core" crashed when I tried to open it.  After I gave it an ".aac" extension instead, I was able to load and play it just fine.

Odd thing is that now it Media Core's even on the .aac file.  Worse yet, trying to view the directory (inside MC's explorer) causes MC to Media Core.  Only if I remove the file from the diretory altogether will MC not crash.

Also, I just tried encoding the file again, but MC refuses to not Media Core when trying to access it.

I know you won't believe me, but nothing has changed on my system today.  In fact, between the last playback of the file and the recent Media Core, I had not even closed MC.  (It's been running all day.)

Omni

Media Center Registered 9.1.289 -- E:\bin\audio\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2797 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 618 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive R:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive S:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive R: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PREMIUM     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

ZRocker

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2003, 08:01:58 pm »

Bugs (again and again):
1. CD-R/W burning doesn't work again.  I tried to buid a data CD burn list of 107 MP3s and MC just locks up (100% CPU usage) when I attempt to create the data CD burn list.  Tried this 5 times and each time I had to kill MC after about 2 to 5 mins of 'lockup time'.  Can we get the old Goldenhawk CD burning engine back in MC again so at least burning becomes stable/useable again?  (sure would be nice to rely on MJ/MC again for burning).

2. After 10 mins, data CD burn list got built...attempted burn, but locks up PC on 1st track to burn...happened twice!!  Can we get the old Goldenhawk burning engine back...please?  The MC/MJ cd burning engine has never been very good and only seems to get worse.  Maybe if it were open sourced, some of the fine developers using MC could fix it up nicely.

Update:
Turning on CDWriter.log is no good...when on and in Test mode, writing works but the overhead of writing the log slows the PC to a crawl.  With CDWriter.log off, the burn locks up the PC and have to reboot.  Still have the 10 min add to data CD burn list issue too (this used to happen in MC builds a few months back too...old feature is back).

vph

• Recent member
  • Say no more! Say no more!
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2003, 12:21:49 am »

A smaller issue but one that bugs me - in an older version the function you selected in the action window was captured upon exit allowing you to return to that function when you launched at a later point.

For example, I'm usually tweaking the tag values under file properties.  In MC 9.1.225, whenever I launch MC the tag value editor is always brought up in the action window.  

Am I just not seeing how to do it in 9.1.289?
Have you disabled/removed the functionality?
Is this just too low a priority?
Is there some deadly connection between this item and mad-cow disease, thus putting us all in harms way?

VPH

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2003, 01:51:23 am »

Is there any chance that in the near future MC will support the Hauppauge Win TV PVR250/350 for watching TV in MC? Till now MC doesn't recognize my TV-card.
A day without laughing is a day without living

JNKH

• World Citizen
  • I love Media Center
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2003, 02:23:32 am »

Tried ths new build.  When burning CDROM, gets a core dump.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2003, 08:33:24 am »

...in an older version the function you selected in the action window was captured upon exit allowing you to return to that function when you launched at a later point.

It's by design because it was confusing to new users.  Selecting files and hitting Alt-Enter will get you to tagging.

durandman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2003, 12:36:16 pm »

I want to be able to make my own visualizations in the studio but im not able to edit the individual properties and when I try to remove a line item it tells me to select a component even after it's highlighted. i know with a previous version I was able to make these changes.  Now all I can do is insert something and can not alter it... please help!!!  

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2003, 02:20:45 pm »

...in an older version the function you selected in the action window was captured upon exit allowing you to return to that function when you launched at a later point.

It's by design because it was confusing to new users.  Selecting files and hitting Alt-Enter will get you to tagging.

Is it possible to offer this as an option?  It seems pretty much universal that once users are familiar with MC, they definitely prefer the AW to default to the tag info page, or at least to a "most commonly used" page.  I know two people who just don't want to have to remember Alt-Enter.

Larry

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2003, 04:23:05 pm »

Is there any chance that in the near future MC will support the Hauppauge Win TV PVR250/350 for watching TV in MC? Till now MC doesn't recognize my TV-card.

Hi Berto,

The short answer is, unfortunately, no. This has been asked before and JimH has indicated that it won't happen anytime soon unless Hauppauge supplies the necessary drivers for MC9. I have the same card.

BTW, your question should not be under this post by Matt for MC 9.1.289, but under the general MC9 section.
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

hasdrubal

• nothing more to say...
Re:Media Center 9.1.289 Why can't I download it?
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2003, 04:42:55 pm »

I cannot download the new version 9.1 at the upgrade price of $19.98. Your website doesn't seem to recognize my query. What can I do?

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2003, 05:06:14 pm »

Sometimes the track plays about 30sec and MC skips to the next one  ?  If I  start this track again it play correct. Can't see a system in this behavior
Writing tags sometimes failes and produces a second file with same name but with .mp3.XXXXXXXXXXXX extension which I can't delete unless reboot my client (or delete this file on the server by using it's console, my files are on a network drive)
AC
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2003, 10:00:01 am »

Why Does Some Mp3's Say "Inside File" And Some Say "Internal"?

All Files Have Been Imported With Images Or Tagged With Images  With This Version

Files With "Internal" Do Not Show The Image

http://www.spartasoft.com/pub/internal.jpg
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2003, 12:05:26 pm »

Writing tags sometimes failes and produces a second file with same name but with .mp3.XXXXXXXXXXXX extension which I can't delete unless reboot my client (or delete this file on the server by using it's console, my files are on a network drive)
AC

See this post for a possible explanation for this.
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?

hasdrubal

• nothing more to say...
Re:Media Center 9.1.289 available Downloading
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2003, 08:12:20 pm »

?
Why can't I detect the new upgrade from MJ 8.0? The notification indicates upgrades to 9.0 are available to 8.0 users for $19.98. How can I download the new version if my 8.0 version doesn't recognize the upgrade?

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2003, 08:21:01 pm »

How can I download the new version if my 8.0 version doesn't recognize the upgrade?
Just download the build at the beginning of this thread (or wait until tomorrow for the next build). Instructions for switching from MJ8 to MC9 can be found here.
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2003, 10:30:47 am »

If a music file is not available (e.g., when the connection to a file server is down), the icon becomes a big red X (in the new icon set).

When the connection is restored, the icon doesn't change back.

Ric

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2003, 03:55:34 pm »

This build seems to have a major issue with uninstall. After a certain point it just pops up a dialogue with "File info can't be displayed" or something to that effect then stops. On one computer this caused the error to occur when right clicking in anything on the desktop or in Windows Explorer... Had to restore from a backup to fix Windows....

Ric

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2003, 04:00:00 pm »

Just tried to install an older build over it to see if it would let me uninstall, but the install fails with the same error. The exact error message is: "Failed to load product info file."
Pages: [1]   Go Up