INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld as a real HD  (Read 987 times)

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
Handheld as a real HD
« on: November 01, 2003, 05:52:03 pm »

I've posted some lines in a Creative forum. I reproduce it here:

--

I just bought a Jukebox ZEN NX, and I feel I have been lied. I think I will return it to the store.

I thought I would see Jukebox hard drive as a real HD on my system. I thought I was buying a HD where place and execute archives and software, not only music. I expected to free some space by moving my music collection to that drive. Now, I can't move the files to the handheld and play and organize them using my regular PC jukebox.

Why exists this limitation? Thechinal reasons?

Does Creative offers any jukebox that acts as a real HD? Exists such product on the market?

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Handheld as a real HD
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 07:28:57 pm »

I am not sure that I understand what your getting at.

Have you tried to use there software to transfer files?
I think it's called file manager.
-

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 07:49:05 pm »

Yes, I tried it. But i dont want to use a specific software to read and write into the HD's handheld.

I can't edit a Word document stored in there. I can't play a song using Media Center. I can't run a setup.exe (or whatever) stored in the handheld.

I thought it was a portable jukebox/portable HD. It is not.

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 08:45:23 pm »

Ok, I get what your saying.

I guess I just never thought of it that way...
-

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 01:46:38 pm »

Some one in the Creative forum has answered me. He says there are technical reasons. FYI:

<<There are technical reasons. The filesystem is supposedly optimized for an MP3 players (usually 5-10 MB files accessed in a more or less sequential way). Is this special filesystem that makes the external-HD feature not as easy to implement as it seems. >>

As I explained to him, it is not what I was looking for. Here is my answer to him:

---

Ok. I guess optimization has to be very important, because the functionality we would gain is enormous.

Right now, I can't edit a Word document stored into the Zen NX. I can't run a setup.exe (or whatever) stored in the handheld. I can't tag or play the music using my favorite PC jukebox (Media Center, it is awesome). And I need twice HD space to store the music (in the laptop, and in the Creative Jukebox).

The problem is my 40 GB HD has become short to store OS, software, documents, pictures, and music. I thought investing 350 $ in the Jukebox ZEN NX would solve my problems. It does not.

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 01:49:25 pm »

By the way, exists the product I am looking for on the market?

I've heard of someone saying Archos offers it. But I have not been able to find the product...

Well, any information appreciated...

Regards,

Polonio
Pages: [1]   Go Up